The Micro Beast - Ncase M1 build!

the pokemon kid

Hey guys,

I thought I would create a thread to show me building my newest system build!

Parts List
Case: Ncase M1 V3 (Arrived)

Motherboard: Asus Z97I-Plus Mini ITX (Arrived)
CPU: Intel i5 4690k (Arrived) - Swapped out for Intel i7 4770k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (Arrived)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (Nvidia cooler edition) (Arrived)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider SFX 600w (Arrived)

RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum (Already got)

SSD: 256gb Crucial MX100 (Arrived)

Fans: Phobya E-loops and BeQuiet Silent wings (Arrived/ Arrived)

Optical drive: Blu-Ray DVD drive (Arrived)

Reason for this build

Currently I have got a small build in a Aerocool cube case, it has got a AMD 760k CPU (see description for full build), However I want something that is even smaller/ more powerful. I have been looking around for a while for a case and the NCase M1 came back up for pre-order... So I wasted no time in ordering one! The next thing was to sort out the parts I would be using, I wanted something which would work as a gaming/ media PC. I like to game of my TV, I enjoy playing easy going games (Mainly driving with my Xbox controller), but have found the 650ti Boost which I currently use sometimes strains a little under load (I even put a custom cooler on it, but it hasn't helped.). After looking around, the major bang for your buck is either going down the AMD route with a R9 290x or with Nvidia with a GTX 970. The R9 290x's power requirements were a little scary for the 600w SFX power supply so I opted for the GTX 970. I went for the Nvidia cooler edition because the M1 is so small I thought I would try and keep the case pressure positive by having a single fan blowing into the turbine cooler. 

I then had the choice of CPU and CPU coolers. I decided on the Intel i5 4690k so I would be able to do some light to medium photo/ video work on it if I needed to as well, as I am a photographer and very keen videotographer. For this reason an AIO watercooler would work perfectly! It will just about fit into the case and will keep the computer lovely and cool. I will have the both the 120mm fans blowing air into the case, through the CPU cooler and the PSU/ single 92mm fan at the back blowing air out of the case.

For storage I went with the very nice Crucial M550, I have currently got two of these in my other ring (Envy, see description for more details) and I have been very impressed by their performance. I am debating whether to buy two and run them in RAID 0 or not, but I am swaying towards not because of Christmas just around the corner... I may also opt for a lower volume of storage and put in a 500gb 2.5" drive into the computer instead. I may also opt for a MX100 256gb SSD :D

I intend on custom braiding the cables for this power supply. The build has got a nice, gold and silver theme going on so I might get some gold, silver and black cable braid and make some tasty looking cables!

Please subscibe if you want to get regular updates on this build!

Always love seeing M1 builds!

Is the Noiseblocker meant for the PSU? If so, do NOT swap the fan in the PSU!

The SX600-G fan uses a 0-5V range instead of the more common 0-12V range. So the Noiseblocker will spin too slowly and overheat the PSU.

I've seen one person instead run the fan off a motherboard header but I hesitate to recommend that because that decouples the PSU internal temp from the fan speed.

I love the Ncase M1, I really want to do a build in one

Now is your time to preorder one! They are having another limited run of these cases right now!

Always love seeing M1 builds!

Is the Noiseblocker meant for the PSU? If so, do NOT swap the fan in the PSU!

The SX600-G fan uses a 0-5V range instead of the more common 0-12V range. So the Noiseblocker will spin too slowly and overheat the PSU.

I've seen one person instead run the fan off a motherboard header but I hesitate to recommend that because that decouples the PSU internal temp from the fan speed.

Na, The noise blocker fan if for the rear outtake. The PSU is positioned at the front of the case. The only thing I intend on doing to the PSU is braiding the cables up!

I have seen a few modded SX600-G's where they have attahced the fan to the external casing of the PSU. Looks ugly as all hell. I am not worried about the fan spinning all the time.  

Now is your time to preorder one! They are having another limited run of these cases right now! 

If only I had the spare money. Getting old and paying bills sucks

First bits have started to arrive! Processor and SSD! The case is going to be dispatched on the 18th! So I hopefully may get it before Christmas, but either way. I will have a project over the holiday period!

15314834264_b67a1332d1_z.jpg

First Delivery! by Mat Teague, on Flickr

15749641418_15ec6e61fd_z.jpg

4690k and MX100 by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Yay!! Packages!!! Can't wait to see more arrive 

Hopefully! The motherboard, graphics card and PSU will be here tomorrow! I can then show off the sexy GTX 970 Nvidia edition which is only sold at Overclockers 

There is a package at home containing an Asus Motherboard, Silverstone SFX PSU and a GTX 970! Cant wait for work to finish now! I can put everything together to give it a first boot to make sure it all works!

I am still thinking on whether I want to air cool the CPU or use an AIO unit. My only thought is how small the case is and how long the tubing on a H100i is... Seen some pictures of some pretty bad kinking because of how small the case is.

There is a package at home containing an Asus Motherboard, Silverstone SFX PSU and a GTX 970! Cant wait for work to finish now! I can put everything together to give it a first boot to make sure it all works!

I am still thinking on whether I want to air cool the CPU or use an AIO unit. My only thought is how small the case is and how long the tubing on a H100i is... Seen some pictures of some pretty bad kinking because of how small the case is.

Sweet!!! I have a new mouse and cpu cooler coming today

Corsair m95 and a cryorig R1 universal 

The CPU cooler looks massive! Very similar looking to the Noctua one!

Never really had any experience with Corsair Mice or keyboards, I bought a Mionix Naos and I a very happy with it!

The CPU cooler looks massive! Very similar looking to the Noctua one!

Never really had any experience with Corsair Mice or keyboards, I bought a Mionix Naos and I a very happy with it!

I only got the mouse because it was like $40 on black Friday 

Thats a pretty decent deal! its £55 over here!!! you have got a real bargin!

I just hope I like it and that it fits my hand good 

Here is the delivery from today!

OCUK delivery! Always comes with sweets!
15761285949_76835c1bc0_z.jpg

Another day, Another delivery by Mat Teague, on Flickr

15946631032_97a0c19813_z.jpg

Package Contents! by Mat Teague, on Flickr

I simply could not believe how small this 600w SFX PSU was, I mean it is so small!!!

15759978800_1b24303288_z.jpg

Silverstone SFX 600w by Mat Teague, on Flickr

The size of this bad boy compared to the SFX PSU!

15946575702_ff47e68fda_z.jpg

GTX 970 Nvidia Cooler edition by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Beautiful backplate too!

15324952334_725c42b40a_z.jpg

Backplate by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Mini ITX Moterhboard!

15946539032_7d24b8eca5_z.jpg

Asus Mini ITX by Mat Teague, on Flickr

15945239961_5b535401ef_z.jpg

Asus Mini ITX by Mat Teague, on Flickr

So many people are teasing me with this case :< If I only knew this case existed before I had build my node 304 :/  (Tinier is better :3 ) 

Subscribe to the thread and I can tempt you more when I get the case :D

Just ordered a H100i ! Hopefully it will fit into the case once it is here! :D

It will :) My buddy has a h105 in his 

Oh and here is my new cooler! 

post-44533-0-38909200-1417800718.jpg