CPU Stuck to Heatsink

Crowes

I just replaced my CPU, and my old one is going to be sold.

During the removal process of the old one, the CPU came out at the same time and luckily all pins are fine. Still, it seems like there's no loosening the CPU from It's heatsink (most likely due to the thermal compound).

Any advice?

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Heat up the thermal paste?

or be very careful and try popping it off with a flat head screw driver. ( I had to do this once with an old PC I had laying around )

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

use a dropper and alcohol 

CPU:AMD FX-8320, RAM:Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600, GPU:MSI Radeon R9 280, Case:Cooler Master 690 III, PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W

Storage:WD Purple 1TB, CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO, Keyboard:SCI Granite, OS:win 8.1 64bit, Display:Samsung SyncMaster SA100, Mouse:CM Storm Spawn

What thermal paste did you use? You could use some rubbing alcohol and try gently twisting it.

What thermal paste did you use?

No idea, but there's a good chance it's stock (already on the heatsink from retail).

It was from a boutique builder, so I wouldn't know either if it was [as above] or wasn't.

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Most of the time you should get it loose with a twist.

Just be carefull not to bend any pins. (if it has some)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Had a go at twisting it. Nothing. It's as if it was welded to the heatsink.

As for rubbing alcohol, how am I supposed to get it in between the CPU and heatsink if they're stuck together?

Had a go at twisting it. Nothing. It's as if it was welded to the heatsink.

As for rubbing alcohol, how am I supposed to get it in between the CPU and heatsink if they're stuck together?

Let the alcohol worry about that, it would also help if you could heat the heatsink up.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Hi,

The solvent (IPA / rubbing alcohol) can penetrate a bit via capillary action.

As folk have said above usually a little twisting action is all that is needed.

I have had success with using the PC for a bit to heat the area safely rather than trying to use a heat gun (please don't try that) then give it another go.

Failing this you could use a plastic spudger (yes that is a real thing) and try and insert it between the heat spreader and the heat sink. Do not pry here against the PCB we are not trying to remove the heat spreader from the CPU die.

Regards

Ed

Alright.

Step 1) Rub Alcohol somewhere

Step 2) Twist

Step 3) Vuala

What am I missing?

Set it on its side, apply the alcohol to the top, the edge where the cpu mets the heatsink. let gravity and time do the rest.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

use a hairdryer, put on a glove with the hand you hold the heatsink.

Only  heat up the heatsink. You should be able to twist the cpu and remove.

Good luck.