Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia
Progress update, production is in progress!  :D

Nova-prototype_Laser-cutter.jpg

Laser cutter in action

Nova-prototype_Press-Brake.jpg

Don't think this is actually a part from Nova but it demonstrates how the flat pieces of metal from the previous step become the 3D shapes that makes sheet metal construction such a versatile process.

The operator positions the part and then the top die comes down, presses the part against the bottom die, and creates a bend.

Nova-prototype_Powder-coating-back-panel

Here's the back panel about to be powder coated

Nova-prototype_Powder-coating-PSU-bracke

Here's the PSU bracket. You can see in this picture the clip used to ground the part. Powder coating works by spraying a fine mist of a positively charged powderized coating (hence the name) at the part. The powder sticks to the part and once it is evenly coated it is moved to an oven where it is cured.

Nova-prototype_Various-parts-after-powde

Here's some of the parts out of the oven.

That's all for now, current estimated ship date is the 24th. Getting hard to wait now, it's so close :P

All aboard!  :P

Why am I this excited when it's not even my case  :blink:

I know I'm always excited to see a custom case design come to fruition.

how much are they charging you for this ? :o

$480 design/engineering services

$70 setup fee

$2048.52 manufacturing for one unit

Total: $2598.52

The look on people's faces when I tell them my rig is half the size of their Prodigy but twice as powerful: Priceless  :D

I'd totally get one, I kind of don't like my 350d now. haha

You know, when you really consider what's on the market for SFF cases, it's actually pretty surprising how space-inefficient almost everything is.

...In fact, that's probably true of most computer cases in general, if we're honest.

Hey guys, check out what Aiboh got in the mail today...  :D

He'll have more/better photos tonight, but it arrived a few hours ago!

Soo pretty. I have to agree that cases are vay space inefficient

Steve

Soo pretty. I have to agree that cases are vay space inefficient

Thanks!

that is nice

I really like how it turned out too.

Here's some nicer pics:

Nova-Prototype-teaser-1.jpg

Nova-Prototype-teaser-2.jpg

I need a few parts I'll pick up in the morning and tomorrow evening I should have lots of pics of the case itself and also the X99/SLI 980 build up and running inside it.

Thanks!

I really like how it turned out too.

Here's some nicer pics:

Nova-Prototype-teaser-1.jpg

Nova-Prototype-teaser-2.jpg

I need a few parts I'll pick up in the morning and tomorrow evening I should have lots of pics of the case itself and also the X99/SLI 980 build up and running inside it.

Wow, very nice!

ok, so if the build costs that much for the case than building my e-atx full tower aluminium case will be very expensive 

Don't take what I paid as the minimum. If you can do the engineering work yourself (or have a friend to do it for you) and a simpler design you could get something custom made much cheaper.

Wow, very nice!

Thanks!

dear goodness that sexy!

I love it, it's hard to see in the pics but this thing is tiny compared to normal cases.

Pics!

Nova-prototype.jpgNova-prototype-rear.jpgNova-prototype-side-inside.jpgNova-prototype-frame.jpgNova-prototype_frame-internals.jpgNova-prototype_case-comparison.jpg

Nova-prototype-assembled.jpg

Here's the case with everything assembled. Cabling is a mess for now, I forgot to pick up some zip ties. I'm real happy with the 8-pin CPU connector though, it routed behind the tray nicely. Also the power cord tucks in neatly along the top edge of the motherboard, staying out of the way of the top fan.

Here's the case with everything assembled. Cabling is a mess for now, I forgot to pick up some zip ties. I'm real happy with the 8-pin CPU connector though, it routed behind the tray nicely. Also the power cord tucks in neatly along the top edge of the motherboard, staying out of the way of the top fan.

Looks great.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This makes me erect

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Is it possible to make one that's a ITX form facter? The same length and everything, i'd like to try and make one myself to use as a simple travel PC.

Never.Quote.Images.

Fixed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Is it possible to make one that's a ITX form facter? The same length and everything, i'd like to try and make one myself to use as a simple travel PC.

I have vague plans for a Mini-ITX version but the NCASE M1 is a really good ITX case that's available now

I have vague plans for a Mini-ITX version but the NCASE M1 is a really good ITX case that's available now

Oh i thought that it was a little bit too small. Thanks.

I have no words... Mad respect for you man (*bowing down emoji*)

I don't know, those look an awful lot like words  :P

I tidied up the cables a bit today, not as bad a mess as it was. I also got the 2.5" bracket mounted in there.

Nova-prototype-assembled-cable-managed.j

Nova-prototype-assembled-top-detail.jpg

Here's a detail shot from above showing the top bracket and the power cord.