Which GTX 970?

BigChimp97

I'm thinking about getting a GTX 970, to finally replace my old 560ti, but not quite sure which model to get. I will have enough money for all of them, but not sure which one will - 1) last the longest, 2) has the best overall build quality, 3) will be the quietest, 4) Be the coolest and finally which one is the most powerful.

I am also thinking of replacing my CPU cooling, so any money that is saved will go towards that! (any recommendations are welcome)

Thanks guys!!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I have seen a comparrisson of 11 970s and there was a coil whine and fan noise comparrisson video and the only two cards that didn't make too much noise were the msi 4g gaming (the red/black one ) and the zotac omega. the zotac extreme was very good too but i think it's too ugly an dexpensive.
the gigabyte g1 was too loud and had coilwhine. I would love to buy the g1 because i was very pleased with the 770 windforce but it's just too loud.

wow... pretty empty here...

MSI Gaming G4 is the best in terms of overclockability, noise and temps. - Also among the least coilwhine

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I was looking at getting the G1 Gaming, but heard that it has alot of coil whine.... and also that some people have had them crash after about a month, and fans shut down all together

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

EVGA nice looking card stays fairly cool.But you can get better one

C++,Assembly,Reverse Engineering,Penetration testing,Malware analysis

Do you have a question?Are you interested in programming?Do you like solving complex problems?Hit me up with a pm.

I have seen a comparrisson of 11 970s and there was a coil whine and fan noise comparrisson video and the only two cards that didn't make too much noise were the msi 4g gaming (the red/black one ) and the zotac omega. the zotac extreme was very good too but i think it's too ugly an dexpensive.

the gigabyte g1 was too loud and had coilwhine. I would love to buy the g1 because i was very pleased with the 770 windforce but it's just too loud.

Just looked at the video you mentioned and wow.... that G1 is ridiculously loud

The one thing that is drawing me to the G1 is the fact that on nearly all the benchmarks that ive seen its beats all the other cards by a good 5 fps

i have a g1 no coil whine and its not loud....unless you turn the fans up then it sounds like a jet.  but you dont need to 

as far as clocks go mine is awfull like not game stable @ +80 on the core

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'd go with the MSI Gaming, ASUS Strix or either of the Zotac AMP! cards. The Gigabyte G1 is mainly recommended because it overclocks like a beast, but it's also louder than other choices.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Be hipster and get a Galax EXOC Black Edition or Colorful iGame

The MSI would be my choice because silence.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Is there a big performance difference between the G1 and the MSI?

Might of just been persuaded to get the MSI... is there anything else about the G1 that makes it a much better buy over the MSI?

Zotac AMP! Extreme 4GB is working great for me. Already overclocked and while the Firestorm program isn't the best, the card is really well built with a PCB backplate etc. Does not go over 65 degrees Celsius under full load playing COD AW. 

Is there a big performance difference between the G1 and the MSI?

The G1 has the I/O of a stock 980. 3 Display port. 2 DVI. 1 HDMI.

I went with the G1 and I have been very pleased. It's quiet for what I mainly use it (TF2). It's not loud at all. Zero coil whine for me too.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

The one thing that is drawing me to the G1 is the fact that on nearly all the benchmarks that ive seen its beats all the other cards by a good 5 fps

Thats just because of the higher clockspeeds. but you can get that from every singel 970 on the market guaranteed. the before mentioned colorful igame 970 goes to around 1440 mhz out of the box without overclocking it. that thing has to murder every single comparrisson :D

Thats just because of the higher clockspeeds. but you can get that from every singel 970 on the market guaranteed. the before mentioned colorful igame 970 goes to around 1440 mhz out of the box without overclocking it. that thing has to murder every single comparrisson :D

i suppose that i wouldnt ever really have it maxed out at 100% that often, maybe the fans wont spin up as much as in the bechmark? The MSI is also 8 degrees hotter.... its a case of taking the plunge and getting a louder card, that cools alot better or getting one tjats quieter.. so hard :(

bump 

Check out those two videos at the bottom of the page. Fan noise and coil whine comparison of the cards. I really love comparisons like this because some dB number tell you nothing:

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-test-roundup-vergleich/4/

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Thinking of getting the MSI now.... not sure if i would be missing out on much with the g1?

Thinking of getting the MSI now.... not sure if i would be missing out on much with the g1?

I am thinking of getting the msi too. it is the obvious choice but me and 2 other friends love our windforce cooler too. they would get it again but i think i will try the msi one i I have any money left after christmas and if i can sell my 770. 

zotac omega or msi. nothing else is relevant for me at this moment.