Netflix says offline playback is 'never going to happen'

houseofcards_offline.jpg

Makes sense. Netflix would have to redo their licensing agreements across the globe and implement some form of DRM that even allowed for offline viewing. It sucks, but there is only so much Netflix could offer consumers while still being allowed by the studios that allow them the content in the first place. 

Ever since Netflix mistakenly said that offline viewing would come to Honeycomb tablets, we've waited (and opined) for the moment when it'd happen. Unfortunately, the streaming company is turning a blind eye to our needs as its head of communications saying that cached playback is "never going to happen." In an interview with TechRadar, Cliff Edwards said that the feature is a "short term fix for a bigger problem" -- namely, a lack of high-speed WiFi in certain places. As far as he's concerned, we're not far away from having ubiquitous internet wherever we dare to tread.

Of course, offline viewing would require a lot of negotiations with studios determined to protect what's left of their sales revenue. We wouldn't have been surprised had the company simply refused to discuss the question should things change in the future. Because of Edwards' readiness to shoot down the idea once and for all, it's clear that Netflix is happy to ignore the wide variety of situations where WiFi or cellular connectivity is physically impossible or difficult to procure. Perhaps he won't be so quick to dismiss our desires after he's suffered through a few long-haul flights with a broken at-seat entertainment console.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/17/netflix-crushes-our-dreams/?ncid=rss_truncated
http://www.techradar.com/news/video/netflix-offline-viewing-is-never-going-to-happen--1277413#null

I think thats probably the best

The amount or red tape would be insane, and I imagine many companies would withdraw their shows and movies if people could download and keep them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The amount or red tape would be insane, and I imagine many companies would withdraw their shows and movies if people could download and keep them

Some self-destructing content please. 

Unfortunately, Netflix, while a great solution for people who are at home, becomes completely worthless for anyone who travels a lot (trains/airplanes/cruises/internationally/etc...)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Dont see why this is a huge issue. theres Wifi EVERYWHERE nowadays. atleast here in the states. current streaming is just fine. 

Im happy you can stream instead of mailing dvds. yet it was really exciting to get the dvd

I was trying to figure out why those letters in the picture were highlighted in blue.

I'm so slow.

This mission, should you chose to accept it, will begin streaming to you in 5 seconds. 

Please delete this file, you have 3 seconds before your PC explodes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This mission, should you chose to accept it, will begin streaming to you in 5 seconds. 

Honestly though, if I would definitely consider a Netflix subscription if I could keep some shows downloaded and not have to worry about not having internet. (well, that and adding new seasons in a reasonable amount of time)

Dont see why this is a huge issue. theres Wifi EVERYWHERE nowadays. atleast here in the states. current streaming is just fine. 

Im happy you can stream instead of mailing dvds. yet it was really exciting to get the dvd

A lot of people travel, and wifi on planes/cruises is awful, and does Netflix even work all over the world (I know Hulu is pretty much limited to North America). Not to mention, internet often cuts out...or isn't really fast enough to stream...or you're on a car ride.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The only way I could see this happening is for there to be a limitation set in place where you couldn't rewind in any way and you could only watch it once. Otherwise, everyone would just liken it to pirating and either the program would get shut down or companies would start to take their movies off of Netflix entirely. It would be nice to have offline viewing, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Some self-destructing content please. 

Unfortunately, Netflix, while a great solution for people who are at home, becomes completely worthless for anyone who travels a lot (trains/airplanes/cruises/internationally/etc...)

BBC iPlayer has something like this iirc, it lets you download the show to the desktop app, and after a week, I think, it will automatically force the file to be un-playable, its also coded weird through the program to stop you from copying the file to another location. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Fine with me. Offline playback would only cause problems for them.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|