ALXAndy's all valve based cinema. Mostly..

ALXAndy

So something very different.

Up until now I have never built a true 5.1 cinema rig. Mainly because it's hard to do it properly and tidy with the cheap sets you buy. My lady and I recently decided it was time to do it properly, so here's what I got. I had two stipulations.

1. I wanted all Scandyna Podspeakers (B&W drivers in pod shells)

2. I wanted as much of it, or all, to be based on valve (tube for you yanks) amplifiers.

Mission set...

My first purchase was these. These RRP over £400, I paid £239 brand new boxed.

smallpod2.jpg

They're called Scandyna Smallpods. Another pic.

smallpod.jpg

And you can clearly see why I wanted Pod speakers. They're absolutely stunning and sound incredible too, given curved pods eliminate nearly all standing waves.

To power the Smallpods I bought this.

koda.jpg

The Koda T-5002. It's a transistor based output amplifier but the pre amp stage is all valve. Meaning you get the valve sound. I managed to buy this on Ebay from a seller in Greece for £90. They retail at over 350 Euro, so it was a damn good buy.

Then it was time for the rear stage, enter the Scandyna Micopod. 

micropod.jpg

These RRP at £300 but I managed to find a Bluetooth set on Amazon for £119. I took apart the amplified speaker and removed all of the bluetooth circuitry, then rewired the crossover to speak directly with the drivers instead of the amp. Totally successful there :)

So now I needed another valve based amp for the rear stage, I chose the Fatman Mitube 2.

fatman.jpg

I did hunt high and low for another Koda but sadly to no avail. The Mitube cost me £190, more than I wanted to spend but he's a beaut Clark. Again, transistor output but this one has a magic eye that flashes as sound passes through it. Nice touch !

Then it was time for a subwoofer. I originally bought a Vibe Cinesound 6 which is a 6" sub powered. It's fine, but after digging on Ebay I found this. It's a Scandyna Bass station MKII. These retail at £750, I bought this one for £129.

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

You can clearly see the problem. However, I've been assured it works 100% so the two faults are that it's come apart and the spiked sputnik feet are missing. Thankfully I have spare feet from the Smallpods, and I'm pretty sure I can fix it for less than £10 with some fibreglass matting and epoxy. I'll strip it, fix it, then put it back together.

Now. Obviously by going this route I need some sort of decoder, enter the HD Audio Rush.

decoder.jpg

This is a 5.1 optical decoder and DAC to 5.1 RCA. Talking of RCA. I made all of the inter connects myself for £15.

rfcable.jpg

Rockford Fosgate.

plugs.jpg

China FTW :D

Of course, no cinema rig would be complete without a TV. Enter the Hisense 65" 120hz 4k.

hisense65.jpg

Which will be going on the wall above the fireplace when I can get my brother round to help me :)

It's currently all set up and working beautifully. The sub should be here Tues, so I'll update on that :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

2. I wanted as much of it, or all, to be based on valve (tube for you yanks) amplifiers.

Skipped this line... was extremely confused as to what this had to do with valve software lol

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Skipped this line... was extremely confused as to what this had to do with valve software lol

/Duke Nukem... I fucking hate valve puzzles :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

that decoder doesnt support any of the HD audio - such as TrueHD or DTSHDMA.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Would you marry me?(20 yo/M kinda social akward but very very goood electronic student)

Or would adopt me?

or anything among these lines?

that decoder doesnt support any of the HD audio - such as TrueHD or DTSHDMA.

I'm not fussed. You can immediately tell the stuff that is broadcast in surround, anything that's not supported is pseudo which is fine with me.

It's the audio quality I'm after, and I do believe I got that :)

Would you marry me?(20 yo/M kinda social akward but very very goood electronic student)

Or would adopt me?

or anything among these lines?

Sadly you were too late Hippy, I'm getting married to the woman of my dreams on 2nd Jan :D

if you are after audio quality in regards to HT then DTSHDMA and TrueHD is so much better than your standard DTS.

Stereo listening totally different - your setup would be awesome for music.  but the DAC / Decoder is the weakest part by far.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Very interesting.

You say you are into the surround sound and want the home theater experience, but dont tube amps change the tone of the sound; making them great for music but less than desirable for movie audio fidelity?

Im not disagreeing with you, actually im just interested in your reasoning since i am planning an ht build in the coming year but dont have much experience/knowledge in ht audio yet.

Thanks!

And i do love your freaky spaceships lol

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

if you are after audio quality in regards to HT then DTSHDMA and TrueHD is so much better than your standard DTS.

Stereo listening totally different - your setup would be awesome for music.  but the DAC / Decoder is the weakest part by far.

It's mostly music yes :) I did buy one of these..

http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-449-cyp-hdmi-audio-de-embedder.aspx?st=22&source=paidclick&gclid=CL2B_K_6x8ICFeHHtAodaEcA5Q

But it was DOA. I bought the cheaper one first but tbh? I'm so happy with it I'm not going to bother with anything better.

Very interesting.

You say you are into the surround sound and want the home theater experience, but dont tube amps change the tone of the sound; making them great for music but less than desirable for movie audio fidelity?

Im not disagreeing with you, actually im just interested in your reasoning since i am planning an ht build in the coming year but dont have much experience/knowledge in ht audio yet.

Thanks!

And i do love your freaky spaceships lol

Valves have a warmer sound. That's about it really. It's definitely a matter of taste. Kind of like LCD vs plasma (though LCD has gotten a lot better of late)

Sadly you were too late Hippy, I'm getting married to the woman of my dreams on 2nd Jan :D

i heard polygamy is not prohibited in UK;)

Congratulation and good luck :)

Andy link doesnt work for me.

DAC is a very important part of an audio system. 

What about the Source? what are you using?

I'm using the optical out of the TV mate..

Sub came today.

One hour was all it took.

DSC00356_zpsa445ac1d.jpg

Basically it wasn't broken, it had just slipped the mounts. Took it all apart and bolted it back together then rebuilt, job done. Very happy would not even begin to describe how I feel right now lol.

Update. So you'll note the black trim from where the sub joins is missing. I found it inside the sub, and have glued it in for now. Sadly there is about 6" missing. It looks a bit crap without the trim, so I spent twenty mins digging on Ebay and found this.

sorted.jpg

10m of the same stuff for 99p. Will probably take a month to arrive but hey, it's perfect. Thankfully the sub is ported with a massive port so it doesn't make it air tight :)

Gave it a testing too with some Creep by Radiohead. I wouldn't want to be the Polish people in the basement flat.....

Fixed the rubber trim and stuck the feet from the Smallpods in with epoxy and...

DSC00358.jpg

Poifect.

did you do the subwoofer crawl, or did you decide to place the woofer their due to aesthetic reasons?

Also please calibrate your tv.

TV is fine it's just my camera in low light scenarios.

It's going on Monday any way, the 4k TV is going up :D

And how appropriate it was that I took the pic, from my sitting position, whilst Mr Kerridge was dishing up some of his best.

IMG_20141222_1241561.jpg

Proper Lush !

I totally agree Tom.

nice - didnt realise how tiny those speakers are. 

just a suggestion you should lower the front two speakers to ear level.

nice - didnt realise how tiny those speakers are. 

just a suggestion you should lower the front two speakers to ear level.

Impossible due to the height of the radiators and the fact that I use the floor space below the TV (my desk is in the left corner).