"Why DSLR" convincing?

1) bracketing exists for a reason, and 2) yes actually, I can.

1) If you use them you can directly use Av, unless you like inefficiency.

2) Interesting

and no, they still aren't. They're still pretty shitty

"For the money, the 18-55 IS performs very well optically."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

So you are be able to measure the lv of a scene with your bare eye? I doubt that.

Lol wut? What did we do before digital? Oh yeah, light meters and nifty rules like the 'Sunny 16 rule'. In bright, sunny conditions shoot f/16 and the shutter speed should match ISO.

Once you do it enough, it's pretty easy to estimate your aperture, shutter speed and ISO for any given condition...

Lol wut? What did we do before digital?...

Nostalgia isn't a goal I want to achieve while taking photos.

Also these rules are definitive worse than the build in light meter with a scene based EV correction.

Nostalgia isn't a goal I want to achieve while taking photos.

Also these rules are definitive worse than the build in light meter with a scene based EV correction.

This isn't nostalgia, this is basic camera operation.

This isn't nostalgia, this is basic camera operation.

Going with some old rules is bad camera operation.

Not to mention that these rules was used for photographic film and not for CCD and CMOS.

Which rule do you use indoors in a room with 8w led light?

One issue is that I take a long time when I change the settings and modes.

that might be because you have to go trough menus to change the settings. On a dslr you can change settings just by tapping a button or rotating the dial.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Going with some old rules is bad camera operation.

Not to mention that these rules was used for photographic film and not for CCD and CMOS.

Which rule do you use indoors in a room with 8w led light?

FFS, they're guidelines, not hard and fast 'rules.' Sorry, I should have said the 'Suggested*** Sunny 16.' It's a widely known and commonly used setting as a starting point for outdoor photography. If your subject is in the shadows, open up your aperture or slow down your shutter speed. The 'rule' takes into consideration some level or ability of critical thinking by the photographer. Discounting the relevance of being able to shoot on film is to discount the relevance of photography altogether. Just because you have meters, indicators and extras, doesn't mean you can forget the fundamentals of photography. Or, I guess you can, but where is the artistic merit when you're just doing what a meter tells you? And as far as your example, you're being pedantic. There is no 'rule' or guideline for that, because it's not a common shooting situation. Whereas, bright, sunny outdoor conditions are almost always going to be found by many photographers.

Just because you have meters, indicators and extras, doesn't mean you can forget the fundamentals of photography.

Never said, that actually I said

light meter with a scene based EV correction

In my opinion its the best,most efficient and most reliable way to base your corrections on a metric instead of a simple rule.

There is no 'rule' or guideline for that, because it's not a common shooting situation.

You see, metrics are working almost always rules are highly limited.

But I think this discussion isn't subject of this thread.

woa this topic grew fast while I was gone...

BTW, the camera deal's gone to bidding on ebay, gonna drop that specific one

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

woa this topic grew fast while I was gone...

BTW, the camera deal's gone to bidding on ebay, gonna drop that specific one

Well what about a D3300? It's great for a entry level DSLR camera. 

Although this breaks your 500 dollar limit but it includes 2 lens tho

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3300-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100107159.html

Well what about a D3300? It's great for a entry level DSLR camera. 

Although this breaks your 500 dollar limit but it includes 2 lens tho

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3300-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100107159.html

I have a list (ebay and used, but meh I guess) with 1 18-55mm and one 25-250mm and a 50mm 1.8 with a wide angle/macro lens + Battery grip for $650 :D

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I have a list (ebay and used, but meh I guess) with 1 18-55mm and one 25-250mm and a 50mm 1.8 with a wide angle/macro lens + Battery grip for $650 :D

But these cams are new. 

But these cams are new. 

I dunno, that deal looks really sick :)

I have to think about it

WHY CANON?

what can I say, Im a fanboy.

Also all the people we know have Nikon things, I want to be the one with canon :)

WHY CANON?

Because fuck you and your Nikon.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Also all the people we know have Nikon things, I want to be the one with canon :)

Because Nikon is clearer better :P

All joking aside, Nikon usually has the edge in photography while Canon has the edge in videography. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because Nikon is clearer better :P

All joking aside, Nikon usually has the edge in photography while Canon has the edge in videography. 

one reason why I want Canon as well. 

I want to start youtube...sorta...

There is more Canon users then Nikon users, tho there are more people chaning from Canon to using Nikon :\

hmm not too bad, the 50 f1.8 is a decent lens

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Im settling on this till my dad and I talk about it on the weekend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-0-5-6-IS-II-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Must-See-7138-/141494533088?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20f1bb3be0

55-250mm 4.0-5.6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-f1-8-II-50-mm-F-1-8-II-Lens-/400478564642?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5d3e61f122

50mm 1.8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Vertical-Battery-Grip-Holder-BG-1F-for-Canon-EOS-600D-550D-Rebel-T3i-T2i-HOT-/121380952581?pt=US_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item1c42de5a05

Grip thinngy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LP-E8-Replacement-Battery-for-Canon-Rebel-T2-T3i-T2i-Kiss-X5-X4-EOS-550D-600D-/130894601841?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item1e79ed1e71

Batteries

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-600D-18-0MP-SLR-Camera-w-EF-S-18-55mm-IS-II-Lens-Kit-/171529254021?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27eff0b485

Camera with 18-55mm kit lens

And a friend of mine said I HAVE to get one of these to protect the Lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58MM-Ultra-Violet-Protection-Filter-for-Canon-Rebel-T5i-T4i-T3i-SL1-18-55mm-Lens-/281495563699?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item418a716db3

Honestly, I would buy from BH Photo. refurbished long before I buy off ebay. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827670-REF/Canon_5169B018AA_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html - $499 Camera + Kit Lens.

50MM lens - this will be zoom on a crop sensor. I would HIGHLY reccomend getting 35mm 1.8, or at least seeing if you can rent a few lenses before dropping money on them. 

55-250 etc - I personally bought the cheap nikon version of this... and meh. I hardly ever use it, and wish i wouldnt have spent the money, and bought a faster (f2.8) sigma instead. Its too dark in anything but broad daylight, and the quality isnt the best.

Filter - You don't need one. My brother and I have had our lenses for several years and never use filters. If you drop a lens....a scratched piece of glass is going to be the least of your concerns. 

I bought my 5200 Kit, + 55-200. I wish I had not bought the kit, and bought body only (Maybe even a D7200) + 35mm. And then a better zoom later (like a sigma - I am not rich enough for good nikkor glass....) Hindsight 20-20. I never use the zoom or kit lens, And by never, I mean, I have $250-300 in lens that I have taken 10 pictures with. Versus thousands with the 35mm. 

But this is just me. I am a social shooter - I love streets and people, carry my camera everywhere. I also have never used anything but full manual. So, it's all up to you and what you want to do. 

Have fun :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Honestly, I would buy from BH Photo. refurbished long before I buy off ebay. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827670-REF/Canon_5169B018AA_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html - $499 Camera + Kit Lens.

50MM lens - this will be zoom on a crop sensor. I would HIGHLY reccomend getting 35mm 1.8, or at least seeing if you can rent a few lenses before dropping money on them. 

55-250 etc - I personally bought the cheap nikon version of this... and meh. I hardly ever use it, and wish i wouldnt have spent the money, and bought a faster (f2.8) sigma instead. Its too dark in anything but broad daylight, and the quality isnt the best.

Filter - You don't need one. My brother and I have had our lenses for several years and never use filters. If you drop a lens....a scratched piece of glass is going to be the least of your concerns. 

I bought my 5200 Kit, + 55-200. I wish I had not bought the kit, and bought body only (Maybe even a D7200) + 35mm. And then a better zoom later (like a sigma - I am not rich enough for good nikkor glass....) Hindsight 20-20. I never use the zoom or kit lens, And by never, I mean, I have $250-300 in lens that I have taken 10 pictures with. Versus thousands with the 35mm. 

But this is just me. I am a social shooter - I love streets and people, carry my camera everywhere. I also have never used anything but full manual. So, it's all up to you and what you want to do. 

Have fun :)

Yeah, 50mm was a bit 'zoomey' on a crop sensor when I was using my school's camera (60D + 50mm f1.8) because I'm used to my 18-85mm on my 50D. Oh, and the 55-250 is good for sports photography if you're not too close (like on the field)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Yeah, 50mm was a bit 'zoomey' on a crop sensor when I was using my school's camera (60D + 50mm f1.8) because I'm used to my 18-85mm on my 50D. Oh, and the 55-250 is good for sports photography if you're not too close (like on the field)

What would the 55 zoom look like?