disabling my graphics card

ProjectX01

i want to disable my GPU without having to remove it. not the onboard one my Video card. is there like an application or thing i can do to disable it?

question is why? and the answer is yes 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Drivers, or BIOS

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

no needs to remove it, just punch a hole in it !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

There's no good reason to disable a PCI slot graphics card I think. That is unless you're troubleshooting a problem..

Very easy to do and I recommend you play with your bios a bit anyway. Good stuff to learn in there.

I think he means disabling it with software inside the OS, and not with the BIOS. I don't know of a way to do it.

As to the reason why he wants... dunno, lower power consumption during idle? Maybe reduce noise when you don't need a GPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

i leave my pc open when i sleep or when i go out. so i wanna be able to turn off my gpu whenever im not using it.

i leave my pc open when i sleep or when i go out. so i wanna be able to turn off my gpu whenever im not using it.

Uh.... so turn the PC off? If you are not using it, just power it down, nature and power bills will thank you.

Unless you let it powered up for Folding or BOINC. But in that case, shutting down the GPU is stupid, seeing as these programs do make use of the GPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Uh.... so turn the PC off? If you are not using it, just power it down, nature and power bills will thank you.

Unless you let it powered up for Folding or BOINC. But in that case, shutting down the GPU is stupid, seeing as these programs do make use of the GPU.

can't i download at night and when im away. i also use it as a server that i can access when im not at home.

Hey pal, I know you were looking for advice on disabling your graphics card so I'm going to let you in on a secret.

9/11 was an inside job.

RESEARCH NWO! 

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

Something like that really shouldn't be needed.

When a GPU is not being used it automatically goes into a low power idle state.

I would honestly be shocked if the difference over a year between having your GPU be disabled when you are away vs letting it idle was more and a couple bucks, and I feel I'm being very generous with that even.