Nintendo win developer of the year award, announces Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

XTankSlayerX

nintendo-headquarters.jpg

Nintendo beat out the competition to secure themselves Developer of the Year at The Game Awards 2014 tonight.

The company’s talented teams were up against Blizzard Entertainment, Monolith Productions, Telltale Games and Ubisoft Montreal in the category, although won for their efforts throughout the year.

The award was richly deserved, after releasing the likes of Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Congratulations, Nintendo!

intendo announced this evening during The Game Awards 2014 that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. will be released in March.

The game will contain both local and online multiplayer modes and arrives on 3DS March 13

Source: http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2014/12/06/nintendo-win-developer-year-game-awards-2014/

My issue with Nintendo has always been the lack of new IP and how heavily Nintendo is constantly drowned with nostalgia. Sure, they made the same games for the millionth time on the millionth generation of consoles.

56856291.jpg

This is my opinion but i dont see why (other than Nintendo being a big part of people's childhoods) people like Nintendo so much. They simply remake games and update hardware every now and then.

None the less people enjoy what games they make so they deserve the award.

But Ubisoft is a much better developer. /s

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

But Ubisoft is a much better developer. /s

LOL

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

All nintendo does is re-release their old games. Hardly developer of the year award worthy.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

All nintendo does is re-release their old games. Hardly developer of the year award worthy.

Well... Look at there competition for this year...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

No new IPs? Really people? They JUST released Captain Toad. They also announced Splatoon at E3 and they have Codename S.T.E.A.M coming out early next year. They are also publishing Itagaki's Devil's Third game. So three new IPs from internal studios and one 2nd party new IP all going to be released within a year.

Nintendo practically invented 3D video gaming.

They choose an art style that shows off their hardware well.

Yes, they recycle Mario Party, but their's no game series in the world that holds a candle to the Legend of Zelda for fan loyalty, and that's because Nintendo kills it every single time (windwaker being a bit childish aside).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nintendo practically invented 3D video gaming.

How'd that go for them? I know no one who uses the 3D on the 3DS.

they do have a unique style... Which i also don't like. I want something with blood and gore. It suits what they make though

Look, I like games like Mario Kart and Smash, but developer of the year? Really? 

Nintendo doesn't know how to leave their comfort zone. They are the epitome of cashing in on safe bets. Thats not a bad thing, but theres a strong lack of any sort of innovation coming out of their cam, which is pretty amazing given their console competition. 

They make fun games, but really? They remake games that I played 2 decades ago. Nintendo doesn't try to grow up or expand with its fanbases or even attempt to make compelling offerings for everyone. But the "NINTENDO CAN DO NO WRONG" sentiment is sadly strong on the internet, one of those companies that is lazy and stagnated. We give any other company a healthy dose of shit for doing what Nintendo does. FFS, we keep going "DAE COD IS SHITE CAUSE ITS SAME SHITE?!" every single year, yet Nintendo gets a pass? Just cause Mario was a part of your childhood? 

Give me a break. 

Look, I like games like Mario Kart and Smash, but developer of the year? Really?

Nintendo doesn't know how to leave their comfort zone. They are the epitome of cashing in on safe bets. Thats not a bad thing, but theres a strong lack of any sort of innovation coming out of their cam, which is pretty amazing given their console competition.

They make fun games, but really? They remake games that I played 2 decades ago. Nintendo doesn't try to grow up or expand with its fanbases or even attempt to make compelling offerings for everyone. But the "NINTENDO CAN DO NO WRONG" sentiment is sadly strong on the internet, one of those companies that is lazy and stagnated. We give any other company a healthy dose of shit for doing what Nintendo does. FFS, we keep going "DAE COD IS SHITE CAUSE ITS SAME SHITE?!" every single year, yet Nintendo gets a pass? Just cause Mario was a part of your childhood?

Give me a break.

It's mainly Zelda that keeps me a Nintendo fan, and I'm sorry but the story is different every time, the style is different, and the mechanics have changed since the Wii came out. Yes, the same characters and overall story arc, but damn if Nintendo hasn't truly remastered the title with every iteration.

The WiiU game has me so pumped.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No you're thinking John Carmack.

Who beat them to it? It wasn't Sega, Atari, or Activision.

How'd that go for them? I know no one who uses the 3D on the 3DS.

they do have a unique style... Which i also don't like. I want something with blood and gore. It suits what they make though

Facepalm... Go back to the Nintendo 64. First 3D gaming console with any real market share.

It was one reason Ocarina of Time was cutting edge at that point in gaming history.

Facepalm... Go back to the Nintendo 64. First 3D gaming console with any real market share.

It was one reason Ocarina of Time was cutting edge at that point in gaming history.

Miss understood you. But yeah, i guess they did do that. They need to do more things. Push things that matter.

Give me a break.

Yo my friend wants to post a comeback to that soon

Please be nice! :D

Newbie BTW don't discourage hind

@mr~j

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Lack of innovation? Lazy? I think they're one of the most innovative gaming companies around. When @patrickjp93 mentioned them creating 3d games, I'm assuming he meant 3d-world games such as Super Mario 64. 

Similar context with them innovating motion gameplay.

No, they don't innovate heavily on their pre-existing IP's. I'm very thankful for that.

They don't release many new IP's either. They do have some coming out though.

Nintendo knows very well that they're a company based off of nostalgia. They're very conscious of that, and have addressed it before.

Every time they release a new IP, it doesn't catch hold very well.

But this reward is looking at things from a development standpoint. They're not being docked points for their lack of creativity upon already established universes.

What they do with their very meek hardware impresses me. Their games look absolutely great, and they always do, besides being trumped in every aspect hardware-wise.

They release games that work, which is a huge plus. Since they "work for themselves", so to speak, they're not constantly rushed by a publisher to get a damn game out, and keep themselves to a release date once they announce it. There's no false-promises either. With the tournament system for SSB4, everyone knows that they have it functional and working, but not up to their own standards, and that's why it isn't out yet.

Nintendo has patience, something that seemingly every publisher in the world is throwing aside nowadays.

Also, they don't completely rehash their stuff. With every Mario Kart comes new maps and new power things, with every Mario Party new minigames. What about Super Mario Galaxy?

And then there's motion-based gameplay, with the Wii, the pad you put on the ground, releasing the 3DS in the first place was a step away form the norm.

You can't tell me they're afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone just because they keep the same characters around. They're playing on our nostalgia, sure, but they bring new things to the table plenty.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Huh. Well, nothing's going to surprise me more than TotalBiscuit beating out PewDiePie in a fan-decided award. (which I think is pretty damn awesome)

None the less people enjoy what games they make so they deserve the award.

Agreed.  I also wish Nintendo would manage their titles and company differently, but they simply make good games even if they're refreshes of old ideas.

-Jarro

You know why people love playing "the same mario game" a billion time? Because its not the same game.

Doesn't mean that its Mario, that it is the same game. Also, Nintendo doesn't release a new same game every year continuously.

Take Super Mario 3D world, and slap a Giraffe over Mario, there new IP, happy?

And Nintendo has new IPs.

Just recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnfzfBDedE

Now if you are stuck with your eyes closed, than that is not my problem.

I wouldn't mind if older IPs that seem to be ditched got back into the hands of Nintendo. Rareware is souless, if Ninty bought the rights to Conker and Banjo Kazooie along with hiring the ex Rare guys then I'd be all aboard the hype train. Would also love to see Namco do something with Klonoa again and that toony art style makes more sense for Nintendo than it does the other consoles.

You know why people love playing "the same mario game" a billion time? Because its not the same game.

Doesn't mean that its Mario, that it is the same game. Also, Nintendo doesn't release a new same game every year continuously.

Take Super Mario 3D world, and slap a Giraffe over Mario, there new IP, happy?

And Nintendo has new IPs.

Just recently:

Now if you are stuck with your eyes closed, than that is not my problem.

That second game..that's some sort of funky game I don't even know where to begin with! (in a good way :D) Much more interesting than the snooze fest of generic first person titles.

I still haven't bought my Wii U and I really want to play super smash.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110