The Huffington Post starts digging on their own...

improbablepants

The UK branch of this click-baited company decided to be sexist and think that all gamers are Masculistic... They tweeted of female developed games being hated one, and then quickly deleted it.

http://i.imgur.com/esC1glk.jpg

I personally think that Feminism and Masculine are both stupid, and we should all just throw race, religion and sex out the window and treat eachother the same, but society disagrees.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Yeah Huffpo is the WCCF of political news. This isn't really news at all anyways.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I personally think that Feminism and Masculine are both stupid, and we should all just throw race, religion and sex out the window and treat eachother the same, but society disagrees.

I totally agree, though you're talking about 'gender' not 'sex.' 'Gender' is a culturally constructed concept of what is 'proper' for the sexes. 'Sex,' is a biological distinction of male or female. Granted, there are a few cases of hermaphrodites, but more or less it's gender issues, not sex.

throw religion out the window and treat eachother the same, but society disagrees.

How does society disagree on that regard? You mean the religious demographic that is always trying to stay relevant and impose itself on others and society itself while claiming to be the oppressed minority.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

How does society disagree on that regard? You mean the religious demographic that is always trying to stay relevant and impose itself on others and society itself while claiming to be the oppressed minority.

Welcome to humanity, you need to know 1 thing: Almost everyone tries to oppress everyone they disagree with.

I would ask these "feminists", just what right they have to morally judge someone else's sexuality? Regardless of what that sexuality is, straight, gay, lesbian, other, does it really matter? We are humans, we like getting our jibblies off, and will continue to do so. These Feminists are equally as bad as the church's who run around screaming "SEX IS DIRTY AND WRONG AND TERRIBAD! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!"

I totally agree, though you're talking about 'gender' not 'sex.' 'Gender' is a culturally constructed concept of what is 'proper' for the sexes. 'Sex,' is a biological distinction of male or female. Granted, there are a few cases of hermaphrodites, but more or less it's gender issues, not sex.

I spot a fellow political scientist in the room :P

Yeah Huffpo is the WCCF of political news. This isn't really news at all anyways.

No, that honor belongs to the National Enquirer, the New Yorker, or the Washington Times.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, that honor belongs to the National Enquirer, the New Yorker, or the Washington Times.

You're forgetting The New York Times, Forbes, and pretty much all major publications. Huffpo included.

You're forgetting The New York Times, Forbes, and pretty much all major publications. Huffpo included.

Nah. Huff post has more Integrity than the three I mentioned. NYT is the only publication which does hard-hitting reporting anymore too. They're the only ones carrying on Kronkite's legacy. The rest of news media can't hold a candle to the NYT despite the liberal bias it has for political news.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I knew it was going to have #GamerGate written all over it and I was correct. A group of people who just want to play video games and a pitiful attempt to try to slander them over an 'issue' they actually support. It'd be on par with Linus getting slandered because someone made a fan on par with Noctua for less. A thing Linus would be more than ok with this, not be insulted. The Huffington Post lives up to its name, to huff. Bunch of hot air spewing morons.

Nah. Huff post has more Integrity than the three I mentioned. NYT is the only publication which does hard-hitting reporting anymore too. They're the only ones carrying on Kronkite's legacy. The rest of news media can't hold a candle to the NYT despite the liberal bias it has for political news.

True enough, I tend to not consider any publication showing any kind of bias as having integrity. Journalism is supposed to be only "who, what, when and where" and that's about it.

Because every religious person does that. /s

True enough, I tend to not consider any publication showing any kind of bias as having integrity. Journalism is supposed to be only "who, what, when and where" and that's about it.

You forgot the why. That's the whole point of investigative journalism. Also, everyone has a bias. It's pointless to toss them all out based on that. You just have to have multiple news sources and know how to do fact checking.

It's the press' nonsense repeating and controverting itself so no need to read their pitiful articles.

Because every religious person does that. /s

If you are educated about the doctrines of the major Abrahamic religions, they are quite clear on telling their followers that they must spread the word and impose it on others, by force if necessary.

You must kill those who worship another god.  Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own.  Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you.  Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own.  Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah.  Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him.  Jude 5

You don't hear very often about these verses, do you? It just goes to show the nitpicking and hypocrisy.

They teach them that anyone who doesn't follow the same faith will be eternally tortured in a lake of fire, that alone isn't enough incentive to convert those around you?

The Quran contains at least 109 verses that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers for the sake of Islamic rule. Some are quite graphic, with commands to chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding.  

Muslims who do not join the fight are called 'hypocrites' and warned that Allah will send them to Hell if they do not join the slaughter.

Unlike nearly all of the Old Testament verses of violence, the verses of violence in the Quran are mostly open-ended, meaning that they are not restrained by the historical context of the surrounding text.  

They are part of the eternal, unchanging word of Allah, and just as relevant or subjective as anything else in the Quran.  

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing...
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful.   And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. 

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."  Not only does this verse establish that violence can be virtuous, but it also contradicts the myth that fighting is intended only in self-defense, since the audience was obviously not under attack at the time.  From the Hadith, we know that this verse was narrated at a time that Muhammad was actually trying to motivate his people into raiding merchant caravans for loot.

Quran (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Checked your profile, you're nothing but another run-of-the-mill apologist who'll use the same old rhetoric that has been refuted thousands of times by many great intellectuals. 

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

You don't hear very often about these verses, do you? It just goes to show the nitpicking and hypocrisy.

They teach them that anyone who doesn't follow the same faith will be eternally tortured in a lake of fire, that alone isn't enough incentive to convert those around you?

I'm not going to get into the specifics here. I've argued with people about the very verses you mentioned so many times and it always ends with me being called names, I leave the conversation irritated so I just deem it not worth discussing anymore since no one seems to be able to think rationally about this stuff.

I also do talk to people about my beliefs if they want to hear it. If they don't, I don't bother them with it. Simple enough.  

Checked your profile, you're nothing but another run-of-the-mill apologist who'll use the same old rhetoric that has been refuted thousands of times by many great intellectuals.

Aaaaaaaand there it is. Haven't even gotten into a discussion and you're already making judgments about me. What was that about religious people acting oppressed? Clearly we never get shit thrown at us in the form of statements such as yours.

I'm not going to get into the specifics here. I've argued with people about the very verses you mentioned so many times and it always ends with me being called names, I leave the conversation irritated so I just deem it not worth discussing anymore since no one seems to be able to think rationally about this stuff.

I also do talk to people about my beliefs if they want to hear it. If they don't, I don't bother them with it. Simple enough.  

Aaaaaaaand there it is. Haven't even gotten into a discussion and you're already making judgments about me. What was that about religious people acting oppressed? Clearly we never get shit thrown at us in the form of statements such as yours.

No one seems to be able to think rationally about "that stuff"?

That's because people like me can point out all the horrible shit and all of the inconsistencies and contradictions in your scripture but you'll still continue to apologize for it. So the word inspired by the creator of the universe requires apologists to defend it, it's very amusing.

The Bible and every other scripture has already been demonstrated to be bogus, then we're just left with an unfalsifiable hypothesis which is the concept of a deity. And there's not a single shred of evidence to support such a concept therefore we can relatively confidently dismiss it, the only reason we talk about it is because the world still has a bunch of idiots like you, and i'm not using idiot to characterize your entire person, just when it comes to this issue.

And another funny thing is that you being a Christian is a mere coincidence due to where you were born and what kind of people and culture surrounded you, had you been born in India or another country it would be a different story.

Christianity has nothing special about it in comparison to the thousands of other religions and dogmas, there can only be one true one or the most likely case, they're all false, so i doubt you'd win the lottery.

If you don't bother others with your beliefs and don't make decisions based upon them, that's very good for you, doesn't change the fact that there's an absurd number of people who do the exact opposite.

I find it sad and scary just how many Bible thumpers there are in the USA that want to send you back to the dark ages and impose "the word of God" upon everyone.

Same thing goes for the Middle-East, Islam gave us great people such as ISIS, few people dare to admit that they're Muslims who really are spreading the word like the Quran and Hadith told them to. That's the power of faith for you.

I spot a fellow political scientist in the room :P

Nay, anthropologist  :P (Though my roommate in college was a poli sci major).

Nay, anthropologist  :P (Though my roommate in college was a poli sci major).

Don't you deem anthropology a political science? It's pretty bound up in contemporary debates about democracy after all. I.e. Is democracy a western "good" that can be "given" to countries with a democratic deficit, and is that best for these societies?

Or was it right that France and the Netherlands banned the burqa partially to promote women's rights and by doing so imply French and Dutch cultural values are morally superior?

Just speaking hypothetically, of course.

NYT is the only publication which does hard-hitting reporting anymore too.

Not even the Washington Post?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Not even the Washington Post?

Oh hell no. They're as bad as Fox News.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

did your mother drag you to church every day when you were a kid? or were you raped by a priest or something? I'm trying to grasp why you hate religion so much, especially when it doesn't affect you in your own country. whenever religion is brought up on the forum, I can be sure that you'll be there condemning it as a virus or something. just ignore it, it's going away by itself. you're just giving them fuel for their fire of "atheists want to kill us all" and making atheism look bad. 

I wouldn't bother, his personal view of religion has him so enraged he cannot discuss it rationally. 

EDIT: it's also borderline trolling given how much he insults not only forum members but whole cultures with each post.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If I recall, Huffington Post had a thing where they interviewed three female gamergate supporters, not too long after they did the same with Brianna Wu. I gotta say, that's more than most major publications were willing to do, so they earned some measure of respect from me. Even if I don't much care for their content, I think it's disappointing if their UK branch is resorting to online cheap shots, born of uninformed bias. Still, let's be honest, HuffPost's stance on this isn't surprising - they'd much rather err on the side of whomever appears the most socially progressive, even if that social progressiveness is superficial.

did your mother drag you to church every day when you were a kid? or were you raped by a priest or something? I'm trying to grasp why you hate religion so much, especially when it doesn't affect you in your own country. whenever religion is brought up on the forum, I can be sure that you'll be there condemning it as a virus or something. just ignore it, it's going away by itself. you're just giving them fuel for their fire of "atheists want to kill us all" and making atheism look bad. 

I had the luck of not dealing with such issues, but i know and have known several people who have. And every moment millions are subjected to horrible practices and injustices due to religious beliefs.

Doesn't affect my country, but apparently according to you i shouldn't give a fuck of what goes on in the rest of the world, excuse me for having empathy and sympathy for others.

Every day hundreds of thousands of children and young people, if not more, get dragged to church every day or every Sunday, some are forced to faith schools which teach you a view of the world completely grounded in the Bible.

Every day children endure genital mutilation for no reason apart from the religious belief of their parents and society. According to UN estimates, up to 140 million girls and women worldwide are effected by female genital mutilation. With it being most prevalent in Islamic countries. Two Indonesian nationwide studies in 2003 and 2010 found over 80% of Muslim girls are subjected to cutting, typically newborns through the age of 9. More than 90% of adults claimed they wanted the practice to continue.

These are just A COUPLE of examples. I could go on.

At the center of it all, the sheer concept of teaching faith as a virtue and that you shouldn't pursue evidence to back up an idea, is simply horrendous and ends up causing all of these issues.

And you ask me why i'm fucking angry at religion?

That just shows your ignorance and blind sight of all the deplorable shit that goes in to the world and is caused by it. And you think it'll just go away? Fucking tired of ignorant, wishy-washy atheists like you (if you are one), who would rather turn the cheek and look the other way, ignoring the issue and unwilling to tackle it.