Audio Technica ATH- M40x vs Sennheiser hd 280 pro

Flodian
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

@ZacDaMan72

Ya i saw that video, but for me the sound isolation and comfort perhaps is even more important than sound. I current have the UE 6000, and the sound isolation is really iffy on it. 

I don't think anything under $100 is going to be all that much better than the UE6000, which is a pretty good closed can in it's own right.

Tyll from Innerfidelity graphs all the headphones mentioned so far, including isolation performance. UE6000, M50X (isolation should be about the same as the M40X), HD 280 Pro, and MDR-V6 (again, isolation should be about the same as the 7506).

Pretty much the same price point in Canada, between these 2 headphones, which one would make a better daily driver? So that means I will be using this at home/office but also a bit on the road. I know both of these have none mobile cords, but relatively speaking between: 

Sounds

Durability

Comfort 

Sound isolation 

What do you guys think?

I can't talk about these headphones durability/comfort/sound isolation because I don't use them. But the M40X sounds the best.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

@ZacDaMan72

Ya i saw that video, but for me the sound isolation and comfort perhaps is even more important than sound. I current have the UE 6000, and the sound isolation is really iffy on it. 

@ZacDaMan72

Aren't the UE6000's noise cancelling? Since they're studio monitors they should have good comfort and sound isolation because it's made for people that are using them for hours...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

@ZacDaMan72

I don't think anything under $100 is going to be all that much better than the UE6000, which is a pretty good closed can in it's own right.

Tyll from Innerfidelity graphs all the headphones mentioned so far, including isolation performance. UE6000, M50X (isolation should be about the same as the M40X), HD 280 Pro, and MDR-V6 (again, isolation should be about the same as the 7506).

The noise canceling doesn't really work... might be just my model but ya....

The noise canceling doesn't really work... might be just my model but ya....

Did you put batteries in it?

post-2468-0-83939700-1418947904.gif

@ShearMe 

B) yes LOL ... but the buzz is distracting for me and I can barely feel the noise reduction. 

But if I were to pick between the HD280s vs M40x which one would you recommend?

But if I were to pick between the HD280s vs M40x which one would you recommend?

Well, 280 has slightly better isolation, but I know that's from the higher clamp force which could result in lesser comfort, but I also know the M40X's clamp force is decently high as well. The M40X has a removable cable, which means it's replaceable, which means it'll last as long as you're willing to replace broken cables.

Up to you to decide what you want.