For Boinc Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated Oct 2013

Please join " LinusTechTips_Team " in Boinc

LINKS:

Stats Link:

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/b85bbff1c6df413a4b44cfb82854273f/

GPU Project Lists:

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing

DC-Vault Link (site that links numerous project teams into one global score)

http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=547

Badges

In order to be rewarded with the Boinc Team badge, please note the following requirements. (subject to change)

• Contributor - When you have contributed more than 25,000 points, your will qualify for this badge, to show your commitment to LTT and the team. 
  • Bronze Contributor - When you have contributed more than 1 Million points, your will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team.
  • Silver Contributor - When you have contributed more than 25 Million points, your will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources.
  • Gold Contributor - When you have contributed more than 100 Million points, your will qualify for this badge.. This reflects your dedication and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources. You are now a legend!

That's it. Once you hit one of the milestones, PM your Boinc ID to one of the moderators who will update it in due time.

Quick Install:

Thanks to @Brainiac777 for this...

JUST SOME HELP FOR DA NOOBS LIKE MEH:

If this is your first time joining a team or just started use BOINC, this is how to join us.
1. Have a BOINC account that is running a project, E.g. SETI@home or Einstein@HOME
2. In the BOINC Manager Program, click on "view" and set it to "advance view".
3. In the advance view, click on the "Projects" tab, here, you will find a list of your projects
4. Click on one of your projects that you want to join the LinusTechTips_Team and on the left side under "Project web pages", click "Your account".
5. From their, it will open a web page at shows your account on that project, on the right, their is this community section, find the text that says "Find a team" and click on it.
6. From their, search for the LinusTechTips team and click on the result that is relevant (The one that is right) and click the "join this team" text.
7. To confirm your on the team, go back into the BOINC Manager and see if says "LinusTechTips_Team" under the Team header, if you don't try to update it or you didn't follow a step correctly.
8. And now you have joined our team, welcome aboard and happy hunting for aliens.

Using GPU and CPU for different Projects: (thanks to @Patramix for this!)

I am assuming you want something like Seti@home to use GPU and Rosetta to use CPU(this is what i have on my pc)? or something like that

To achieve that, you need to go on your account page for the project you want to use the CPU and GPU, then go to your @home preferences (under the preferences section where it says for example seti@home preferences).

Once on that page under the Primary (default) preferences section you can force that project to only use the CPU and/or GPU for task's under the Use CPU and Use ATI/Nvidia GPU's. Save your modifications, then either update manually the project in your boinc manager or let it self update and tada that project will only use either the CPU or GPU (or both).

Keep in mind not all project carry both cpu and GPU tasks. so make sure to check your project to see if it as both.

Also dont worry about the 0.015% cpu use for GPU task you cant change that and you will still have all cpu threads for your other project, like for me, my GPU does only Seti@home and cpu do only rosseta

If your running multiple pc's you can use the other profiles to change what each pc does.

Edited by Whaler_99
Adding in additional information

Nice... good to see!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Just started it, so it might take a day or two to get going.

im also in the team now :)(boincstats wont agree with me tho;probably needs time to update it)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hey I signed up for the team yesterday (though it still isn't listing it on the "Team member movements" page, some delay there I guess, but it does list LinusTechTips on the "Teams" page link. I've been doing BOINC/Seti for quite a while now, hopefully I can help the team.

I've got a Hackintosh, Cooler Master HAF XM Case, Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, Ivy Bridge i5 3570k, 16GB 1600MHz HyperX RAM, Thermaltake Performer Liquid Cooler, OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI SSD, etc.

-Brian

Hi Levent,

It does take a day or two for it to go, but some of the project such a World Community Grid you need to go and put in the team name for it to count. So just keep out an eye on the projects in the Project tap to see if the team name appears.

That awesome that you jioned, welcome.

Hey Bthompson73,

I seen you on the team stats, thanks for joining and welcome to you too.

I got a:

CPU: i7 950

Mobo: EVGA x58 FTW

Ram: 6Gb of DDR3 Dominators

Cooler: H80

And I also run BOINC on my media PC which is running an AMD A8 8350 quad core.

Rob

I joined! I've got a gaming desktop that sits and idles 99% of the time so at least its doing something now!

WOW!! We have 4 super Awesome peeps now on the team.

The team rank in Canada is at 414 place and 14,135 in the world.

I can see these numbers are going to be much smaller in the days to come.

Keep up the good work.

If anyone has question on the Boinc, do ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

A big welcome to RX14 and Whaler_99 for joining the Boinc team. Thank you!!!!

Hi Guys' date=' A big welcome to RX14 and Whaler_99 for joining the Boinc team. Thank you!!!![/quote']

Thanks! Figured I could one of my systems on this project. Doing SETI - man, does that ever bring back memories of the good old days. Just need to figure it all out. Don't think Boinc Stats getting updated properly... ah well, more to play with.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hi guyw,

We have 2 more peeps to welcome, Anthony Di Iorio and David Ch.

Welcome, Welcome.

could i join two teams? i've already joined my high school's team. running WCG. i have 2 rigs running it.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Feel happy to be on the team! Had I known about this, would have joined earlier.

If this is your first time joining a team or just started use BOINC, this is how to join us.

1. Have a BOINC account that is running a project, E.g. SETI@home or Einstein@HOME

3. In the advance view, click on the "Projects" tab, here, you will find a list of your projects

4. Click on one of your projects that you want to join the LinusTechTips_Team and on the left side under "Project web pages", click "Your account".

5. From their, it will open a web page at shows your account on that project, on the right, their is this community section, find the text that says "Find a team" and click on it.

6. From their, search for the LinusTechTips team and click on the result that is relevant (The one that is right) and click the "join this team" text.

7. To confirm your on the team, go back into the BOINC Manager and see if says "LinusTechTips_Team" under the Team header, if you don't try to update it or you didn't follow a step correctly.

8. And now you have joined our team, welcome aboard and happy hunting for aliens! :D

8. And now you have joined our team, welcome aboard and happy hunting for aliens! :D

Here it is. You have to click on the "see more" at the bottom of the post.

could i join two teams? i've already joined my high school's team. running WCG. i have 2 rigs running it.
With 2 rigs you can, but you may have to use 2 different user names.

Feel happy to be on the team! Had I known about this, would have joined earlier.
What is your user name on the Team?

Thanks!