AMD GPUs can be massively bottlenecked by low end CPUs[COD: AW] [Digital Foundry]

Sharkyx1

RpS8qfG.png

Digital Foundry put out a video a month ago looking to verify results from Game GPU, showing huge CPU bottlenecks on AMD cards vs equivalent or even weaker Nvidia GPUs. 

The results here speak for themselves, with an R9 280 not only falling behind a GTX 760 but also devastatingly falling behind the GTX 750ti as well by a large margin. This really puts a dent in the whole idea of AMD for value based systems, when AMD cards need higher end CPUs to really get the performance they advertise

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

We already knew this. That's one of the big reasons Mantle was created -- to alleviate CPU bottlenecks.

This also seems very thrown together. With more CPUs and different graphics cards and games you could get a better idea if this is a result of the AMD software/hardware stacks, or just an isolated case.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

lol I have i3 and I want to buy r9 270 :o

but I saw earlier that my cpu/r9 270 combo works fine

I thought this was common knowledge. Some simulation is handed off to NVidia cards, lessening the load on the CPU yet this doesn't happen on AMD cards.

everyone knows that drivers are shit 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

We already knew this. That's one of the big reasons Mantle was created -- to alleviate CPU bottlenecks.

It's common knowledge, but I didn't realize it was that much. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Regardless of how you put the information the Title is misleading...

They tested ONE game, not a representation of ALL games, but your title presumes people to think otherwise being non-specific.

You should add  'COD:AW' to the title or mix it up with 'COD:AW has proven itself worse on AMD than Intel (DF)' otherwise more people like me will bring it up anyway.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Regardless of how you put the information the Title is misleading...

They tested ONE game, not a representation of ALL games, but your title presumes people to think otherwise being non-specific.

You should add  'COD:AW' to the title otherwise more people like me will bring it up anyway.

We good now?

I posted this, because i found it surprising, yes everyone knows that AMD cards bottleneck faster, but no one said anything to this effect, which is basically half the framerates they should be getting

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Looks like poor game coding or perhaps amd drivers, likely both

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Huh. Neat to know.

I think this is more of a general rule than anything. Don't pair weak cpus with strong gpus.

I almost paired a 970 with a G3258 when selecting my build parts.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

We good now?

no one said anything to this effect, which is basically half the framerates they should be getting

Thanks man, That's all I had to say on that subject.

and I agree that it should be posted, the more people know, the better.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I don't really buy this. I don't even consider i3 to be a low end cpu, probably a mid tier one. This just shows that AMD needs to get their sht together in the driver department, because as far as i remember nvidia launched a driver few months ago to reduce the cpu overhead and stuff like that.

So to summ it up, it's not the CPU problem, it's the AMD drivers.

pretty sure this is an isolate case

since XP u always have that "one" game that does horrible on a GPU from one vendor

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't really buy this. I don't even consider i3 to be a low end cpu, probably a mid tier one. This just shows that AMD needs to get their sht together in the driver department, because as far as i remember nvidia launched a driver few months ago to reduce the cpu overhead and stuff like that.

So to summ it up, it's not the CPU problem, it's the AMD drivers.

We've also recently got news of a new AMD driver that helps performance in some cases. Let's just see...

Though this is one isolated scenario, would like to see the differences in other games. Perhaps its not shown in other games due to this being the only case? Would like to find out.

lol I have i3 and I want to buy r9 270 :o

but I saw earlier that my cpu/r9 270 combo works fine

Why did you buy an i3?  The AMD 6300 is the same price, with MUCH better performance???

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I would like to see the GPU usage of that 280.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Why did you buy an i3?  The AMD 6300 is the same price, with MUCH better performance???

Source of this "MUCH better performance" please. 

In the vast majority of games, an i3 will beat an FX 6300. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

yeah, I noticed with my 8350...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

This means CoD: AW has problems (but I don't recall them having PhysX, although particle physics did exist).

Because it runs a lot worse than BF4 on a Pentium.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

hmm odd as my i3 + 7870xt(basically a 280) seems to go very well in most games, when i throw my i5 into the mix ill see how much of difference i get

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Can't watch the video at the moment. Did they match up Intel dual and quad core chips with AMD 6 and 8 cores?

Can't watch the video at the moment. Did they match up Intel dual and quad core chips with AMD 6 and 8 cores?

They run a 760 on an i7 and an i3 as well as a R9 280 on both

The 760 has minimal performance drop, the 280 is halved whenever anything dramatic is on screen

I wish Digital Foundry would do this same test with other games, as this result it about a month old, and so far, COD AW is the only game I have seen this kind of bottleneck on using a Haswell i3.

Yeah, it would be nice if they did more testing, but their bread and butter is console performance testing and comparison, PC videos are less often, though recently theyve been doing PC related stuff more often.

I highly suspect that this is a Driver issue, not a design flaw in their GPU's. If it was a design flaw, we'd see the issue more frequently with other games.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)