My 7950

Exitium

So yeah, i bought an XFX HD7950 Double Dissipation GPU. I really like the card, games run as smooth as i hoped it would. My problem is, the noise. Idle noise in particular. At idle temps, the fans spin around 1500rpm, as it won't let me put fan speeds under 20%. I've made my fan curves with MSI Afterburner, so that while idle, the fans would spin at 10%. Afterburner monitoring shows that they are spinning at 10% but still at 1500rpm so that won't work. Is it possible to change the limitation in the vBIOS? Does anybody have another idea?

I don t know if it will work or it is what your want but

your gpu has a feature called Zero core. It disable the gpu (power and fan) when not needed (when your screen is off by default)

You could check if when you unplug your monitor and plug it in you integrated gpu the gpu turn off.

I cannot guaranty that either

This is not that useful manually but if it work you could get a kvm to switch between igpu and dgpu when you want silence.

I cannot guaranty that it will work tho.

There is also virtu mvp that could work to disable the gpu when not need (plug the monitor in integrated gpu for it to work)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

this is a known problem with XFX cards.

i have no idea why they are doing that, but they want to keep their cards as cool as possible. maybe with a newer version of afterburner you can set a fan curve that will work.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

this is a known problem with XFX cards. i have no idea why they are doing that' date=' but they want to keep their cards as cool as possible. maybe with a newer version of afterburner you can set a fan curve that will work.[/quote']

Too bad i have the newest version.. Well, i guess I'll try checking the vBIOS myself. In the XFX website, there's a notification that you can download a new vBIOS just for lower fan speeds for 7950, but of course it's for a different model so i can't download it myself