Strange Scan Lines on VG248QE @ 144hz

Ingestre

Hi everyone,

First of all, specs:

5820k cpu X99 Deluxe HX 750i PS Asus Reference GTX 980 Win 8.1 Asus VG248QE

So today, I started up a game of Advanced Warfare from Steam and the start screen had these weird graphical glitches, sort of like single pixel width scan lines flickering all over the screen. I quit the game and noticed that it was now happening everywhere in Windows, I though it must be some strange graphic driver issue so I restarted but had the same problem. Next I decided to experiment a bit so I lowered the refresh rate from 144 to 120. The problem stopped completely within windows, but whenever I open a 3D game, the problem returns. I contacted Asus Customer support who were pretty useless tbh, They said they had no idea and that it was probably the card. I found some info online that mentioned the DVI cable potentially being an issue so i swapped it out for a HDMI, unfortunately, This only allowed me to have a 60hz refresh rate. After that I tried reseating the GPU and cleaning the contacts, still the same problem. I just ran some MSI Kombuster 3 tests and everything seems fine (at 120hz) no glitches or artifacts at all. I also tried rolling back the driver and updating to the latest version again, but still nothing. The one thing I did differently tonight was to update Steam to the Beta version (wanted to try out the new broadcast feature). Apart from that nothing out of the ordinary. I have been Overclocking a little using Asus GPU Tweak. nothing serious though.

Here's a link to a video of the artefacts.

http://youtu.be/IzuCnw49ilo [1]

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Don't know if it means anything, but I recorded some footage using ShadowPlay at 144hz and when I played it back at 120hz, there was no sign of any artefacts.

Testing

• DVI 1, 144 hz = Artefacts in 3D Games & Windows
  • DVI 1, 120hz = Fine in Windows, Artefacts in Game (now realised that this was because COD had a Graphics setting to update the refresh rate to 144
  • HDMI, 60hz = Fine (No Artefacts)
  • DVI 1, 60hz = Fine
  • DVI 1, 100hz = Fine
  • DVI 1, 120hz Second Test = I realised that COD had a refresh rate setting that set the refresh rate to 144, Lowered it to 120 and it's fine.

Are you able to use a DisplayPort cable? That might fix the issue, but this sounds like an issue with the card TBH.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Change the DVI cable or lower the frequency of the DVI in your GPU settings if available. 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Are you able to use a DisplayPort cable? That might fix the issue, but this sounds like an issue with the card TBH.

I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. Today, it turned it on again and now everything seems fine. I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes.

I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. Today, it turned it on again and now everything seems fine. I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes.

That is really unusual.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That is really unusual.

Tell me about it. It happened after I installed a beta of Steam. I really doubt it was that though.

The exact same thing just started happening to me after adjusting GPU fan curve in Asus GPU Tweak of all things.  I seem to have fixed the problem as it has now stopped but now GPU Tweak won't let me change the refresh rate above 60hz, but in both NVIDIA Control Panel and Microsoft Control panel it shows 144hz.  What I did was set everything in GPU Tweak to Default and then set the refresh rate to 144hz in NVIDIA and MS Control panels. That worked for me.

4790k, Asus Strix 970 SLI, Asus Maximus Gene VII, Win 8.1, VG248QE