Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

Is there room for cables to route behind the motherboard or do they all route in front, because if they do all route in front you have some nice cable management!! 

Nova-prototype-assembled-cable-managed.j

Oh god. I want this thing so bad!

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Is there room for cables to route behind the motherboard or do they all route in front, because if they do all route in front you have some nice cable management!! 

There are cutouts in the motherboard tray that allow for cables to be routed out-of-view. But in that picture, at least, Aiboh only fed the 8-pin and power switch cables (and a fan cable or two, I think) behind the tray. The position of the power supply actually does a lot to keep cabling under control, especially with the flat ribbon-style ones that come with SilverStone's SFX power supplies.

He also had to use adapters for the dual-GPU's, so for single GPU setups it would be much cleaner still.

NovaHero.jpg

Nova-Enclosure-CAD-LTT-1.jpgNova-Enclosure-CAD-LTT-2.jpg

Since there wasn't a mATX case on the market that I liked I decided to make my own. Turns out that designing your own case from scratch is harder than it looks but finally after many months of tweaking, discussion, testing, and more tweaking I'm finally close to getting my grubby paws on the case (hopefully by Friday).

The case is being manufactured by Protocase of Nova Scotia, Canada. They're a really cool company that specializes in low-volume custom sheet metal enclosures.

This is an Industrial Design Win! Major props for designing it!

How was pricing with ProtoCase? I'm guessing fairly expensive. 

Horizontal In Theory, Vertical In Practice. Know Hope [Productions]
Design is not meant to be observed; it's to be enjoyed and interacted with. - JValen

Always Remember Love What You Do.  :lol:

This is an Industrial Design Win! Major props for designing it!

How was pricing with ProtoCase? I'm guessing fairly expensive. 

$480 design/engineering services

$70 setup fee

$2048.52 manufacturing for one unit

Total: $2598.52

If you did do a small batch of cases about how much would you think they would go for?

If you did do a small batch of cases about how much would you think they would go for?

Not sure yet, I'm aiming for $250-$300 but there's a lot of details that need to be sorted out before I can get a better idea of price.

Not sure yet, I'm aiming for $250-$300 but there's a lot of details that need to be sorted out before I can get a better idea of price.

You going into mass production?

Steve

mass production?

take-my-money.gif

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I would be interested :)

You going into mass production?

The short answer: Yes, the intention is to use this first generation prototype to iterate on the design, and eventually run a crowdfunding campaign to do a production run.

The long answer: Google "Kimera Industries" and read more on the website!

The short answer: Yes, the intention is to use this first generation prototype to iterate on the design, and eventually run a crowdfunding campaign to do a production run.

Think you got the long and short backwards  ;)

BTW everyone, PlayfulPhoenix is part of the team, he made the awesome website and can help answer questions.

Thats an awesome website. Also, why is the long answer shorter than the short answer? :P

Steve

BTW everyone, PlayfulPhoenix is part of the team, he made the awesome website and can help answer questions.

Nice, What will international shipping be like?

Steve

Nice, What will international shipping be like?

Not sure, that'll depend on the final weight and size of the box which aren't finalized yet.

Edit: The NCASE M1 is $50 to England, so maybe $60-$70?

Not sure, that'll depend on the final weight and size of the box which aren't finalized yet.

Would you also sell individual components. For example, Im building a custom case from acrylic but I really like the handle so would i be able to buy the handle standalone?(as long as its not too expensive :P)

Steve

Thats an awesome website. Also, why is the long answer shorter than the short answer? :P

The short answer is a sentence, and the long answer is everything on a website ;)

Would you also sell individual components. For example, Im building a custom case from acrylic but I really like the handle so would i be able to buy the handle standalone?(as long as its not too expensive :P)

That may be possible, though if you just like the handle because it's machined from billet aluminum MNPCTech has one and they ship international: http://mnpctech.com/pc-case-lan-party-gaming-carry-top-server-tower-handles/billet-grooved-handles.html

will 2 120 mm fans fit in the bottom with the second gpu were its at?

will 2 120 mm fans fit in the bottom with the second gpu were its at?

With a spaced GPU setup, no - the case has one PCI slot beyond the motherboard, so if you have two dual-slot graphics cards separated by one empty slot, you've used all the space. Alternatively, you can have the cards up against each other, and reclaim that bottom slot for fans (or a 3.5" drive), but that will reduce the efficacy of top-card cooling.

Since a card mounted at the very bottom will feed itself with cool air from the bottom grates, and since fans blowing onto a video card would have most of that airflow hampered by said video card, in the end it actually isn't much of a compromise.