Mineral Oil PC Kit Giveaway

Hate seeing this type of thing happen to legitimate companies. Can't believe patent trolls are still allowed to do this type of thing. Either way, I've always been interested in mineral cooled PC's, but was always discouraged because I thought the only way to make one would involve modding a fish tank or something like that. It'd be amazing to win one. If chosen, I would prefer mITX but would accept either kit.

Hate seeing this type of thing happen to legitimate companies. Can't believe patent trolls are still allowed to do this type of thing. Either way, I've always been interested in mineral cooled PC's, but was always discouraged because I thought the only way to make one would involve modding a fish tank or something like that. It'd be amazing to win one. If chosen, I would prefer mITX but would accept either kit. EDIT: double posted for some reason.

Thanks for doing this guys! I hope i win haha. I dont care which variation, if i win the one that is available will decide which direction I go, I am not picky :) 

logo_med.png

A few weeks ago we received some VERY sad news - due to a patent troll, our friends at Puget Systems have been forced to cease production and sales on their awesome series of mineral oil PC starter kits (you can read more about what happened here). This hits pretty close to home for our company, as Puget's mineral oil systems piqued Luke's interest a few years ago, which eventually led to him building his own mineral oil system.

First off, we would like to thank Puget Systems for providing this awesome service to the community. As they have mentioned quite a few times in the past, this was a passion project for them more than anything else, and we are sad to see it end this way.

But now that we have the sad news out of the way, there is a pretty sweet silver lining for the Linus Tech Tips community...

Since they cannot sell the kits that they currently have in stock, Puget Systems is GIVING AWAY four of their remaining mineral oil PC kits to four lucky members of this community. There are three Mini ITX kits and one MATX kit available.

Unfortunately, this giveaway is only open to residents of the Continental United States and Canada. We wish we could give everyone in the world the mineral oil PC hook-ups, but it isn't feasible to ship these kits internationally :(

How do I enter?
Leave a comment below to enter in the draw. One comment (entry) per user. I have a feeling that Puget will be checking this thread periodically, so feel free to leave some positive words for them - were you inspired by their awesome kits? Did they get you interested in mineral oil PCs? Are there any cool projects you would like to see them take on in the future?

Also, please mention (in your comment) which variation of kit you would prefer if you are chosen as one of the lucky winners. This will NOT have an impact on winner selection, but it will make it easier to assign a kit to each winner.

Entries close December 18 at 4pm PT, so be sure to leave you comment here before that time. The winner will be selected on December 19.

IMPORTANT NOTE
If you are lucky enough to win one of these kits, you MUST provide us with proof of purchase for mineral oil BEFORE the kit will be shipped to you. These are four of the last kits available from Puget, and they are only going to be given away to community members who are serious about building a mineral oil PC.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

EDIT: I've seen some concerns in the thread about getting the mineral oil by December 19. There will be a grace period of one week for winners to provide us with proof of purchase. Just reply and let us know that you will be purchasing the oil when you can, and forward the proper paperwork when it is available.

Man I've been saving for building my own pc for a year now and all i got is my processor so far lol. I'd prefer any available but small might be the way to go. Thanks Pudget for posting this giveaway with Linus!

If would be amazing if I won the matix, love all the helpfull information you throw out. It has made me excited to make a mineral oil build.

Ive been wanting to build a mineral oil machine ever since I saw Slick do his a while back on LTT. These have always interested me but I have never had the money to buy the case required to do so. Now I am in a better place financially and I would love to build one for myself. If I win, I prefer the mAtx one. Thanks :)

Oh my god I would love to win one of these. I've been wanting to build a Mineral Oil cooled PC ever since I saw Luke's first one, and when I found Puget system's site and saw these I wanted one instantly. I kept thinking someday I'll save up the money for the parts and get one of the kits. Now that it's not possible to buy one, I really hope I win one. I don't think I could build an oil cooled system in anything else.

Really crappy to hear about the patent scuffle. I looked forward to seeing more builds like Linus and Slicks build with your product. I've seen other ones on the Tube with inferior products. I'm in the midst of building a new computer and would love to make use of my now obsolete FM1 chipped mini-ITX rig. I still use it as my shop gamin' rig but I think I could do a better theme than the fish tank style.

Cheers on the build Linus and Slick, I enjoyed every episode. I'd like to see an update running the same tests in about six months to see if there has been any degradation in the system.

Thank you Puget Systems for giving these cases away, at the very least it is a moral victory against the patient trolls.

I would like to win one of the mini itx cases

Hey LinusTech and Puget sorry to hear about your news, it's disgraceful to hear what they have done to you guys. I really feel for you guys, I heard what Linus and Slick were saying on their WAN videos about samsung countering Nvidia I think it was by trying to sue that small company Nvidia was supplying their products to. This which made me swap out the samsung storage components in my upcoming Micro ATX build because I just couldn't fathom giving them a cent. Very ungraceful of them. I hope one day you can supply these cases to more enthusiasts again and excel in all your other endeavours :).

I know this was for US and Canada only but I would like to still enter even if deemed invalid for being down under in Australia. (I would be more than happy to pay for all the postage and insurance and any other costs to ensure the safety of the case to Australia). 

I'm currently building my second computer, (first time physically building it myself), and the first time it will be a Micro ATX (which would be the kit I would like to win if taken the consideration for, if not that's ok I'd still just like you guys to know that theres at least one person this far across the globe that is rooting for you :))

I've been sticking by the Mineral Oil build since the first video and I watched Slick talk about his old mineral pc which was damaged (which was one of also the reasons I was highly contemplating to build one, to show support for his first model and do him proud, even though he doesn't know me hah idk). I was first watching the Phenom mATX build and have bought a few things but the case and graphics card. I'm not one for swapping components in and out regularly so I would love to give a mineral pc a go. 

I'd also love to make a build log for it and upload it to LinusTech, showing my documentation and photos / videos to Slick and the rest of the community. I've learnt so much from you guys. Anyway, Puget Systems sorry to hear that again :( 

Thanks guys love the work, can't wait to watch some of the shock collar footage ;) play nice! 

or don't ;) 

I really want to try a mineral oil rig, I have done some acryllic custom loop water cooling kits but not a mineral oil version. Seems like a challenge that is worthy of accepting.

Woah, I was so hyped to do an Mineral oil build in the soon future for my senior project at school. I'd have full documentation on what I would build with it and Upload it all onto the forum. Sad to hear they've had to discontinue it due to a patent troll and that it's a buisness so close to home. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to be chosen. I'd be ecstatic to recieve either one.

If Puget is reading this, thank you for giving away your last ones. (Fun Fact: When I read your company's name the first thing I thought of was the puget sound. Turns out your less than an hour away from where I live.)

If anyone at Linus Media Group is, thanks for giving them away also, and reading my comment.

-Julian

Can't be considered for this, living in the EU. Just have to say, good luck to everyone joining in the giveaway, it's amazing that this company made these kits, and it's a shame they got screwed over. Future winners, enjoy building your own mineral oil rig!

It's a shame that a legal issue can have an impact such as this, robbing people of the opportunity to build a rig that anyone would proudly showcase.  These kits are just absolutely beautiful, it's very hard to not appreciate them.  As far as Puget goes, just keep up the good work, perhaps some day down the road this line will be an option again.  

I'd prefer MATX of course, but my next build could always go a different route.  To everyone else, best of luck, I truly hope that these kits go to someone who is very passionate about their setups and will cherish this for years to come.. and who will post pictures of the inevitably sexy results of their build.

Thank you for the opportunity!  It very well may be the last of it's kind for quite some time.

Linus Media Group

I've been wanting to try something similar ever since I first learned that this was possible (Luke first joined).

Presently in the process of building a new pc for my dad over christmas in the be quiet 800 that I ordered from NCIX but if I can get my hands on one of these cases I will put it in meneral oil. Think I would skip the castle (maybe a shark or a flying dragon), would add a line filter to make sure theres no gunk and would use the Siphon principle to avoid spilling and making a mess. Preference for ATX but the matx will do just fine.

Keep up the good work 

I was already planning a large upgrade and this would be perfect considering I've been wanting to do this since Luke's was showcased.

That is such a shame that they have to stop making these cases. I heard about their cases and luke's system a couple years ago and actually made my own oil cooled computer just to try out. All it had in it was an old system out of a dell computer just to see if i could make it work. If i did win the matx would be prefered. If i got my simple home server would definatly go in it (i found a video of a guy who liquid proofed his hdds so that they could stay under the oil)

I have always wanted one since the first ones showed themselves on the internet, but they always seemed to be shoddy halfassed solutions. people mentioned the sealant letting go and leaking and so on.

i would absolutely love to win this and get it set up. its a shame that someone finally started producing purpose built tanks for PCs only to get trolled.

they should actually fight it, just do the paperwork themselves instead of paying a lawyer.

I am wanting to enter, just saw that you were giving one of these kits away, and I just had to have one. Ever since I saw the video showcasing Luke's mineral oil cooked PC I have always wanted to try it, and when you guys first showcased the puget case, I checked online for availability and seen they discontinued it. :(

If you send me a case, I will send you a receipt for the mineral oil purchase, and a thorough build log with quality components, to share with you guys. By the way, I just made my account on your forum, but I've followed you guys on YouTube for quite some time now. Good luck with the giveaway and hopefully I can get my hands on one!

I'm truely excited about this giveaway. I've been wanting to do a submerged build for some time. If I were to win, I'd build my HTPC fish tank, likely with the G3258 and 760.

I'd prefer the matx one, but either would suffice :)