Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

It is my opinion that having them in the front will actually cheapen the look.  I would not at all be a fan of it.

Having the I/O on the front, you mean?

I'd agree that any ports and buttons will be challenging to incorporate, in a way that doesn't conflict with the aesthetic we're hoping to achieve. However, we're looking at a few ways in which we can provide that functionality without any major compromises to the design, both aesthetically and practically. It's an area we've been giving a lot of time and thought to. We're incredibly picky about this stuff.

TLDR: I promise you that, when you see the final design for Nova, you'll be happy no matter how the I/O ends up. We're working tirelessly to see to that.

Duly noted everyone but it's much easier to have front IO and then not include it than try to make it work when it wasn't designed for it.

Fantastic looking case and I can't wait to hear more about when they'll be up for sale.

Fantastic looking case and I can't wait to hear more about when they'll be up for sale.

Thanks! We'll have updates pretty soon :)  Until then, though, following us on the forums (Here, HF, OCN & SFN) is your best bet for short updates, and you can catch bigger/detailed updates on our blog and newsletter (google "Kimera Industries" to find our website).

Having the I/O on the front, you mean?

I'd agree that any ports and buttons will be challenging to incorporate, in a way that doesn't conflict with the aesthetic we're hoping to achieve. However, we're looking at a few ways in which we can provide that functionality without any major compromises to the design, both aesthetically and practically. It's an area we've been giving a lot of time and thought to. We're incredibly picky about this stuff.

TLDR: I promise you that, when you see the final design for Nova, you'll be happy no matter how the I/O ends up. We're working tirelessly to see to that.

Yeah having the I/O in the front.  My favorite part of the aesthetic is how clean the lines are from the front of the case.  It's something I can picture removing the handle from and setting up with prominence in my basement HTPC set-up.  Have you considered something like a "trap door" (think Xbox 360 cover for controller ports) that's spring loaded but would cover the ugliness of the I/O when not in use?  That way you'd maintain the functionality while not compromising the clean look.  

I am very much looking forward to the success of this product.  I cannot remember a time that I was so pleased to see form meet function at such a high level.  This thing is going to be amazing, and you guys are doing everything the right way. 

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Poll time again!

Today's topic is adding a bit more height and depth to also support ATX power supplies where the SFX is currently.

This came about because I'm tired of listening to either the fan on the SX600-G running at high speed at idle or the clacking on the SX500-LG

Cons:

The volume is currently sitting at 18.0L, adding front ATX support would increase it to 18.6L

It wouldn't be perfect, 140mm ATX units would fit just fine but 160mm modular units would only work if the card isn't too long. 10.5" cards like the reference 980 would work provided the connectors on the PSU are either centered or offset towards the fan side of the PSU.

Of course this limits use of the front, a 120mm fan may just fit with a 160mm PSU. Depends on how much extra height I can add without going over the volume increase budget.

If we can't get a 16 gauge internal AC cord it would also limit the PSU to less than 1000W at least, I'd probably limit it to 850W to be safe.

Like the M1, some PSUs won't work due to bad AC inlet position/orientation that could cause the power cord to interfere with the frame.

Pros:

Can use ATX PSU along with air cooler or side bracket.

Have you considered something like a "trap door" (think Xbox 360 cover for controller ports) that's spring loaded but would cover the ugliness of the I/O when not in use?  That way you'd maintain the functionality while not compromising the clean look.

I've seen those little flaps on Lian Li cases and don't like them at all, but maybe that's just me.

We'll be dropping the idea of front ATX PSUs for this design. After implementing some other stuff it turns out it'd require more like a 1.1L increase. Reception has been lukewarm for the 0.6L so that won't fly.

X6dSOu2.jpg

Interesting development today, that would significantly affect builds in Nova, per techPowerUp:

SilverStone is flexing its engineering muscle, to woo the compact gaming PC community that the SFX-L form-factor of power supplies have arrived, and ready for multi-GPU. SFX-L is slightly bigger than SFX but significantly smaller than ATX. The company is ready with a 700-Watt PSU in the SFX-L form-factor. Part of the company's new SFX-L G series, the lineup will be lead by the 700W SX700L-G, followed by a 600W model, the SX600L-G. The company pioneered this form-factor with the 500W SX500L-G, earlier this January. The new PSUs will likely have enough juice and straws for gaming PC builds with up to two graphics cards. The two will boast of 80 Plus Platinum efficiency ratings. The company is expected to show them off at Computex 2015, this June.

With that power supply, any dual-GPU build made inside Nova could use a SFX unit to power everything. In fact, short of quad-GPU builds using dual-GPU cards - or builds with very aggressive overclocks - no PC you could build in Nova would ever need an ATX power supply.

Just imagine this...

FnmooTY.jpg

...but with Titan X's. It would be possible!

X6dSOu2.jpg

Interesting development today, that would significantly affect builds in Nova, per techPowerUp:

With that power supply, any dual-GPU build made inside Nova could use a SFX unit to power everything. In fact, short of quad-GPU builds using dual-GPU cards - or builds with very aggressive overclocks - no PC you could build in Nova would ever need an ATX power supply.

Just imagine this...

FnmooTY.jpg

...but with Titan X's. It would be possible!

'twould truly be the epitome of the already glorious PC gaming master race

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

So... You can't run a company off of one case. What other ideas do you have planned?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

So... You can't run a company off of one case. What other ideas do you have planned?

I have about 6-7 other case designs in mind and then a few other things in other product categories entirely.

We have longer-term plans, ideas, and ambitions, for sure  :lol: But they're all things that would be done while riding on the success of Nova - and we still have to prove to everyone that our design acumen and build quality are all top-notch. So we'll speak more to these in the future, if given the opportunity  ;)

I have about 6-7 other case designs in mind and then a few other things in other product categories entirely.

Ah, the mystery... The suspense...

Ah, the mystery... The suspense...

Sorry for the vagueness but we're not sure if/when/what order we'll get to those other designs so I don't want to start making promises.

Got some powder coat samples in and man does the textured black look and feel nice:

lKXzJAj.jpg

Completely hides fingerprints too :)

Following this project with great anticipation, black powder coat looks awesome but the red you've got mocked up your site looks even better.

Following this project with great anticipation, black powder coat looks awesome but the red you've got mocked up your site looks even better.

We got a sample in red and it looks really good too  :)

We got a sample in red and it looks really good too  :)

BOOM!

(Pretty damn good.)

Preeety dayuum gooode

red looks absolutely awesome

First CaseLabs, and now BitFenix... It's a good thing we're changing the name of the case, huh? :P

c5iS5wn.jpg

What will the new name be? Any hints.

What will the new name be? Any hints.

None yet, but we'll have that (and a lot more) to share in a few weeks  ;)