Would like monitor help/recomendations

camw14

Hey guys this is my first post so bear with me.

I am looking to upgrade my 2 year old gateway monitor(1600 x 900) to a 24 in monitor. I am wondering if someone could tell me the difference between TN, IPS and PLS (sorry if i'm forgetting some) panels and which resolution is recommended for different purposes or what not.

Thanks

Hey Camw14, welcome to the forum! This forum is new and using a beta forum version, so bare with us if they are issues, such as being notified about any replies.

Ok well there is a lot to know about monitors, so while they are exceptions on what I am going to say, please keep in mind that it is targeting to simplify things for you, and have a MUCH easier time in finding what you are looking for. Also, everything I am saying is targeted at consumer level products and not professionals.

On the consumer market you have 4 main type of LCD monitor technologies: TN, MVA, IPS, and PVA. IPS is a special group. It has sub categories, but fear not my good man! Because they at the consumer level, they are no differences between them.. it's mostly every manufcature doing their own take to the IPS technology, probably to avoid Patent disputes. The exception is eIPS (or, economy IPS), which are IPS panels but is differentiated from the others. It is targeted at the low end, more affordable, market.

Where is PLS in that? Well, that is a mystery to me and many. After a lot of research I can't see any difference, not even at the sub pixel level of the construct what makes it different than the eIPS panels, while the image output has some hint of improvement and downfalls, like any other IPS panel takes from other manufacture, the core is the same. So, I don't know yet. For now, I am considering the monitor as Samsung version of eIPS panels, as it shares many down falls.

Ok so,

TN

Up's

• Inexpensive
  • Low input lag (mainly due to the lack of color processor, and other components skipped in the design as they are not required due to the panel design)
  • Fast response time
  • 120Hz monitor as an option exists. This is possible due to the fast response time as mention above.
  • Stereoscopic 3D ready option exists in this panel technology for the computer desktop/laptop monitor. This is possible because of the above 2 points.

Down's

• TN panels are targeted mostly at the budget or low end market. So you have the whole package with it: not great dead pixel policy, shorter warranty for most model and brands, lower build quality, and are usually associated with non-adjustable monitor stands.
  • The market TN panel is aimed at is very competitive, so prices are low. There is a nice gap between TN panel and other panel technologies (which are better than TN). Something has to give to achieve such low prices, and it plays aprt form the above point.
  • Due to the panel technology limitation, view angle limited, however the high-end TN panels, does provide decent view angle horizontal, it is however, like any other TN panel, weak vertically.
  • Back light bleeding visible on blacks and affects all colors.
  • Bland colors, or over-saturated one (manufacture tries to compensate for it's weakness).
  • 6-bit panel per channel (red, green and blue). When we refer a monitor as 6-bit, 8-bit or 10-bit, panel, it's always per channel. To know the color amount, you take 2 the power of the bit of the monitor, times itself 3 times. Why 3? Because you have to do it for every channel, so red, green and blue. In other words, for a 6-bit panel: 2^6 * 2^6 * 2^6 = 64 x 64 x 64 = 262 144 colors.Waaaaaaaaait a second. the box of any monitor specifically says 16.7 million colors! What are you talking about CrazyBytes! you say! The way it does to display 16.7 million colors.. (24-bit colors or 8-bit per channel), is that it uses a technology called Frame Rate Control or FRC for short. Unlike what the name might suggests, it works by the monitor taking 2 colors it can produce and switch between them really really fast (up to the response time of the monitor), to imitate the color that it can't produce. This plays a big part onto why TN panels have trouble displaying beautiful colors. The great majority of content, possibly 100% for most people on this forum are in 8-bit colors: games, camera pictures, web content, etc.
  • A TN panel can have poor contrast. Due to the lack of color, and also cheap production process, most TN panels have trouble displaying some very bright or/and very dark colors. For example, a dark gray, might appear as black, and a very light gray might appear as white.
  • Not very sharp compared to other technologies out there. This is due that the pixels liquid that filters the light to give you a color, aren't properly turned edge to edge.
  • High end TN panels, can be more expensive or just as expensive entry level IPS panels (eIPS), which currrently are still better than TN panels

TN panels are the ideal choice for hard core FPS players. As they provide super fast response time, and low input lag, making them perfect for the FPS player extremely fast hyper twitch reflexes. Usually such gamer, as they play competitively, they don't care about colors, and view angles. The monitor has to be fast, first and for most. Hence, why I am not a fan of "gamer approved" or "gamer level" or what not monitors. Then again I am not FPS hardcore player. I do play FPS, but casually for fun. I like to play a great variety of games on my PC.

MVA

Up's

• Inexpensive, but cost more than TN panels

• Produces excellent blacks.

• Fast response time but not as fast as TN panels.

• Sharper than TN panels, but not as good as IPS panels

• No back light bleeding. The monitor is excellent at blocking the back light
    form penetrating through the black pixel.

Down's

• Usually the same price as an equivalent IPS panel.

• View angle limitation is short like TN panels. But instead (like TN panels) of shifting the colors, only the contrast is being affected.

• Colors are equally as bad as TN panels

• 6-bit color panels

This monitor is a great if you can live with a bit slower response time (I don't think there is a 120Hz monitor in MVA... I don't recall, I need to check. But if there is one, its most likely not great), in exchange to better contrast and the really deep and rich blacks.

MVA panel disappeared many years ago, but BenQ is reviving it.

IPS (H-IPS, E-IPS (Enhanced IPS), eIPS (economy IPS), AH-IPS, P-IPS, and PLS etc)

Up's

• All IPS panels are true 8-bit panel for true 16.7 million colors output (16 777 216 colors, to be exact) or MORE, with the exception of eIPS panel and PLS which are all 6-bit panels.

• Produces much better blacks than TN panels, but not as good as MVA or PVA panels

• IPS panels provide fast response time but not as fast a TN, but faster than most MVA panels.
    (IPS panels has come a very long way, really fast in the recent years. People saying that they are slow and have ghosting issue, have no idea how much they got better since ~2007-08 (depending the manufacture of the panel).
    All this without sacrifice.

• Many IPS panels (pretty much all of them except for eIPS panels.. I don't know for PLS) have a color processor and Look Up Table. This, at the end of the day,
    allows the monitor to have much better colors. Also, unless on purpose not implemented, the monitor color options is filled with option. no more being stuck with red, green and blue adjustment. You have now Saturation, Offset, Hue, and even Gain control for each channel and on some monitor even give you deeper control with Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. These adjustments are possible due to the color processor that can alter colors better than a per-defined circuit that monitor without color processor uses.

• Wide view angle (178 degree in ALL angles (including diagonals). This is a great feature, as you can be anywhere in the room (except behind the screen, obviously), and sit the way you want, and you perfetcly see the screen without constantly adjusting the monitor to get the perfect view angle. Also, bigger the monitor, the more annoying TN short view angle will get you. Hence why all LCD TVs (except the garbage no name crap) are all MVA, or IPS panels.

• Sharp pixels, so text is very easy to read
    , and pictures appears better.

• Most IPS monitors (well except eIPS) aren't aimed at budget market, so you usually get a good to really good build quality, with a good back light
    providing, non glossy, and fully adjustable stand for most models. Oh and longer warranty and better warranty, like no dead pixel zones or distance crap excuses to not cover you, and stuff like 0 bright pixel policy. You truly get what you are paying for.

• Non glossy panels as well. Non-glossy panel cost more to produce, as a special film needs to be applied to reduce reflection all by not having a blurry image. Moreover, the backlight technology needs to be adapted to ensure a sharp image output.

Down's

• More expensive

• Not as fast as TN panel

• Due to the color processor, is has more input lag than MVA and TN panels. As you have a processor that processes every frame. The input lag isn't huge. The color processor there days are quiet fast. The monitor has at worst about 30ms input lag.
    This is impossible to see. But, I must mention it, because apparently, it's visible to hard core FPS players. To be honest I don't know any gamer that actually sees this. And 30ms is on the worst case. Also usually these monitors also feature a "game" or "movie" mode, which turns off the color processor and by-pass it to reduce input lag.

• Some monitor that can display 1.07 billion colors (1 073 741 824 colors), so 10-bit colors, but has a 8-bit panel, uses a variation of FRC (Frame Rate Control) called A-FRC or Advance frame Rate control. This is the same technology as FRC, but it uses the color processor and Look UP Table to find better matching colors. Long time ago, there was a Dell monitor using an eIPS, 6-bit panel and had a color processor and 8-bit Look UP Table. The colors were so good, that ALL review sites believed it was a 8-bit panel, until the LG panel specification got released and said it was 8-bit. This monitor has been discontinued long time ago.

• IPS panels shows a glaring light (like a back light bleeding), when looking at angles on full screen black. This effect is more visible on large monitors (27inch+). However, the glaring effect doesn't affect colors, and not visible under a normal computer usage, not even with a wide screen movie where you have large black bars at the top and bottom. As you need to be a specific situation to see it the most and affect your experience, it's usually not an issue for most. Some people prefer to go with a PVA or MVA panels to avoid this problem, especial those who work with dark images often.
    There is a fix for this issue, which involved polarizing the panel grid. However, this very costly process is only found on professional grade monitors, as again, most people will not see it.
    Anti-glare panels shows this effect more, than glossy panels, though.
    But it must be noted that it is still visible on glossy panel, just a bit less.

This is currently the panel of choice for those seeking a monitor that will provide rich visuals, and will boost their gaming experience by really displaying, in a way, the hard work of the graphic artists that went for the game, and picture just "pop's". Some people call getting a high-end consumer monitor a curse, as once you go up, you can never go down to lower end one. And you don't need to be a professional of any sorts in getting such monitor. Not at all. Again professional seek professional grade monitor with polarized grids, uniform backlight, programmable Look Up Table with their color calibrator, with a focus on color accuracy over speed color processors and panels, etc.

Finally,

PVA

Up's

• Superb blacks. You can even say: "ink" like blacks

• Polarized PVA panels, provides incredible blacks even on angles.

• Best at color reproduction (assuming that the monitor is properly calibrated)

Down's

• Most expensive technology panel there is.

• Slowest response time by a nice margin

• Highest input lag for most models due to the color processor used that really focused on displaying colors properly based on user calibrations

This monitor technology is only found on select professional monitor. It is starting to disappear in favor of professional grade IPS panels, providing a more multipurpose monitor, and IPS panels found on professional grade monitors are very close to be just as good. Now, they are still PVA panels for those who really wants them, but only select models.

Finally it comes down to which back light technology to pick. You have 4 back light technologies on the market today: White LED (W-LED), CFLs, GB-LED, and RGB-LED.

Like anything in life you have high-end and low ends, but because I want this post for today I'll group stuff up.

W-LED (white LED)

• Most inexpensive technology, hence why it is mostly used on the low end mark of monitors. So its very popular with TN panels, PLS and eIPS panels.
  • White LED's actually don't exists... well not on the consumer market at least. Maybe in a lab somewhere, but not on the monitor market. The light is actually a light blue colors. This affects everything. Whites appears cold white, and you see a hint of blue on every colors, mostly visible on grays. Higher end with White LEDs uses a white phosphor coating over the LED's to try adjust the color to a more white, white. But it is not as good as the other technologies.
  • They are being marketed as: Green.
  • Consume the least amount of power, making ideal for all-in-one computers, laptops, and tablets. Basically anything compact, where heat is an issue.
  • No warm up time
  • LEDs are placed at the bottom of the panel and uses a diffuser set of films and not directly behind the panel, which boost contrast.

CFL

• Reputation got destroyed by the cheap CFLs which output a very yellow white color, and excessively long warm up time.

• High-grade CFL outputs a truly excellent white, and have non-visible warm up time, and start with near full brightness as soon as you turn on the monitor.

• They are placed directly behind the panel, which doesn't provide the same contrast as the other back light technologies.

• Consumes more power, and create more heat than other back light technologies

RGB-LED
(red, green, blue LED)

• The closest to "pure" red, green, and blue LED's are used, and put very very close together to output a white light. Some monitors even have options on the monitor panel which allows you to control the intensive of each set of color LED to adjust the white color.

• Sounds expensive? It is! It is very expensive for that mater.

GB-LED
(green, blue LED)

• The closest to green, and blue LED's are used, and put very very close together, and has red phosphor layer on them to output a white light.

• This is a newer backlight technology, and the first time we see "RGB-LED like" technology on the high-end consumer market. However, none offer color fine tuning of the back light.

• Like white LED's, they are positioned at the bottom of the panel and a light diffuser set of films are used to illuminate the entire screen

• Based on reviews, it does deliver stunning white like high grade CFLs, but without the heat and power consumption.

Well I hope that helps you understand the different panel technologies and back light.

Ok thanks man i found a bunch of good info there

Post updated. Check it out! I think it will be more useful than the rest you read.

Hey Camw14, welcome to the forum! This forum is new and using a beta forum version, so bare with us if they are issues, such as being notified about any replies.

Ok well there is a lot to know about monitors, so while they are exceptions on what I am going to say, please keep in mind that it is targeting to simplify things for you, and have a MUCH easier time in finding what you are looking for. Also, everything I am saying is targeted at consumer level products and not professionals.

On the consumer market you have 4 main type of LCD monitor technologies: TN, MVA, IPS, and PVA. IPS is a special group. It has sub categories, but fear not my good man! Because they at the consumer level, they are no differences between them.. it's mostly every manufcature doing their own take to the IPS technology, probably to avoid Patent disputes. The exception is eIPS (or, economy IPS), which are IPS panels but is differentiated from the others. It is targeted at the low end, more affordable, market.

Where is PLS in that? Well, that is a mystery to me and many. After a lot of research I can't see any difference, not even at the sub pixel level of the construct what makes it different than the eIPS panels, while the image output has some hint of improvement and downfalls, like any other IPS panel takes from other manufacture, the core is the same. So, I don't know yet. For now, I am considering the monitor as Samsung version of eIPS panels, as it shares many down falls.

Ok so,

TN

Up's

• Inexpensive
  • Low input lag (mainly due to the lack of color processor, and other components skipped in the design as they are not required due to the panel design)
  • Fast response time
  • 120Hz monitor as an option exists. This is possible due to the fast response time as mention above.
  • Stereoscopic 3D ready option exists in this panel technology for the computer desktop/laptop monitor. This is possible because of the above 2 points.

Down's

• TN panels are targeted mostly at the budget or low end market. So you have the whole package with it: not great dead pixel policy, shorter warranty for most model and brands, lower build quality, and are usually associated with non-adjustable monitor stands.
  • The market TN panel is aimed at is very competitive, so prices are low. There is a nice gap between TN panel and other panel technologies (which are better than TN). Something has to give to achieve such low prices, and it plays aprt form the above point.
  • Due to the panel technology limitation, view angle limited, however the high-end TN panels, does provide decent view angle horizontal, it is however, like any other TN panel, weak vertically.
  • Back light bleeding visible on blacks and affects all colors.
  • Bland colors, or over-saturated one (manufacture tries to compensate for it's weakness).
  • 6-bit panel per channel (red, green and blue). When we refer a monitor as 6-bit, 8-bit or 10-bit, panel, it's always per channel. To know the color amount, you take 2 the power of the bit of the monitor, times itself 3 times. Why 3? Because you have to do it for every channel, so red, green and blue. In other words, for a 6-bit panel: 2^6 * 2^6 * 2^6 = 64 x 64 x 64 = 262 144 colors.Waaaaaaaaait a second. the box of any monitor specifically says 16.7 million colors! What are you talking about CrazyBytes! you say! The way it does to display 16.7 million colors.. (24-bit colors or 8-bit per channel), is that it uses a technology called Frame Rate Control or FRC for short. Unlike what the name might suggests, it works by the monitor taking 2 colors it can produce and switch between them really really fast (up to the response time of the monitor), to imitate the color that it can't produce. This plays a big part onto why TN panels have trouble displaying beautiful colors. The great majority of content, possibly 100% for most people on this forum are in 8-bit colors: games, camera pictures, web content, etc.
  • A TN panel can have poor contrast. Due to the lack of color, and also cheap production process, most TN panels have trouble displaying some very bright or/and very dark colors. For example, a dark gray, might appear as black, and a very light gray might appear as white.
  • Not very sharp compared to other technologies out there. This is due that the pixels liquid that filters the light to give you a color, aren't properly turned edge to edge.
  • High end TN panels, can be more expensive or just as expensive entry level IPS panels (eIPS), which currrently are still better than TN panels

TN panels are the ideal choice for hard core FPS players. As they provide super fast response time, and low input lag, making them perfect for the FPS player extremely fast hyper twitch reflexes. Usually such gamer, as they play competitively, they don't care about colors, and view angles. The monitor has to be fast, first and for most. Hence, why I am not a fan of "gamer approved" or "gamer level" or what not monitors. Then again I am not FPS hardcore player. I do play FPS, but casually for fun. I like to play a great variety of games on my PC.

MVA

Up's

• Inexpensive, but cost more than TN panels

• Produces excellent blacks.

• Fast response time but not as fast as TN panels.

• Sharper than TN panels, but not as good as IPS panels

• No back light bleeding. The monitor is excellent at blocking the back light
    form penetrating through the black pixel.

Down's

• Usually the same price as an equivalent IPS panel.

• View angle limitation is short like TN panels. But instead (like TN panels) of shifting the colors, only the contrast is being affected.

• Colors are equally as bad as TN panels

• 6-bit color panels

This monitor is a great if you can live with a bit slower response time (I don't think there is a 120Hz monitor in MVA... I don't recall, I need to check. But if there is one, its most likely not great), in exchange to better contrast and the really deep and rich blacks.

MVA panel disappeared many years ago, but BenQ is reviving it.

IPS (H-IPS, E-IPS (Enhanced IPS), eIPS (economy IPS), AH-IPS, P-IPS, and PLS etc)

Up's

• All IPS panels are true 8-bit panel for true 16.7 million colors output (16 777 216 colors, to be exact) or MORE, with the exception of eIPS panel and PLS which are all 6-bit panels.

• Produces much better blacks than TN panels, but not as good as MVA or PVA panels

• IPS panels provide fast response time but not as fast a TN, but faster than most MVA panels.
    (IPS panels has come a very long way, really fast in the recent years. People saying that they are slow and have ghosting issue, have no idea how much they got better since ~2007-08 (depending the manufacture of the panel).
    All this without sacrifice.

• Many IPS panels (pretty much all of them except for eIPS panels.. I don't know for PLS) have a color processor and Look Up Table. This, at the end of the day,
    allows the monitor to have much better colors. Also, unless on purpose not implemented, the monitor color options is filled with option. no more being stuck with red, green and blue adjustment. You have now Saturation, Offset, Hue, and even Gain control for each channel and on some monitor even give you deeper control with Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. These adjustments are possible due to the color processor that can alter colors better than a per-defined circuit that monitor without color processor uses.

• Wide view angle (178 degree in ALL angles (including diagonals). This is a great feature, as you can be anywhere in the room (except behind the screen, obviously), and sit the way you want, and you perfetcly see the screen without constantly adjusting the monitor to get the perfect view angle. Also, bigger the monitor, the more annoying TN short view angle will get you. Hence why all LCD TVs (except the garbage no name crap) are all MVA, or IPS panels.

• Sharp pixels, so text is very easy to read
    , and pictures appears better.

• Most IPS monitors (well except eIPS) aren't aimed at budget market, so you usually get a good to really good build quality, with a good back light
    providing, non glossy, and fully adjustable stand for most models. Oh and longer warranty and better warranty, like no dead pixel zones or distance crap excuses to not cover you, and stuff like 0 bright pixel policy. You truly get what you are paying for.

• Non glossy panels as well. Non-glossy panel cost more to produce, as a special film needs to be applied to reduce reflection all by not having a blurry image. Moreover, the backlight technology needs to be adapted to ensure a sharp image output.

Down's

• More expensive

• Not as fast as TN panel

• Due to the color processor, is has more input lag than MVA and TN panels. As you have a processor that processes every frame. The input lag isn't huge. The color processor there days are quiet fast. The monitor has at worst about 30ms input lag.
    This is impossible to see. But, I must mention it, because apparently, it's visible to hard core FPS players. To be honest I don't know any gamer that actually sees this. And 30ms is on the worst case. Also usually these monitors also feature a "game" or "movie" mode, which turns off the color processor and by-pass it to reduce input lag.

• Some monitor that can display 1.07 billion colors (1 073 741 824 colors), so 10-bit colors, but has a 8-bit panel, uses a variation of FRC (Frame Rate Control) called A-FRC or Advance frame Rate control. This is the same technology as FRC, but it uses the color processor and Look UP Table to find better matching colors. Long time ago, there was a Dell monitor using an eIPS, 6-bit panel and had a color processor and 8-bit Look UP Table. The colors were so good, that ALL review sites believed it was a 8-bit panel, until the LG panel specification got released and said it was 8-bit. This monitor has been discontinued long time ago.

• IPS panels shows a glaring light (like a back light bleeding), when looking at angles on full screen black. This effect is more visible on large monitors (27inch+). However, the glaring effect doesn't affect colors, and not visible under a normal computer usage, not even with a wide screen movie where you have large black bars at the top and bottom. As you need to be a specific situation to see it the most and affect your experience, it's usually not an issue for most. Some people prefer to go with a PVA or MVA panels to avoid this problem, especial those who work with dark images often.
    There is a fix for this issue, which involved polarizing the panel grid. However, this very costly process is only found on professional grade monitors, as again, most people will not see it.
    Anti-glare panels shows this effect more, than glossy panels, though.
    But it must be noted that it is still visible on glossy panel, just a bit less.

This is currently the panel of choice for those seeking a monitor that will provide rich visuals, and will boost their gaming experience by really displaying, in a way, the hard work of the graphic artists that went for the game, and picture just "pop's". Some people call getting a high-end consumer monitor a curse, as once you go up, you can never go down to lower end one. And you don't need to be a professional of any sorts in getting such monitor. Not at all. Again professional seek professional grade monitor with polarized grids, uniform backlight, programmable Look Up Table with their color calibrator, with a focus on color accuracy over speed color processors and panels, etc.

Finally,

PVA

Up's

• Superb blacks. You can even say: "ink" like blacks

• Polarized PVA panels, provides incredible blacks even on angles.

• Best at color reproduction (assuming that the monitor is properly calibrated)

Down's

• Most expensive technology panel there is.

• Slowest response time by a nice margin

• Highest input lag for most models due to the color processor used that really focused on displaying colors properly based on user calibrations

This monitor technology is only found on select professional monitor. It is starting to disappear in favor of professional grade IPS panels, providing a more multipurpose monitor, and IPS panels found on professional grade monitors are very close to be just as good. Now, they are still PVA panels for those who really wants them, but only select models.

Finally it comes down to which back light technology to pick. You have 4 back light technologies on the market today: White LED (W-LED), CFLs, GB-LED, and RGB-LED.

Like anything in life you have high-end and low ends, but because I want this post for today I'll group stuff up.

W-LED (white LED)

• Most inexpensive technology, hence why it is mostly used on the low end mark of monitors. So its very popular with TN panels, PLS and eIPS panels.
  • White LED's actually don't exists... well not on the consumer market at least. Maybe in a lab somewhere, but not on the monitor market. The light is actually a light blue colors. This affects everything. Whites appears cold white, and you see a hint of blue on every colors, mostly visible on grays. Higher end with White LEDs uses a white phosphor coating over the LED's to try adjust the color to a more white, white. But it is not as good as the other technologies.
  • They are being marketed as: Green.
  • Consume the least amount of power, making ideal for all-in-one computers, laptops, and tablets. Basically anything compact, where heat is an issue.
  • No warm up time
  • LEDs are placed at the bottom of the panel and uses a diffuser set of films and not directly behind the panel, which boost contrast.

CFL

• Reputation got destroyed by the cheap CFLs which output a very yellow white color, and excessively long warm up time.

• High-grade CFL outputs a truly excellent white, and have non-visible warm up time, and start with near full brightness as soon as you turn on the monitor.

• They are placed directly behind the panel, which doesn't provide the same contrast as the other back light technologies.

• Consumes more power, and create more heat than other back light technologies

RGB-LED
(red, green, blue LED)

• The closest to "pure" red, green, and blue LED's are used, and put very very close together to output a white light. Some monitors even have options on the monitor panel which allows you to control the intensive of each set of color LED to adjust the white color.

• Sounds expensive? It is! It is very expensive for that mater.

GB-LED
(green, blue LED)

• The closest to green, and blue LED's are used, and put very very close together, and has red phosphor layer on them to output a white light.

• This is a newer backlight technology, and the first time we see "RGB-LED like" technology on the high-end consumer market. However, none offer color fine tuning of the back light.

• Like white LED's, they are positioned at the bottom of the panel and a light diffuser set of films are used to illuminate the entire screen

• Based on reviews, it does deliver stunning white like high grade CFLs, but without the heat and power consumption.

Well I hope that helps you understand the different panel technologies and back light.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that it really explained a lot :-)