Better steam drive, SSHD, SSD or high end HDD?

Ninja_Commander

I have been meaning to get a new drive for my steam games. So now I have to ask you all which would be better for steam an SSD, SSHD or a high end HDD like WD black?

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

I ahve a 500 gb mx100 for my most played games then a 1 tb wd black from ones i play less often. 

Really depends on your budget. What is yours?

Just get a high capacity Seagate Barracuda, speed is not worth paying that much more for, especially when it only holds games.

sold

Don't really have a budget, but something under $500 just to set a limit. I forgot to tell that my current steam drive is an 8 year old 500 gb seagate HDD that used to be my OS main drive for all that time till I got an samsung 840 PRO during the summer for my OS. Im just looking for a drive that can play my games with no real issues and what not. Plus can last for all the saving installing and uninstalling of games.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

You should add a poll.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Don't really have a budget, but something under $500 just to set a limit. I forgot to tell that my current steam drive is an 8 year old 500 gb seagate HDD that used to be my OS main drive for all that time till I got an samsung 840 PRO during the summer for my OS. Im just looking for a drive that can play my games with no real issues and what not. Plus can last for all the saving installing and uninstalling of games.

Under 500? Get a 512GB SSD and then a 2TB WD black or Barracuda.. Depending on the games you play, you wont regret it.

I got a new 240Gb Evo so I could use my old Sandisk Extreme for games - and I will never go back. I still use a WD black for the games that don't matter, but I love my SSD for long load times games like battlefield 4. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If you're on a tight budget, I think going for an SSHD would do fine. or else get 1 SSD and 2 HDDs. You could get really cheap SSD nowadays.

I recently upgraded from a WD 1TB Black Drive to a Seagate 2TB SSHD, partially because the WD Black drive was developing SMART errors and I also wanted better load times and more space. I definitely noticed a difference in map load times in BF4 with an SSHD over just a regular Hard Drive although the biggest problem with the SSHD drives from Seagate is that they only have 8GB of SSD Storage to cache files, considering the size of games these days this basically results in slow HDD like load times in BF4 and other games the moment the map changes. What I've done for PC's I've built for friends is to setup Intel SRT SSD Caching. Generally I pair a WD 1TB Blue drive with whatever is the cheapest and best performing 60GB SSD, their load times are SSD fast across all games and they don't have to worry about managing games around on limited SSD size. Not to mention that this sort of acceleration with this capacity is much cheaper than buying a 512GB or 1TB SSD.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600