Female Video Game Reviewer Contacts Mothers

Artificial Ignorance

I edited my post a few times while you were posting that I think.

In terms of rape threats against men and women. The evidence is that actual number of cases involving rape. Most of the victims are women, I do understand however a lot of victims of rape that are men simply never report it. Which is a big issue in the United States because over there they don't seem to give a shit about the state of their prisoners.

However, in the rest of the world at least there is solid evidence that women are raped more than men. And generally threatened with rape more than men.

EDIT: I didn't call the community sexist and misogynist I just said that the industry is leaning towards this way of thinking where it's OK. Which causes the community to comply with that idea.

You did edit yours after I started mine. It looks like we are on the same page (well maybe two sides of the same coin). This is a problem. This does need to change. This woman went about it the right way.

I wonder when, if ever, people will understand that such threats are basically apart of the internet, regardless of your sex or gender. Go play CoD for 10 minutes with voice chat turned on and you will see this.

Newsflash: Immature people are Immature.

That doesn't make it ok, but it doesn't make it "sexism" either. It's simply what it has always been, trolling/flaming.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Everyone on the internet are just absolute *****

As much as I like the so called "anonymity" of the web, this sort of shit needs to stop.

That being said, I wouldn't want those sorts of people to ruin it for everyone else with some new stupid law being brought out.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I wonder when, if ever, people will understand that such threats are basically apart of the internet, regardless of your sex or gender. Go play CoD for 10 minutes with voice chat turned on and you will see this.

Newsflash: Immature people are Immature.

That doesn't make it ok, but it doesn't make it "sexism" either. It's simply what it has always been, trolling/flaming.

TIL:

Rape threats against women - sexism

Rape threats against men - not sexism

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Part of me says that she should just ignore all the comments since it's all part of being a Youtuber, but the other half of me wants to say "Good job" to her for being professional and not overreacting about the issue.

The very fact that you pass this off as just "being part of a YouTuber" is disturbingly telling of just how deeply rooted this problem really is. A rape threat is on the same tier as a death threat and should never be said or taken as a joke.

The only intent of the guy saying that to the woman in this article was to instill fear in her. It was not a joke. Sure, perhaps he would never actually rape her, but he doesn't need to. His goal was to put her into a state of fear and to make her feel vulnerable. And that's a problem.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The very fact that you pass this off as just "being part of a YouTuber" is disturbingly telling of just how deeply rooted this problem really is. A rape threat is on the same tier as a death threat and should never be said or taken as a joke.

The only intent of the guy saying that to the woman in this article was to instill fear in her. It was not a joke. Sure, perhaps he would never actually rape her, but he doesn't need to. His goal was to put her into a state of fear and to make her feel vulnerable. And that's a problem.

I'm pretty sure a 12 year old wasn't trying to instill fear he was just being a childish shit I doubt he had the intelligence to think about it being thought of that way. I assume it to be no different to the hundreds of thousands of threats and insults received by any competitive gamer male or female.  

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Whenever you are in a position of audience or power there are bound to be these kinds of people. The internet is a great "enabler". Sometimes its enabling people to do great things, Sometimes its enabling them to be a very unkind person. While I don't believe it is acceptable behavior, I am not sure that there is much that can be done in a broad context.

As internet culture, and globalized culture in general matures I hope this becomes less and less of an issue.

post-8737-0-76925600-1417331850.jpg

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I find the notion of rape being equal to, or even surpassing the severity of murder, to be somewhat strange. They're not even in the same league to me. Ask any group of people whether they'd rather be raped or killed and I'm pretty sure you'd get a unanimous response. But I digress...

Personally, I don't see much of a problem here whatsoever. I'd argue, if you don't have the leather skin recquired to ignore the nonsense people throw at you, you don't belong on the internet at all. Especially not if you're a public figure, as this woman apparently is. If you're a public figure or any sort you HAVE to be able to take some flack. If you get "disturbed and paralyzed by fear" literally just because of something some 12 year old said, I'm afraid you're in the wrong business. Taking any online threat seriously is ridiculous, I've lost count of the amounts of dicks people have wanted me to suck, how many men my mother apparently has sex with, and how often I've been "virtually skull fucked by some guy's l33t 360 no scope skillz as he was blazin' it 420 style to the tunes of Darude - Sandstorm." People are full of shit, that's just a basic fact of life. The only reason people keep their shit to themselves is fear - be it of violent or societal retorts. And they have no reason to fear on the internet - nor should they. People shouldn't be cencored just because some overly sensitive feminists demand it, nor should they live in fear of Big Brother watching them as they freely express themselves on the web. It's ridiculous how much power empty words apparently have over some of these people... The "Ban Bossy" campaign still baffles me to this date.

You want adequate reason to be fearful? Try having a fatwa called out on your head. That's reason for fear.

Proper response to some kid from halfway across the world, saying you're ugly and he'd gladly slap his salty fish stick against your cheek if he ever got the chance? Ignore, forget, move on. Because that's all that his comment ever meant - nothing.

I find the notion of rape being equal to, or even surpassing the severity of murder, to be somewhat strange. They're not even in the same league to me. Ask any group of people whether they'd rather be raped or killed and I'm pretty sure you'd get a unanimous response. But I digress...

Personally, I don't see much of a problem here whatsoever. I'd argue, if you don't have the leather skin recquired to ignore the nonsense people throw at you, you don't belong on the internet at all. Especially not if you're a public figure, as this woman apparently is. If you're a public figure or any sort you HAVE to be able to take some flack. If you get "disturbed and paralyzed by fear" literally just because of something some 12 year old said, I'm afraid you're in the wrong business. Taking any online threat seriously is ridiculous, I've lost count of the amounts of dicks people have wanted me to suck, how many men my mother apparently has sex with, and how often I've been "virtually skull fucked by some guy's l33t 360 no scope skillz as he was blazin' it 420 style to the tunes of Darude - Sandstorm." People are full of shit, that's just a basic fact of life. The only reason people keep their shit to themselves is fear - be it of violent or societal retorts. And they have no reason to fear on the internet - nor should they. People shouldn't be cencored just because some overly sensitive feminists demand it, nor should they live in fear of Big Brother watching them as they freely express themselves on the web. It's ridiculous how much power empty words apparently have over some of these people... The "Ban Bossy" campaign still baffles me to this date.

You want adequate reason to be fearful? Try having a fatwa called out on your head. That's reason for fear.

Proper response to some kid from halfway across the world, saying you're ugly and he'd gladly slap his salty fish stick against your cheek if he ever got the chance? Ignore, forget, move on. Because that's all that his comment ever meant - nothing.

Lol, the crazy shit I would get being a forum admin.  :blink:

Honestly, early on I found it quite disturbing, but you quickly get use to the whiny nonsensical hate. 

While I really do wish It was less of an issue, it is definitely nothing I would like to f##k up freedom of speech over. 

The over all dismissive responses I read is a bit disturbing and I feel show's to what degree endemic it is in the online gaming community. Not much hope things will change. Filters from brain to mouth should not be so dynamic just because some one is not in the presence of others directly.     

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

Genius

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

Stopped reading after the first three sentences. Author is trash. Article is trash. Reviewer probably trash.

If that's what it takes I guess it's only right. I've no idea how she'd go about finding said parents though. But it's important that people realise that just because it's the internet doesn't mean you shouldn't be polite. Some people go there to discuss things like adults, and play games like adults, and it's not funny how a bunch of kids ruin it for everyone.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Fucking brilliant

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

TIL:

Rape threats against women - sexism

Rape threats against men - not sexism

This a huge misconception among a lot of people. This is a very real issue amount not just rape. People have the skewed perspective that ( Insert many Legal offence ) against a women is automatically a case of sexism, this misperception is very bad and leads to the mistreatment of men by Omission.

And I am not saying this baseless. First off all Apparently threats against women = Sexist , and it apparently made some forum users make posts about how Video game industry is sexist.

As well take a look at something that made the front page of imgur.

http://imgur.com/gallery/44Z6y

Blatantly a case of domestic abuse/violence.

But because tumblr some retard spreads the misinformation that because it's a women its magically sexism and she is oppressed , not abused.

It's not about sexism , get this nonsense suggestion that all Mistreatment of a women is Sexist. Mistreatment of the gender is sexist. Mistreatment of a women is mistreatment.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

This a huge misconception among a lot of people. This is a very real issue amount not just rape. People have the skewed perspective that ( Insert many Legal offence ) against a women is automatically a case of sexism, this misperception is very bad and leads to the mistreatment of men by Omission.

And I am not saying this baseless. First off all Apparently threats against women = Sexist , and it apparently made some forum users make posts about how Video game industry is sexist.

As well take a look at something that made the front page of imgur.

http://imgur.com/gallery/44Z6y

Blatantly a case of domestic abuse/violence.

But because tumblr some retard spreads the misinformation that because it's a women its magically sexism and she is oppressed , not abused.

It's not about sexism , get this nonsense suggestion that all Mistreatment of a women is Sexist. Mistreatment of the gender is sexist. Mistreatment of a women is mistreatment.

I have a very hard time determining which team you bat for.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I have a very hard time determining which team you bat for.

I'm a weirdo outsider from both teams that likes to bash feminisms flaws. Like calling it feminism firstly.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

For a second there I thought what if it's a grownup... Right.

November, this is kinda cool. I'd do the same if it would start to bother me that is. Can't imagine what I would feel like if I got loads of these kinds of messages. Oh, right I don't have FB anymore.

i Kinda like they way how she responded to it , but given the quote

"It was just a way to try to reach a resolution, to productively teach young boys it's not okay to be sexist to women, even if they're on the internet," she says, "that they are real people and that there should be actual consequences for that."

see that exact sentence..?

that's just general stamping that all boys(possibly meaning men) are after females with threats & violence in general, nothing about it says it's not okay on the flipside for them to do the same or quite possibly disregard it,

You remember the last time someone did that right? it is a worst example , but it needs to be said before someone repeats it & follows everything blindly, Nazis thought Jews were all bad & should be extinct :/ because of one movement ,  it took a while for the world to understand & see the otherside they were being wrongly labeled & making them pay, But those who were in it (the movement) thought otherwise , all they cared about was security for them from their rivals..Like George.R.Martin said, Everybody's a hero in their own story , They're not villains ..

everyone else getting their asses handed over via a game chats everywhere & one person couldn't take it ? :/  so every boys out there need to learn a lesson? who's being sexist there? make no mistake it's an issue , But You can see the issue here , even if it's second nature for humans, don't expect everyone to be blind to the surrounding facts, all i'm saying there's a difference between a court justice & a lynch mob justice .

Kinda gives me the impression it's a methodical strategy they thought no one would notice. .

Details separate people.

i Kinda like they way how she responded to it , but given the quote

see that exact sentence..?

that's just general stamping that all boys(possibly meaning men) are after females with threats & violence in general, nothing about it says it's not okay on the flipside for them to do the same or quite possibly disregard it,

You remember the last time someone did that right? it is a worst example , but it needs to be said before someone repeats it & follows everything blindly, Nazis though Jews were all bad & should be extinct :/ because of one movement ,  it took a while for the world to understand & see the otherside they were being wrongly labeled & making them pay, But those who were in it (the movement) thought otherwise , all they cared about was security for them from their rivals..Like George.R.Martin said, Everybody's a hero in their own story , They're not villains ..

Just saying everyone else getting their asses handed over via a game chats everywhere & one person couldn't take it ? :/  so every boys out there need to learn a lesson? who's being sexist there? make no mistake it's an issue , But You can see the issue here , even if it's second nature for humans, don't expect everyone to be blind to the surrounding facts, all i'm saying there's a difference between a court justice & a lynch mob justice .

Kinda gives me the impression it's a methodical strategy they thought no one would notice. .

No. Just no....

It's you that is taking what she said out of context. It's people like you that really are just making this issue more difficult to discuss. You are assuming that is what she meant, she probably didn't.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, that statement was supposed to be taken in the context of the article. Young boys, implies young boys who have been inherently sexist through this culture that has accepted such threats like the ones described as being illegitimate on games like CoD.

If you take that statement, put it on it's own out of context then yes. Your conclusion may be plausible. Otherwise, you're just being ignorant.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

No. Just no....

It's you that is taking what she said out of context. It's people like you that really are just making this issue more difficult to discuss. You are assuming that is what she meant, she probably didn't.

yes , i know, same goes for them right? just showing you how brutally twisted people take this.. everybody ..takes it out of hand.. everyone's on a sinking ship & trying to throw each other out :/ for their safety

Details separate people.

Sadly enough words(insults) have lost their meaning on the internet. People flame away and don't think about it, it's become normal in certain games apparently.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

yes , i know, same goes for them right? just showing you how brutally twisted people take this.. everybody ..takes it out of hand.. everyone's on a sinking ship & trying to throw each other out :/ for their safety

Yeah, I keep doing this to people. Editing my posts after... Take a look @ what I said again :P.

However, my point remains that it's not OK to make these threats regardless of age, or what medium you are using to do it. E.g CoD or Facebook.

That doesn't mean I think that 12 year olds should be punished like adults, and that is why I agree with the approach taken.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor