"Why DSLR" convincing?

@dizmo, I found one, does it look like a good deal?

and then the t3i itself with the kit lens and some B+W filter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-600D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Kit-w-EF-S-IS-/281518844558?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item418bd4aa8e

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Get the 600d Cheapo camera with better lens is better then cheapo lens expensive camera.

The 600d is more then enough, quality is superb.

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

not a fan of sony, again im really loyal to Canon.

Im not familiar with Mirrorless cameras, I thought they were the same as DSLR's?

No, mirrorless cameras don't have a mirror like a DSLR.

I'd really suggest reading up on the different kinds of cameras.

@dizmo, I found one, does it look like a good deal?

and then the t3i itself with the kit lens and some B+W filter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-600D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Kit-w-EF-S-IS-/281518844558?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item418bd4aa8e

Yeah just watch it, and if you can snag it for $300 then it's a great deal.

Honestly man stop looking at getting all these lenses and stuff all at once. Get the kit lens and live with that for a few months at least.

You don't need all of those lenses. Plain and simple.

Then sell it and buy a used L series lens, or something like that if you want to step up.

As I said, a quality say 24mm - 105mm lens is going to be better than getting a bunch of lenses just because it's cheap. If you're looking for better image quality, the lens plays a huge part. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yeah just watch it, and if you can snag it for $300 then it's a great deal.

Honestly man stop looking at getting all these lenses and stuff all at once. Get the kit lens and live with that for a few months at least.

You don't need all of those lenses. Plain and simple.

Then sell it and buy a used L series lens, or something like that if you want to step up.

As I said, a quality say 24mm - 105mm lens is going to be better than getting a bunch of lenses just because it's cheap. If you're looking for better image quality, the lens plays a huge part. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-75-300-mm-F-4-5-6-III-Lens-/181602398416?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a4858b0d0

I'm going to settle on this lens if I get the t3i. How's the price?

I've told you what I think. Good luck.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ok, so I have the Canon G12, a pretty advanced Point-And-Shoot that can take pictures. (not good pictures, but meh)

It excels in close up shots, portraits, and macros, but Suffers severly in anything else. Taking photos outside results in HORRIBLE sharpness (if you zoom in just a bit on the photo it looks like minecraft:P) and video is 720p 30FPS only, pretty low end at this point.

The fact that I get more pleasing images on the iphone 5 annoys me quite a bit (not necessarily BETTER technically, just looks more pleasing)

I have my eyes on the Canon T3i, (or 650D) and the T5 (1200D) and maybe even the SL1 (100D)

But my only roadblock from actually getting one, is my dad..

He still thinks that getting a DSLR is like in the olden days (like 10 years ago) and thinks DSLR's are for SUPER experienced photographers, while really now, DSLR's have come to the point where they have models designed for beginner photographers. He thinks that because the images look bad on the G12, I will not use the DSLR to the full potential (thinks I dont know how to use the features properly :P, but I do.) 

Now I need some good convincing points for why we need a good DSLR rather than use our horrid G12 for the next 10 years :P

Thanks

Canon always tend to be not as sharp as the other competitors, so if you wanted sharper images without too much PS/LR then maybe look into another brand. Some people actually like the slight non sharp look of canon. I don't know IMO.

I've told you what I think. Good luck.

I think he might regretwhat he might be buying, if he bought them :(

Live and learn is sometimes the only way ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I saw a review video thankfully :P

Just buy a t4i or t5i with the IS kit lens (Version II)

You'll later see what you need and what you want.

Just buy a t4i or t5i with the IS kit lens (Version II)

You'll later see what you need and what you want.

Sadly I cannot afford a t4i or t5i but I will get the t3i with 25-70mm IS III and the standard 18-35mm kit lens

I might get a 55mm prime lens if its cheap on eBay but most probably not

I have personally used a dslr since my 14th (I think). If you know how to shoot manual on a point and shoot (and you know what everything does) you definitely can get to the full potential. The first months I shot in Auto, then I forced myself to shoot manual. And after some practicing I never ever shot auto again. YouTube tutorials can help a lot if you don't know how to shoot manual yet.

btw, I can also really recommend the Nikon D7100  

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

I have personally used a dslr since my 14th (I think). If you know how to shoot manual on a point and shoot (and you know what everything does) you definitely can get to the full potential. The first months I shot in Auto, then I forced myself to shoot manual. And after some practicing I never ever shot auto again. YouTube tutorials can help a lot if you don't know how to shoot manual yet.

btw, I can also really recommend the Nikon D7100

One issue is that I take a long time when I change the settings and modes.

You don't really have to change much other than shutter speed and aperture frequently. Everything else you can adjust at your leisure/occasionally. And adjusting shutter speed and aperture becomes very easy once you get used to doing it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why not get a camera like the Panasonic GX7 or sony NEX or Olympus OMD 

They are smaller and lighter, much bigger sensors, great video, cheaper lenses, etc etc

im sure @Bennyboy1993 will back me up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why not get a camera like the Panasonic GX7 or sony NEX or Olympus OMD 

They are smaller and lighter, much bigger sensors, great video, cheaper lenses, etc etc

im sure @Bennyboy1993 will back me up

How is the sensor bigger? the cheaper models are all micro four-thirds sensors with the more expensive ones (the ones priced similarly to lower end SLRs) have APS-C sensors, and the ones priced like high end prosumer SLRs sometimes have FX sensors. Plus, you have a much fewer lenses to choose from, most of which aren't as good as their comparable Nikon/Canon counterparts. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

How is the sensor bigger? the cheaper models are all micro four-thirds sensors with the more expensive ones (the ones priced similarly to lower end SLRs) have APS-C sensors, and the ones priced like high end prosumer SLRs sometimes have FX sensors. Plus, you have a much fewer lenses to choose from, most of which aren't as good as their comparable Nikon/Canon counterparts. 

Bigger than his point and shoot is what I meant (the canon g15), there are a shit ton of lenses since MFT is a universal mount, and there are some amazing lenses too, something like a NEX or A5000 has an APSC sensor though sensor size is not everything 

All DSLR kit lenses are utterly trash too 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, I own a Nikon D5100, D800 and Panasonic GX7 (and currently a Canon EOS M & Fujifilm XM-1) and of them all, the GX7 is my favourite at the moment. The D800 is a beast for using professionally, taking a beating in all weather conditions and working with my Bowens Gemini studio lights. But if all you want is simple image quality, ease of use, and editable RAW files (an absolute must), then the GX7/Sony A7/Fuji  X-series are the way to go. 

If you want, i can post some comparable photos from them this weekend? 

99% of all shots you use Av

So you just select the aperture and focus point.

Sadly I cannot afford a t4i or t5i but I will get the t3i with 25-70mm IS III and the standard 18-35mm kit lens

I might get a 55mm prime lens if its cheap on eBay but most probably not

t3i is still good

I think you mixed the "lens names" a bit.

All DSLR kit lenses are utterly trash too

This is defenitly not true.

99% of all shots you use Av

So you just select the aperture and focus point.

t3i is still good

I think you mixed the "lens names" a bit.

ew no, full manual.....the camera is stupid, I don't want it deciding anything. 

while its not always true, there are usually MUCH better options for only a bit more. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

99% of them, especially the ones on cheap low/mid tier DSLRs

Agreed, I occasionally shoot in Aperture Priority if I need to run and gun, but even then going full manual does not exactly take much time

So you are be able to measure the lv of a scene with your bare eye? I doubt that.

while its not always true, there are usually MUCH better options for only a bit more.

If you want to have a zoom lens they are having basically the best price quality ratio.

So you are be able to measure the lv of a scene with your bare eye? I doubt that.

If you want to have a zoom lens they are having basically the best price quality ratio.

1) bracketing exists for a reason, and 2) yes actually, I can. 

and no, they still aren't. They're still pretty shitty.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler