Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutkeveld

Boominator Buildlog [DIY audio]

Thanks guys!

Actually, yes. Can you spot the resistor in series with the tweeters?

'Normal' tweeters are resistive and need a capacitor to create a first order RC highpass.

Our piezo tweeters are capacitive and they need a resistor to create a first order RC highpass.

You could use a coil on the woofer, but the midrange already has a very controlled rolloff.

Crossover frequency is around 3.5kHz.

There is also a highpass on the input of the amp at 40hz. It's to prevent the woofer from playing frequencies it can't properly reproduce anyway.

Now that you said it I can see the resistor, it was hard to spot though. What is the reason to put sealant onto the tweeters? Aren't they already in a closed enclosure?

Anways, it looks pretty nice.

What amplifier are you going to use for this? Tripath?

Edit: Nevermind about the amp. Found it in the OP :) 

-Amplifier: MaxAmp20. A lot smaller than it seems from the pictures. 2x15W high efficiency class-D with digital volume control.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Yeah, they don't have to be so large (metal film 2W), we spend €3 total on crossover components :P

Tripath TA2020, the 41Hz AMP6 to be exact, was the recommended amplifier for a long time.

The new amplifier, based on a Maxim chip, offers a smaller footprint, better thermals, higher efficiency, digital volume control and slightly increased sound quality.

Do a Video of it done...with some heave drops xD

Man that looks great!
Every time I get back to this thread, I get more and more excited to rebuild my own and do it properly!

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?