The Micro Beast - Ncase M1 build!

the pokemon kid

Haha, as soon as the new NAS is up and running it will be the first thing to upload!

So you say ;) HAHAHA!!

• 2 months later...

So is the new nas up and running yet??? I WILL NOT forget about this build!!! I must see it!!

The NAS is, but my main rig borked and I am literally finalising my windows 10 setup on my Samsung 950 pro after my RAID 0 of Crucial M550's failed and then I got a defective 950 pro. Got the new drive a few hours ago and just installed everything for work!

All will be up soon! Need to get the main rig finished first! 

The little rig has been my main machine for work recently! Fighting like a trooper but isn't nearly as powerful as the main machine!

The NAS is, but my main rig borked and I am literally finalising my windows 10 setup on my Samsung 950 pro after my RAID 0 of Crucial M550's failed and then I got a defective 950 pro. Got the new drive a few hours ago and just installed everything for work!

All will be up soon! Need to get the main rig finished first! 

The little rig has been my main machine for work recently! Fighting like a trooper but isn't nearly as powerful as the main machine!

Don't forget about us!! haha I'm just hyped to see this build! I'm thinking about doing what @d33g33 did and go x99 in that little thing

Don't forget about us!! haha I'm just hyped to see this build! I'm thinking about doing what @d33g33 did and go x99 in that little thing

I am not forgetting about you! Just had so much stuff going on! The build is done but I have had a clusterfuck of problems one after another...

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2016 at 4:28 PM, the pokemon kid said:

I am not forgetting about you! Just had so much stuff going on! The build is done but I have had a clusterfuck of problems one after another...

Any update?
I will not let this die!! hahaha

Hope you have gotten the cluster fuck of issues taken care of

• 1 month later...
On 13/04/2016 at 3:25 PM, Smooth Bunz said:

Any update?
I will not let this die!! hahaha

Hope you have gotten the cluster fuck of issues taken care of

Sorry for no updates. The PC log has taken a back seat for a little while.

My little baby Nephew is now out of hospital after having a pretty rocky first 7 weeks in hospital! However I will be updating the build log on Saturday with some final images of the little system!

Final images are here!!

27038836040_0ec0e56d18_b.jpg

NCase M1 Build! by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

With the side panel off!

26707571933_bfb404334d_b.jpg

Side Profile
27038818510_7dee24df20_b.jpg

Fans off!

26706685704_1a38b3f366_b.jpg

Here are the couple of Silverstone thin profile fans

27313803795_2fd256d47c_b.jpg

No fans attached
26707545393_3928551893_b.jpg

Showing off the SSD

27038780680_7cb565de69_b.jpg

Close up of the Noctua CPU cooler I have now got installed!
27038771360_09b88a1b46_b.jpg

A close up of the custom sleeving on the two six pins for the Manly GTX 970!
27313773405_70f94f27b4_b.jpg

Another closeup on the custom sleeving! I need to think Sal from Shakmods for helping me pick out the colours for this!

27216549262_364b39b24b_b.jpg

The custom sleeved PSU cable!
27216541122_32185f4e3c_b.jpg

Another CPU cooler closeup!
27216533322_fa16f64f80_b.jpg

And here is the front of the case! An absolute finger print magnet. You might be able to see a mark on the front, that is from the first day I got it. I put my hand on the case getting it out of the box. I have tried everything to get the mark off but it looks like it is there to stay :(
27038710400_843c717933_b.jpg

Here is without the front bezel on. This is my slot loading Blu-ray drive!
27216523202_434b7b469f_b.jpg

And here is the final image! It happens to be the back end of the NCase M1! Overall a great case! Small and compact! Just what a LAN machine needs to be! It has a few issues here and there but overall have been hugely happy with the crowd funded case! The guys at NCase really hit it out the park with the design!

27216511452_e7d230e409_b.jpg

I hope you liked the build log of this little machine! Drop me a message if you have any questions! Please check out my other builds which can be found in my signature. TPK Awwwaaayyyy

8 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Ohhhh smoothy, the photos are here :D

Oh man!!! <3 It's so pretty!! You did an amazing job on it man! 

37 minutes ago, Smooth Bunz said:

Cheers dude! There is still a small amount of work left to be done, its mainly cable management of the PSU cables. the 24 pin is so messy because of the way the cables have to bend, so I will sort them at some point.

Also I need to add the cable combs onto all the cables just to make them look smart :D

On 5/29/2016 at 8:42 PM, Smooth Bunz said:

Okay, those final images arent the most final it seams. 

I took the heatsinks on the motherboard apart and have sprayed them silver.

I also took the CPU fan apart and have sprayed the fan black and silver. It looks beyond sick! I will post some more images up shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some images of the final mods I have done.

You will notice the Noctua fan is no longer that horrible brown and beige. Its now a much more satisfying black and silver!
27530391935_719563d539_b.jpg

NCase M1 Build by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

In more detail, I have re-wired the 8 pin EPS to tidy up the cables and add the cable combs I had spare. Much better! I also repainted the Mosfet heatsink from Gold to Silver to match in with the rest of the build slightly better!
27458117091_829b86cd8d_b.jpg

I then re-wired the 24 pin to get it more looking like a 24 pin and less like a rats nest. I also added a cable comb I had spare to it!
27253787820_c2e950d7ee_b.jpg

Even the chipset heatsink has been given a bit of love with some silver paint! I was pleasantly suprised when I took the Asus logo off to see this lovely heatsink bellow!
27458033751_0e6dd4f097_b.jpg

Not really an addition from the last photos but I thought I would include it, the two 6 pins for the GPU. They already had cable combs on them but didnt want to leave them out from the cable comb party :D
27431351672_587ccdc6c9_b.jpg

Thanks again for checking out the build log! This is likely going to be one of the final updates, unless I go crazy and do some even more reckless mods!

TPK Awwwaaayyyy

On 8.6.2016 at 1:11 AM, the pokemon kid said:

Not really an addition from the last photos but I thought I would include it, the two 6 pins for the GPU. They already had cable combs on them but didnt want to leave them out from the cable comb party :D

Thanks again for checking out the build log! This is likely going to be one of the final updates, unless I go crazy and do some even more reckless mods!

TPK Awwwaaayyyy

Looks great now :) very clean.

Are you happy with that little Noctua cooler?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

On 8.6.2016 at 1:11 AM, the pokemon kid said:

Hi, the  sleeved/braided power cable looks sick.

Have you made it yourself or have you bought it somewhere?

Would be nice if you can tell me how you got it, because i'm looking for this :)

[please insert cool build here]

On 6/15/2016 at 3:37 PM, MrSuperb said:

Looks great now :) very clean.

Are you happy with that little Noctua cooler?

Thanks! I am very happy with the Noctua cooler! Keeps it lovely and cool while also being super quiet! I just couldn't take how crammed the little case was with the H100i.

On 6/16/2016 at 6:19 PM, Tomatenparty said:

Hi, the  sleeved/braided power cable looks sick.

Have you made it yourself or have you bought it somewhere?

Would be nice if you can tell me how you got it, because i'm looking for this :)

Thanks you! I sleeved them myself with some technical help from Sali of Shakmods in the UK.

You can buy all the cable sleeving from Shakmods website or you can call him up and talk through what you want! He is very helpful!

That's a nice looking M1  build. You made that Noctua fan look pretty good. Loving the muted grayscale look.

1 hour ago, ccRicers said:

That's a nice looking M1  build. You made that Noctua fan look pretty good. Loving the muted grayscale look.

Thanks! Glad you like it! I am not a fan of the Noctua standard colours at all, they look disgusting! Painting it was easy and I would do it again if I had too!

On 6/19/2016 at 7:08 AM, the pokemon kid said:

Thanks! Glad you like it! I am not a fan of the Noctua standard colours at all, they look disgusting! Painting it was easy and I would do it again if I had too!

I agree, I have the NH-C14 and I swapped the top fan for a BeQuiet Silent Wings 2, I'll leave the bottom fan as you cant see it...

18 hours ago, d33g33 said:

I agree, I have the NH-C14 and I swapped the top fan for a BeQuiet Silent Wings 2, I'll leave the bottom fan as you cant see it...

I thought about using the NH-C14. But I am using Dominator Platinums and was worried about the clearance of the cooler... Did you have to use low profile sticks?

1 hour ago, the pokemon kid said:

I thought about using the NH-C14. But I am using Dominator Platinums and was worried about the clearance of the cooler... Did you have to use low profile sticks?

I doubt dom plats would have fit so good move there.

I have low profile sticks with EK Monarch plates fitted, its close but just makes it, I'm pretty sure even with the monarch plates it sits lower than dominator platinums.

Funny that our custom cables are almost identical, almost.

On 6/21/2016 at 0:26 AM, d33g33 said:

I doubt dom plats would have fit so good move there.

I have low profile sticks with EK Monarch plates fitted, its close but just makes it, I'm pretty sure even with the monarch plates it sits lower than dominator platinums.

Funny that our custom cables are almost identical, almost.

It was a super tight fit even with them! The is only just not touching the heatsink! I really like the EK Monarch plates. I just wish they didnt have the screw holes showing. Maybe just have a blank top over them!

Yeh, its very close! I wanted something that matched the GTX 970 and the SSD. However I have now sprayed the MB to match too!