[Rumor] AMD's Plans For Carrizo, Devastating if True

patrickjp93

If I had been CEO of AMD for the last 8 years, Intel would be in pain, and ATI would still be wholly canadian and as strong as it would have been.

The problem with this statement is that you were not.

Many people can be really smart, after they witnessed something from the outside, not knowing every detail, and especially after the event happened.

The problem with this statement is that you were not.

Many people can be really smart, after they witnessed something from the outside, not knowing every detail, and especially after the event happened.

Oh no, my family dumped what stakes it had in AMD the moment Reed took the post, and we were right. My dad works as a property casualty actuary and is all too familiar with the financial world. AMD's buyout of ATI was foolish both in method and in price (1.4x what ATI was really worth), and we knew it then and continue to say it now. Nvidia or even up and coming Samsung would have been better partners for AMD's SOC dreams.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Is it arrogance when you are better than those you compare yourself to? Reed never should have been up for consideration as CEO. His track record before that was spotty. They should have merged with Nvidia instead of trying to buy out ATI. We'd have x86 CUDA APUs with some kick had AMD made the right decision. Even though Huang is an asshole, he had the money AMD desperately needed to keep both GloFo and its x86 operations afloat, and Nvidia had the engineers AMD lacked for SOC development.

If I had been CEO of AMD for the last 8 years, Intel would be in pain, and ATI would still be wholly canadian and as strong as it would have been.

Looking from the outside and in hindsight makes it far easier than being in their shoes at the exact time. I'm sure there is plenty of information that went into their decisions that we, as the public, are not privy to. Had you been a CEO I'm sure there can be repercussions and consequences to your decisions that you would not have been able to foresee.

Also, cheers for the loaded question. I'm disputing whether you actually are better than him. Have a little fucking self awareness, please.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Looking from the outside and in hindsight makes it far easier than being in their shoes at the exact time. I'm sure there is plenty of information that went into their decisions that we, as the public, are not privy to. Had you been a CEO I'm sure there can be repercussions and consequences to your decisions that you would not have been able to foresee.

Also, cheers for the loaded question. I'm disputing whether you actually are better than him. Have a little fucking self awareness, please.

We're privy to almost all of it. Nvidia released all the records of the talks when AMD went to them first with a merger proposal. Reed was just too prideful to let AMD be the 49% in the relationship. My family is full of tech enthusiasts, and we knew AMD would suffer the moment they announced the ATI buyout. Stock prices soared, and they paid sticker price for a company that was already on barebones capital while GloFo was also struggling and TSMC's prices were rising. 

We knew all of this in real time. Reed NEVER should have been CEO. I stand behind my comparisons and claims 10,000%.

I am better than him. My own stock portfolio performance is proof of that, which is a nice benefit of having a mother with a brokerage license (no commission to pay). We short-sold over $75,000 of AMD stock and we watched it tank. I have admitted several times I have Intel stock remaining in my portfolio, but I also consistently say I'd dump it and buy AMD right back up if the leadership showed (because Intel's growth potential is next to nothing at this point given they have almost total market dominance in PCs and supercomputers). That's why I also consistently say Carrizo and Zen were/are AMD's last chances in the processor wars. Now AMD will likely not even bring Carrizo to desktop, which is partly justified since we were sure they couldn't house HBM on-die since they were at GloFo's area per die limits anyway. It's still a massive projection of weakness, and it stems from Reed not allowing the Bulldozer family to be abandoned when the writing was on the wall five years ago.

Repercussions...being under Nvidia's umbrella would have meant playing 2nd to Huang. That could have meant PR problems, but the man is better than he used to be. Other than that...? Dealing with Samsung's lawsuits would have been no problem because AMD would have been a revenue builder for Nvidia. AMD would have kept Global Foundries. That might mean Samsung would not be delivering 16nm/14nm fab tech, but you know what else? Full ownership of GloFo would mean being first in line for the production runs, and with Nvidia's money, investments could have been made toward 20nm tech much sooner than TSMC. That last bit is slight conjecture, but it's pretty well grounded. The reality is Reed was a bad CEO who oversaw the practical collapse of AMD. With Lisa Sue at the helm I have some confidence restored, but even at age 13 (at the time) I could have done a better organizational and transitional job, even if I didn't have Reed's Italian-tailored suits to project with.

As per the loaded question, am I not allowed a stroke of humor?

I am self aware. I just don't pull punches.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And yet again I am forced to say "fuck the mobile platform". Companies are showing more interest in that; less and less in desktops and non mobile platforms.

Some of us just want to sit in the house with 6 monitors and not leave, is that so wrong? Why would I want to go outside, the graphics are great but the gameplay is terrible, and just about every NPC is an complete asshole.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And yet again I am forced to say "fuck the mobile platform". Companies are showing more interest in that; less and less in desktops and non mobile platforms.

Some of us just want to sit in the house with 6 monitors and not leave, is that so wrong? Why would I want to go outside, the graphics are great but the gameplay is terrible, and just about every NPC is an complete asshole.

Because you can't escape reality, and to be able to be productive while mobile, we need powerful mobile machines. People in the business world understand this, and we have more money than you as a whole, so we get more attention. Home PC users are the last people Intel cares about, and while I can't speak for AMD, I'm 99.99% sure they have higher aspirations than the common PC users as well.

Because you can't escape reality, and to be able to be productive while mobile, we need powerful mobile machines. People in the business world understand this, and we have more money than you as a whole, so we get more attention. Home PC users are the last people Intel cares about, and while I can't speak for AMD, I'm 99.99% sure they have higher aspirations than the common PC users as well.

There will always be things that a non mobile platform can do that a mobile platform cannot. I'm not necessarily against mobile platforms, I just don't like seeing non mobile get ignored.

There will always be things that a non mobile platform can do that a mobile platform cannot. I'm not necessarily against mobile platforms, I just don't like seeing non mobile get ignored.

It's all going cloud, except for gaming.

It's all going cloud, except for gaming.

As long as I can still have a setup with a nice comfy chair, and 6 awesome monitors (I'm up to 2 so far  :D ) I'm fine with that. lol

Is it arrogance when you are better than those you compare yourself to? Reed never should have been up for consideration as CEO. His track record before that was spotty. They should have merged with Nvidia instead of trying to buy out ATI. We'd have x86 CUDA APUs with some kick had AMD made the right decision. Even though Huang is an asshole, he had the money AMD desperately needed to keep both GloFo and its x86 operations afloat, and Nvidia had the engineers AMD lacked for SOC development.

the reason amd didnt buy out nvidia i think was due to conflicts with how they wanted the business to run. also heard Nvidia wanted more control over AMD and its running

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

No me-mes pls

The fuck is a me-mes?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

There's two possibilities at this point in time. Carrizo may make it to the desktop as FP4 to FM2r2 isn't exactly a hurdle as it's been done before sharing the same FP3 infrastructure. The other possibility is we will see Kaveri refreshes with higher base clocks. I imagine Carrizo-L may make it to the desktop platform as well in the form of AM1+. All of these rumors including the original article are to be taken with a grain of salt. We need to wait for AMD to get their official desktop roadmaps out. The only reason I can see AMD not pushing out desktop Carrizo is the possibility of HDL holding back clock frequencies. It would be pointless for them to launch a 2.6 GHz flagship desktop APU at this point in time regardless of IPC increase.

The fuck is a me-mes?

shitty no effort posts that just count to continue making this place an echo chamber of huehuehue ubisoft digs huehuehuehue without adding to the conversation at all

That about sums it up.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

shitty no effort posts that just count to continue making this place an echo chamber of huehuehue ubisoft digs huehuehuehue without adding to the conversation at all

That about sums it up.

Ah

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

This makes me happy :)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

the reason amd didnt buy out nvidia i think was due to conflicts with how they wanted the business to run. also heard Nvidia wanted more control over AMD and its running

AMD would have merged with Nvidia, not bought them out,--2