[Rumor] AMD's Plans For Carrizo, Devastating if True

patrickjp93

The original sources are PC Watch and bitsandchips.it.

http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-targetting-mobile-kaveri-power-desktop-side-2016/

The rumor across the pond is AMD is planning to keep Carrizo mobile only until 2016. That could easily mean Zen will not arrive until late 2016 or early 2017. As I said: devastating if true.

My response: WTF AMD?! Every time I think they might turn around and make good business decisions moving forward, I see something like this (which usually ends up true) where it seems the businessmen and the engineers just do not see eye to eye... This even suggests Carrizo won't be headed for servers until 2016 either. Please dear God let this rumor be wrong!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Looks like someone wants to get down to ubisoft :D

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I would hope that everyone knows if this is true its because 
AMD has to delay Zen, not because it enjoys being behind, 

Looks like someone wants to get down to ubisoft :D

No me-mes pls

keep ubi shitposting to ubi threads.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

What's the big deal, so AMDs next apu will be late, it will be two generations behind Intel no matter when its released.

AMD are out of the CPU race and have been for some time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I would hope that everyone knows if this is true its because 

AMD has to delay Zen, not because it enjoys being behind.

Which will put Zen up against Cannonlake, 14nm against 10nm, AMD's HSA 1.0 with HBM against Intel's completed version (equal-citizen scheduling is inbound). At that point it's going to be hexacore Intel's on the Z-series platform with Gen 9/10 graphics and 96+ EUs. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Maybe they will do another refresh of FX series in the mean time...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Maybe they will do another refresh of FX series in the mean time...

Keller and Co. have already said that's not happening until Zen. 

This is frustrating. So what's the down-low on AMD? Why are they so far behind?

You mean apart from 6 years of bad executive management, paying 1.4x what they should have in the ATI buyout, not having controlling interest in GloFo, and not having Intel's warchest and foundry equipment suppliers? I wrote a 20-page essay to the effect of why AMD as a company is suffering so much. These are just the bones and meat of it. The connective tissue where it all meshes together is the real brain fuck.

This is frustrating. So what's the down-low on AMD? Why are they so far behind?

Too many causes to pick them all, so here are some brief notes:

They under-invested in a new CPU architecture, without even a B-plan, so they milked the old K8 core for way too long.

Their first quad-core processor was a complete dud and 6+ months late (same story with Bulldozer later).

They paid twice the real price for the merger with ATi in 2006 and later sold the mobile GPU devision for pennies to Qualcomm, oblivious to the mobile market growth potential.

The separation from the chip manufacturing facilities put them in a series of outstanding payments to the new owner, for some old debts and future obligations for production capacities.

One word, WCCFTech. Take with a grain of salt.

Sourced from Bitsandchips Italy, far from a rumor mill/clickbait site.

I'd rather AMD delay a good chip then release a bad one early.

The Carrizo mobile chip engineering samples are already producing some benchmark numbers on SiSoft. It's not looking like a bad chip. This just means greater delays on Zen which will mean AMD remains a process node behind, maybe more if Samsung doesn't buy up GloFo.

The original sources are PC Watch and bitsandchips.it.

http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-targetting-mobile-kaveri-power-desktop-side-2016/

The rumor across the pond is AMD is planning to keep Carrizo mobile only until 2016. That could easily mean Zen will not arrive until late 2016 or early 2017. As I said: devastating if true.

My response: WTF AMD?! Every time I think they might turn around and make good business decisions moving forward, I see something like this (which usually ends up true) where it seems the businessmen and the engineers just do not see eye to eye... This even suggests Carrizo won't be headed for servers until 2016 either. Please dear God let this rumor be wrong!

Isn't AMD's Zen meant to be a completely different x86 architecture designed by Jim Keller and a bunch of others; if so then it'll likely still be coming in late 2015/early 2016.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Isn't AMD's Zen meant to be a completely different x86 architecture designed by Jim Keller and a bunch of others; if so then it'll likely still be coming in late 2015/early 2016.

It's designed for 16/14nm FinFET, which Samsung isn't even done delivering to Global Foundries. Late 2016/2017 is the reasonable timeframe given Samsung themselves haven't made anything more complex than NAND flash and a controller on the stuff.

Hey AMD, here's a plan that could actually work for you: Sell the entire processor division off to someone that has the money to sink into R&D like Samsung and focus on your true strength more: GPUs

Yeah sure and rename their company to ATI while they're at it...

You DO realise AMD has a vision here, right? Intel can't keep up its manufacturing lead forever. HSA is about more than just scheduling tasks between CPU and GPU. I agree that's a nice in-between goal but it's meant to be a layer in between to execute code on truly heterogeneous devices. Not just CPUs and GPUs but FPGAs, DSP's, the lot. A lot of AMD's resources are going into this and I agree they've dropped the ball on IPC performance a bit but hey, they've much less resources to work with.

And about their true strength: it is having both CPUs and GPUs. Intel has both too but even with the manufacturing advantage they're trailing with GPU architecture.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You mean apart from 6 years of bad executive management, paying 1.4x what they should have in the ATI buyout, not having controlling interest in GloFo, and not having Intel's warchest and foundry equipment suppliers? I wrote a 20-page essay to the effect of why AMD as a company is suffering so much. These are just the bones and meat of it. The connective tissue where it all meshes together is the real brain fuck.

Whoa buddy, that sounds quite in depth. I would like to take a glance through that if you don't mind. May I see a copy?

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Whoa buddy, that sounds quite in depth. I would like to take a glance through that if you don't mind. May I see a copy?

When I have wifi again I'll happily send it to you. (Spending Thanksgiving break with housemate's family in Chicago, with no wifi in the house ;(   Boo me...)

Yeah sure and rename their company to ATI while they're at it...

You DO realise AMD has a vision here, right? Intel can't keep up its manufacturing lead forever. HSA is about more than just scheduling tasks between CPU and GPU. I agree that's a nice in-between goal but it's meant to be a layer in between to execute code on truly heterogeneous devices. Not just CPUs and GPUs but FPGAs, DSP's, the lot. A lot of AMD's resources are going into this and I agree they've dropped the ball on IPC performance a bit but hey, they've much less resources to work with.

And about their true strength: it is having both CPUs and GPUs. Intel has both too but even with the manufacturing advantage they're trailing with GPU architecture.

Look if there was something to show me that vision has even remote chances of becoming a reality, I'd be all for it. Sad thing is that dreams take money, the bigger the dreams the more money it takes. We're talking billions here for their size of dreams. I mean it would be good for the industry for them to keep trying, but it would be even better if someone who could really threat intel like Samsung would get a jump start and really push the fuck out of the technology way faster than AMD could dream to right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Before any WCCF tech hate coming, I doubt AMD is that stupid. But, with how they were trying so hard for shoving cores onto FX, this maybe true as well. Rumor swings both ways as usual.

Hey AMD, here's a plan that could actually work for you: Sell the entire processor division off to someone that has the money to sink into R&D like Samsung and focus on your true strength more: GPUs

Id love to see AMD sell itself off to Qualcomm. They have big pockets and they want to break into the server market. This would be a match made in heaven