Ohh GeekSquad xDDD

dgtL

So today i had to run get a temp hdd since i lost a drive last night. Only place i have is bestbuy so i was forced to go there. So I grabbed a Caviar Black off the self and went up front. The girl was checking me out and there was a geeksquad guy to my right and i asked "Why would they put Sata 600 on these 7200rpm drives?" more just poking fun at wd marketing and uneducated consumers. He was like a deer in headlights! xDD It was so funny, he took about a min and said "well if you put 4 or 5 of them in raid 0 it will use the sata 6gbs" I almost busted out laughing. but i was nice and said oh ok thank you. took my change receipt and left.

pretty random but i had to share todays bestbuy experience with you guys.

I remember once going to Future shop to help my friends mom buy a PC(she was very firm on wanting a pre built machine) and this guy wanted to charge her extra to have them take it to the back to give it a "performance boost" using their software. Being the polite person I am i restrained myself and just advised her against it. Basically shot down every cash grab from anti viruses, extended warranties, and just plain useless software.

​It annoys the heck out of me when sales people talk out of their butts to up sell something they don't even understand themselves.

I always laugh in best buy when i walk by and see how much they charge for a generic stick of 2gb ram

I don't even think they get training any more and if they do it's very bad training.

Funny stuff man...I actually wanted to apply to GeekSquad as it's the only hardware place in my city(well next to Radioshack and a Circuit City :/), but I keep rethinking it and it's just not worth it... especially with all the idiots running around.

Really sucks :(

I remember once going to Future shop to help my friends mom buy a PC(she was very firm on wanting a pre built machine) and this guy wanted to charge her extra to have them take it to the back to give it a "performance boost" using their software. Being the polite person I am i restrained myself and just advised her against it. Basically shot down every cash grab from anti viruses, extended warranties, and just plain useless software.

​It annoys the heck out of me when sales people talk out of their butts to up sell something they don't even understand themselves.

yessir, agreed.

I always laugh in best buy when i walk by and see how much they charge for a generic stick of 2gb ram
yea all of the markup just blows my mind. but it is a brick and mortar so they gotta pay for lights and what not...i guess. still sucks.

I don't even think they get training any more and if they do it's very bad training.
Yea im sure they get some training... like how to up sell. :O but seriously its like they have no idea 95% of the time. they are just lucky that a lot of their customers know even less.

Funny stuff man...I actually wanted to apply to GeekSquad as it's the only hardware place in my city(well next to Radioshack and a Circuit City :/), but I keep rethinking it and it's just not worth it... especially with all the idiots running around.

I mean if you have the patience I think it could be very rewarding to yourself and your customers. actually educating people about the products and selling them only what they need. IMO good business only brings better business, if you dont have the patience with less informed ppl i would imagine you would be ready to strangle someone within your first week. xD

Geek squad is a joke. My brother was an assistant manager for bestbuy in Miami for 3 years. He brought me home there so called M.R.I disk one night to see what I thought of it. LOL it is pretty much a simple guide with lots of programs to help them fix peoples computers. a 10 year old could fix a pc with that disk. I asked him what was required for you to be a geek squad employee, he said they give you a test if you pass it you have a chance to work a the geek squad. LOL again , that most be a test a blind person can take. He looked into it more for me. I found out that you get paid $10.75 an hour working for the geek squad when you should be making $15 to $20 to start off with. You do not need any college education or certificates what so ever ( the average Joe can work there and I mean the Average Joe). My brother said very few people that worked at his store really knew what they were doing except how to read cards and follow books and M.R.I disk lol that one cracks me up every time. That disk is a AIO and a very poorly made AIO at that.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I do have patience, the only time I will want to strangle someone is when they are a complete *** to me!

Geek squad is a joke. My brother was an assistant manager for bestbuy in Miami for 3 years. He brought me home there so called M.R.I disk one night to see what I thought of it. LOL it is pretty much a simple guide with lots of programs to help them fix peoples computers. a 10 year old could fix a pc with that disk. I asked him what was required for you to be a geek squad employee, he said they give you a test if you pass it you have a chance to work a the geek squad. LOL again , that most be a test a blind person can take. He looked into it more for me. I found out that you get paid $10.75 an hour working for the geek squad when you should be making $15 to $20 to start off with. You do not need any college education or certificates what so ever ( the average Joe can work there and I mean the Average Joe). My brother said very few people that worked at his store really knew what they were doing except how to read cards and follow books and M.R.I disk lol that one cracks me up every time. That disk is a AIO and a very poorly made AIO at that.
Yeah my professor had a student that worked as a geek squad and he told him that they used to only bring in people that was good at talking out of their ass to up sale things, but then they got caught so they supposedly added ppl that know what they are talking about. The same professor also had one of his clients laptop that wasn't working and he found that geek squad left that disk in there. So he looked at it and everything on there is free like cc cleaner and other things like that.

I wonder if geek squad will help or hinder your search for a better job. I've put in an application once, but never got anywhere.

LOL that is the same reason why my brother came home with the disk. As he was getting ready to clock out a customer gave him the disk and said a geek squad member had left it in his ODD, that's why he brought it home with him. I'm not sure if they help you search for a better job or not.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

We don't have a best buy in Australia but we have very similar things in our similar stores that we call: Office works, JG-HiFi, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman etc. all the consumer tech stores and as you peeps describe are exactly the same :(

absolute blithering idiots

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

We don't have a best buy in Australia but we have very similar things in our similar stores that we call: Office works, JG-HiFi, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman etc. all the consumer tech stores and as you peeps describe are exactly the same :(

At least Officeworks and JB Hi Fi are pretty negotiable on price. I always love haggling with sales people who have no idea what they're on about though, so much fun to mess them about :)

I have one of those M.R.I disk's they left it in one of my laptops which they had for over a month to fix. I guess it was a good trade off.

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

You guys can haggle? Are those like small business or something?

I was actually thinking of applying for a job at Best Buy, don't know if the accept high school students.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

That's exactly why I would never work at Best Buy.

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

Yea you can haggle for discounts even at bestbuy.

The people at office works, have a vague idea of what the product is. and by that i mean ask them a question, they grab the box and read it to you.

while (true) {

live();

}

Remember World of computers at all bradscoolio? Worst buisness known to man in Australia.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

I applied for geek squad repair agent, and they never got to me so meh, but hearing about how they are this clueless makes me not want to work there. My friends made fun of me for even attempting to work there lol but I needed a job desperately and still do :(. Wished I lived in Canada, would go chill with Slick and Linus :). Not to be a complete dick but sometimes I get so pissed off at geek squad for their lack of knowledge on subjects they should have knowledge in I just want to go on a trolling spree.

Doesn't ring a bell unfortunately, i wouldn't be surprised if it was... many shit hole computer joints in Australia. Even the big brand stores like HB-HiFi are pretty dingy.

http://pccasegear.com/ FTW!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

On the topic of Best Buy, heard from a super reliable friend that works the Games Department at Best Buy in California that their store is #2 in sales in the nation.

Hilarious when he told me that even then, the store is not 'breaking revenue'. Even sadder, instead of having two different departments that allocated 150 work hours for Games Department Staff and another 150 work hours for the Cameras Department staff Best Buy combined both Games and Camera Departments. You'd think Best Buy would do that and make the combined work hours allowed to be 300? Nope, still 150 work hours allocated for whomever wasn't let go. Plus the workers that stayed with Best Buy had to work two different departments.

To hell with Best Buy.