770 2GB vs 7950 3GB

7850OC
Go to solution Solved by MegaTechPC,

I'd go for the 770 for PhysX and because I personally prefer Nvidia at the moment.  The extra GB of VRAM won't matter at 1080p and the GK104 GPU in the 770 is a bit stronger than the Tahiti in the 7950.  Either card would be more than adequate though.

(i am testing how make a poll here, so don't worry too much if i make some mistake)

I love the 7950 and have hear many good things about it but if I had to choose the 770 would definitely win, SLI is a better option in the future (unless AMD sorts that out) and generally speaking Nvidia Control Panel has a lot of great features. 770 is more powerful anyways. Kind of an unfair fight

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I love the 7950 and have hear many good things about it but if I had to choose the 770 would definitely win, SLI is a better option in the future (unless AMD sorts that out) and generally speaking Nvidia Control Panel has a lot of great features. 770 is more powerful anyways. Kind of an unfair fight

lol true :lol:, is unfair

but it's something that is in the mind of many

i really don't care ho win  ^_^

770 is more powerful anyways. Kind of an unfair fight

You can't say it's unfair because it has more power. You're comparing to see which one is better. If they're supposed to be equal...why are we comparing them?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i would still choose the 7950 because: 1 - 4 free games               2 - Extra Vram (i know 2 gb is usually enough for 1080p but i mod skyrim like crazy :P)  3 - good enough for 1080p            4 - i would use the extra money for an ssd

EDIT: Not a fan of AMD but it just seems to make more sense to go with the 7950

posted today, rant30 PM

You can't say it's unfair because it has more power. You're comparing to see which one is better. If they're supposed to be equal...why are we comparing them?

People compare things that are alike and people compare things that are very different. But those are all situations type comparisons, in this situation, if money was of no issue, what sane person would choose a less powerful GPU? Godly, it makes perfect sense, also before you put a bunch of variables in my face about how some people can't use a 770 because of bottlenecking or about how an AMD fan wouldn't choose it, I am going to say most people who are unbiased are going to choose the 770 because of those reasons. It's unfair to compare them and then ask which on would people choose. It's a no brain'r. If someone came up to you and asked who you would vote for and the comparison was 'guy is who generally ok' or 'guy who is blatantly better' who would you choose.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

posted today, rant30 PM

People compare things that are alike and people compare things that are very different. But those are all situations type comparisons, in this situation, if money was of no issue, what sane person would choose a less powerful GPU? Godly, it makes perfect sense, also before you put a bunch of variables in my face about how some people can't use a 770 because of bottlenecking or about how an AMD fan wouldn't choose it, I am going to say most people who are unbiased are going to choose the 770 because of those reasons. It's unfair to compare them and then ask which on would people choose. It's a no brain'r. If someone came up to you and asked who you would vote for and the comparison was 'guy is who generally ok' or 'guy who is blatantly better' who would you choose.

Assuming no games...yes...but AMD's cards come with games. Which effectively lowers the price you pay, which in turn lowers the value of the card effectively. It depends. Do you plan on using multiple GPUs? If so, 770...that is if you want to run everything natively. You could use RadeonPro to fix most of the issues that currently plague CrossfireX configs. If you're buying a 770, you probably have a decent CPU to back it up. Also, how many frames do you get per dollar? Which in turn creates a new value you have to consider compared to another card.

This is not an argument. This is just showing a different perspective.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Also, just for reference, I did some math on the effective price for this Gigabyte 7950. The card's base price is $320. It comes with four games with a combined value of $170. If you subtract $170 from $320, you get $150. The effective value of the card is $150.

Performance wise, 770. Value wise for 1080p, 7950 hands down. I can get 7950 Vapor-X under $300 + 3 free games now.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I would say 7950 if you want to take the bundle of games but price to performance i would get a 770. well i have 770 so i can say to you its great. Just a beefed up 680 that's $100 cheaper.

7950s are faster than 680s at high resolutions, not sure how much of a difference the vram overclock on the 770 has made to that..

This is senseless, a 300$ card vs a 400$ "scratching head!", you should compare a 770 to a 7970.

I'd go with the 7950, and actually did and have been very happy with the performance it delivers for my uses. Then again, at the time the 7950 was competing against the 670, not the 770, so maybe today I'd do go with the other card.

I'd go for the 770 for PhysX and because I personally prefer Nvidia at the moment.  The extra GB of VRAM won't matter at 1080p and the GK104 GPU in the 770 is a bit stronger than the Tahiti in the 7950.  Either card would be more than adequate though.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Neither! Get the 670 FTW+ 4GB for the same price as the 770 after $20 rebate on Amazon.

time to close this...

and the winner is... 

in this unfair unfair race...

the 400$ card

have beat the 300$ card

shocking news is it ?  :lol:

(i have no idia how close the poll lol)