IPS vs TN 144hz

BeardHat

Hey there people who know more than me about Monitors...

I am looking into buying a monitor and I am kind of stuck...

I have been gaming on a 5 year old 1680*1050 Samsung monitor that is getting a bit old So I want to buy a monitor to replace the old one as my primary monitor 

However I am stuck on whether to buy a IPS monitor with 6ms response time or a TN gaming 144hz monitor

The monitors I have narrowed it down to are

An Asus IPS 6ms 60hz

A BenQ TN 1ms 144hz

I am not going to be doing any competitive fps. I play league of Legends and skyrim (That is moded to a similar degree to Logan's skrim)  and older games like Amnesia and Half life.

I know that the IPS panel will look leaps and bounds better in colour accuracy and colour depth but I am realy afraid that am going to notice that 6ms response time...

but then again it is 144hz ..... playing Bio-shock infinite in 120hz is probably awesome

anyone that can help me out ???  

IPS

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-u2414h

This one is IPS and faster than the Asus.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

IPS

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

It has 8ms of response time which is more than the samsung and it is 60hz instead of the asus witch is 85hz ... how is that faster ?

First of all Asus is 60Hz idk where you got the 85 from. Secondly the 8ms is actual lag not some asus calculated one AND it has immeasurably low input lag.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ips all the way, I went from a 120hz benq gaming monitor to a 1440p ips monitor and it's so much better. Games dont look washed out or dull now.

Basically it's looks against feel, ips looks better and 120hz+ feels better. I prefered the looks and viewing angles etc Better colours just pop and bring you into the game imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Asus PB238Q and I could not be happier.

1080 P has never looked better. I have never had a IPS monitor (I have also never owned a 1080p monitor) so when I fired it up and played Garden of words I wanted to cry.. the colours are so crisp and the viewing angles are amazing! I also tired some insurgency and I did not notice any input lag or crappy response times. I like it a lot.

Now I just have to save up a bit so I can finally buy a Desktop PC. Because my laptop gives me 25 fps whilst playing skyrim at medium settings ;-;

P.S. thank you everyone for the feedback btw ... always appreciated