Will a 144hz monitor fix tearing?

pancoon

Slightly stupid question, sorry. I currebtly have a 60hz 1080p screen, and there is a lot of tearing. For.example, CSGO runs around 250 FPS on max settings, and the tearing is so bad. Limiting my frame rate to 60fps doesn't fix it. I wanted a new monitor. Do I need to purchase a $600 G-Sync enable monitor, or will a 144hz one fix tearing? Also, are there sny 1440p 144hz monitors?

Or you could just enable Vsync,

For 1080p 144Hz - VG248QE

For 1440p 144Hz - ROG Swift

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Slightly stupid question, sorry. I currebtly have a 60hz 1080p screen, and there is a lot of tearing. For.example, CSGO runs around 250 FPS on max settings, and the tearing is so bad. Limiting my frame rate to 60fps doesn't fix it. I wanted a new monitor. Do I need to purchase a $600 G-Sync enable monitor, or will a 144hz one fix tearing? Also, are there sny 1440p 144hz monitors?

1440p 144hz http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS , however what are your specs and what games do you play?

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Or you could just enable Vsync

I am trying not to get cancer.

I'll go look at those monitors, thank.

1440p 144hz http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS , however what are your specs and what games do you play?

Most source games (CSGO Gmod Insurgency and so on), BF3 and BF4, Shadow of Mordor, GTA IV, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3 and 4.

Edit: That monitor is a little expensive. Like my original question was, will 144hz fix any of yhe tearing instead of paying $200 more for a G-Sync monitor.

I am trying not to get cancer.

Wow, over exaggeration of the month

I don't see why Vsync gets so much hate -,-, I have 0 input lag with it on

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Really? The input lag is so bad for me.

The input lag is pretty bad for me, it also makes games like CS really hard since you need to rely on precise aiming and reflexes. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

No one really answered if 144hz lowers screen tearing:(.

No it wont, unless you are running well under 144fps because a low frame rate on a high frequency monitor will make it display one full frame followed by a torn one making it less obvious but then you have a low frame rate so... running 250fps on a 144Hz monitor will mean you have a couple tears in almost every frame, at least one tear in the others.

No it wont, unless you are running well under 144fps because a low frame rate on a high frequency monitor will make it display one full frame followed by a torn one making it less obvious but then you have a low frame rate so... running 250fps on a 144Hz monitor will mean you have a couple tears in almost every frame, at least one tear in the others.

So, below 144hz, you will have a tearing for less because it refreshes more often? Or did I get it wrong?

So, below 144hz, you will have a tearing for less because it refreshes more often? Or did I get it wrong?

It will still tear, you will always get tearing unless you use one of the sync technologies but lets say you are running 60fps on a 144Hz monitor, at that rate you are guaranteed one complete/untorn frame being displayed followed by a torn one (sometimes even two untorn) so on and so forth, it means you are getting repeated data showing on the screen but because you are getting full frames between the torn ones the tearing is less obvious but it is still there.

Tearing gets worse, if the framerate is much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor.

If the gpu puts out 3-4 Frames while the monitor does one scan, you will get around 3-4 "tears". So in your example a monitor with 144hz should make things alot better

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901