The FIRST thing you turn down....

BerginUK

It goes back to the beginning of mankind. The men bring resources to the women to feed their eggs.

We don't live at the "beginning of mankind" - as if you could even postulate a starting point...

We don't live at the "beginning of mankind" - as if you could even postulate a starting point...

Oh so it has nothing to do with procreation ?

AA, AO, Shadows, Tessellation.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Depends on the game, as not all effects will be as costly in different titles. But I'll often tweak SSAA/MSAA (especially if I can inject SMAA) or ambient occlusion first. If present, I usually turn off FXAA and motion blur immediately for visual quality reasons if that counts.

The last things I'd sacrifice are resolution, anisotrophic filtering, or in most cases texture quality.

Typically I start with FXAA anyway, because I'd rather have higher details than better AA. Though, my 760 can typically pull off 2x TXAA, but not many game support it.

I can turn down ambient occlusion, but only if I haven't played with something like HBAO+ already - then the image looks undershadowed and it annoys me.

Lastly is resolution and texture quality, though with only 2GB of VRAM, I typically can't go all the way up with textures in new games.

Also, if a game has PhysX, I crank that shit up. Screw everything else.

I hate motion blur

I mostly turn off shadows. 

After that, DoF or AO, depending on the game.

MSAA always has kinda a big fps price for me, so i stick with SMAA 

I can turn down ambient occlusion, but only if I haven't played with something like HBAO+ already - then the image looks undershadowed and it annoys me.

I'm actually noticing the same thing. I never used to think it made a big difference proportionally to it's framerate cost. But since I got my 770 I've been playing a lot more games with AO on, and I'm beginning to notice how flat games can look without it.

I'm not usually conscious of it being on, but I definitely notice when it's off.

Well first off, if the game uses MSAA, I turn that stupid shit off.

-Force 2560x1600 resolution upscale and FXAA in Nvidia control panel (I have a 1200p monitor) unless the game has SMAA built in.

-Turn off any kind of motion blur, lens flares, chromatic abberations, film grain or other shaders purely made to mask developer laziness

-Usually at this point I don't have to turn down anything else, it will run fine. But if the game is badly optimized and FPS still suffers I will probably turn off SSAO (I don't like SSAO to begin with anyway, too many artifacts)

-Still bad? The developers suck/ the publisher Stalin'd the devs, and I will put the game away until it gets patched.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

AA, then AF down to 8x if necessary.  After that, motion blur, ambient occlusion and then shadows.

You bought 980 for 1080P gaming? LOL!

Some of us like to play as many games as we can @ 60fps or more without compromising on IQ.

You bought 980 for 1080P gaming? LOL!

:P

:ph34r:

OT: I usually turn down AA first, followed by lighting effects. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I always disable depth of field effects and motion blur. Then AA

MSAAx2, i don't even try to set it higher, rest maxed out, works at 1080p/60fps on every game with a 970

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I instantly turn off motion blur. I cant stand it.

CPU  i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Cooler: Swiftech H220 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Motherboard: Z170X Gaming 7 | PSU: EVGA G2 650W
Storage: 128GB Kingston SSD/1TB WD Black Storage | CASE: NZXT Switch 810 | MONITOR: Acer GN246HL | KEYBOARD: CM Quickfire TK (MX Blue) | MOUSE: Sensei Rival

since I mainly play arma the first thing you do is turn down the render distance, somewhere around 1 - 1.5 klm

Its all about those volumetric clouds

AA down to x2 or off @ 1440

Then motion blur, got new comp so everything else is maxed at the mo. Ambient Oclusion will start to be nerfed as and when needed.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

AAx2, motion blur depending on the game, lens flares i don't like it, also reflections i find them distracting and useless.

Motion Blur (I often turn it down/off anyways if it's borderline seizure inducing), Anti-Aliasing to 2x or fxaa, Shadows, Ambient occlusion, foliage/grass, Water, Tessellation, Graphic mods (if any), Texture quality, Depth of field, Bloom (if any), usually in that order.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Why turn settings down?  Just get another 980 and SLI them.  Problem solved.

On a more serious note : I first turn the AA down a couple of notches, then the shadows and the blur.

For what?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III