Need help with dualboot!

Speedbird

Hi

So I'm trying to set up dualboot with Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint on my laptop. The problem is that it's an EFI machine with a GPT hard drive. I installed Windows, set everything up, then installed Linux. But when I rebooted, it went straight to Windows. No GRUB menu, no prompts, nothing. Currently the only way for me to get to Linux is to press F9 during POST and select the .efi file from the ESP manually. So how can I set it to boot straight from the GRUB .efi file by default? Thanks.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

i don't think it can do that, you always gonna have to chose witch do you want to boot into at start up, i use to do that with two OSs in my old machine, you have to display the Options and chose one 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Have you tried reinstalling Grub 2 from Mint?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Reinstalling_GRUB_2

Try holding down shift when booting to see if the grub menu appears. If the grub menu canot be accessed at all you may need to reinstall grub comletely, but if the Mint installtion is fresh then it might be easier to try reinstalling Mint.

Edit: This may also be helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Hidden

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."