Nvidia says Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are great news for gaming PCs

Is everyone forgetting both consoles have cloud computing so when we do need power for things like 4k they just throw more processing power threw the cloud and problem solved.

Wrong, 

1) even if somehow that was possible the lag would be so bad you wouldn't want to play it . 

2) Their 4k potential is hardware limited on even the most basic levels. For instance, as far as we know it will include HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4k at 30hz)

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Is everyone forgetting both consoles have cloud computing so when we do need power for things like 4k they just throw more processing power threw the cloud and problem solved.

And another problem of lag thrown in, unless they come up with a miracle to make people not lag when doing this.

Also people without an internet connection, well.....screw you then?

What about people with caps on there ISP's...screw them as-well? because this would eat alot of bandwidth up.

They can't do 4k as far as I'm aware, all they have is the ability to stream it which isn't exactly very good is it?1

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

And another problem of lag thrown in, unless they come up with a miracle to make people not lag when doing this.

Well in all honesty if you don't have a GREAT internet connection with your 4k set you are going to be hard pressed to do anything but game on it. Media content for 4k is HUGE, like so big probably wont fit on a physical media other than flash drives, nor would you want to keep it on a HD. So yeah your going to want to be able to stream that. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

I hope they up the player count for Battlefield 4 for pc and bring consoles up to 64. But I still want PC to have more players than console. 

BF already supports 64 players, how many more do you want?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What about people with caps on there ISP's...screw them as-well? because this would eat alot of bandwidth up.

They can't do 4k as far as I'm aware, all they have is the ability to stream it which isn't exactly very good is it?1

well if u dont have internet u cant play the one anyway and by the time we can stream 4k we will have fibre with unlimted caps when australia gets fibre everywhere everyone will have fastenough internet and unlimited caps and thats not far away so

Cloud gaming is still waaay into the future. OnLive was a nice attempt, but doubt it took off that well. Internet connections are nowhere good enough for anything cloud-based (storage, gaming, etc). It desperately needs not only the download speeds, but symmetric uploads, something which very few ISPs provide at an affordable price. And also unlimited usage. Google Fiber is a step in the right direction. 

It's good that consoles are now up to par with PCs. For the time being, a PS4 is better value over a standard gaming PC. That said, considering current hardware is already outperforming the consoles, it won't be long before PC hardware becomes cheap enough that $400 will outperform the PS4. The PS4/XB1 hardware will give developers a lot more freedom in how they use the resources available. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's good that consoles are now up to par with PCs. For the time being, a PS4 is better value over a standard gaming PC. That said, considering current hardware is already outperforming the consoles, it won't be long before PC hardware becomes cheap enough that $400 will outperform the PS4. The PS4/XB1 hardware will give developers a lot more freedom in how they use the resources available. 

Couldn't agree more, for instance your new to a desktop. Well your $400 dollar budget just became $300 for your Microsoft tax. 

It wasnt just hardware holding back the last generation ports, it was completely different architectures as well. This time around the architectures are practically the same.. this means that they can focus more on optimizations and anything else without it being too much of a hassle.

Better consoles->better graphics in games->more people upgrading their graphics card->nvidia win

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I hope that they develop it for PC first and then port it to the console but thats probably not going to happen.

You realize the consoles next generation (PS4/XB1) are based on the same architecture that PC's are based on, right? (x86)

This means when developing them for consoles, they are already *partially* developed for PC and thereby should be much easier and more efficient (i.e. cost less) to port to PC. Not to mention being better optimized for PC as well.

The reason I say partially is because the set ups that are going on in the PS4/XB1 are different than the ones in normal gaming PC's. A few things would likely have to be changed, but not the same amount that having completely different architecture (like the PS3 has) would require.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't think the majority of the UK even has the bandwidth to have games rendered over the cloud.

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

I'm not saying we will have cloud computing tomorrow but Microsoft has already said the one will do partial cloud computing and by the time 4k is the standard like 1080p we should be close to complete cloud computing

I don't think the majority of the UK even has the bandwidth to have games rendered over the cloud.

I would agree with you about the US (large country, crappy infrastructure), but the UK (small country, good infrastructure)?

If you can stream 720p in real-time (without buffering), you can stream games since that's basically all it would be (from my understanding of it at least). I can stream 1080p with a 375KB/s download speed (barely), so I think 720p should be easy.

@JAKEBAB,

While 1080p is easy to stream, I completely doubt the infrastructure for even modern countries could handle streaming 4K. That's at least 1.25 MB/s download speeds (at the VERY least) which is 10 Mb/s which I can't have where I live (Texas).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would agree with you about the US (large country, crappy infrastructure), but the UK (small country, good infrastructure)?

If you can stream 720p in real-time (without buffering), you can stream games since that's basically all it would be (from my understanding of it at least). I can stream 1080p with a 375KB/s download speed (barely), so I think 720p should be easy.

I think usage limits are more of a concern than speeds. Unlimited usage is still kinda iffy in most places. In Canada, only a handful of lesser known ISPs provide unlimited; most are in the 100-200GB range.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I think usage limits are more of a concern than speeds. Unlimited usage is still kinda iffy in most places. In Canada, only a handful of lesser known ISPs provide unlimited; most are in the 100-200GB range.

That is a valid concern I hadn't considered. My internet here is uncapped (and I refuse to move to an ISP that has data caps as I see no reason for them to exist), so I only think of that as I haven't had to deal with them.

That could get ugly real fast.

† Christian Member †

The UK has a good infrastructure in England and only in the main parts of Scotland but towns in the north have still got 8mb adsl which is probably not going to be upgraded anytime soon

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

Too many people have crystall balls (lol) in this topic. 

Lol jk, but i want to point out that we wont be (presumably) rocking polygons for much longer.

Euclideon company with their "Unlimited Detail" tech, had allready started working on SDK for games ( they havent made official announcement yet tho). It will be coming for consoles too. 

Most probably will first games come in 2 years time, probably at first just static environment with Unlimited detail tech and other polygons and then full scale. Who knows, but its possible.

So we will probably need GPUs only for physics, lightening, shading and stuff.

guys with a 5mb/s connection you would be able to stream games. When game streaming all your are doing is playing an interactive video 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

The UK has a good infrastructure in England and only in the main parts of Scotland but towns in the north have still got 8mb adsl which is probably not going to be upgraded anytime soon

True, but that's more than enough to handle streaming 1080p with commands. (only 1 though and with no other network traffic)

guys with a 5mb/s connection you would be able to stream games. When game streaming all your are doing is playing an interactive video 

This basically^

† Christian Member †

x86 means that publishers will now make PC games, then port to the other consoles, meaning we don't have shitty ports like AC3 and Farcry 3's DX11 and MSAA glitching
Ubisoft that they will do this process from now on

x86 means that publishers will now make PC games, then port to the other consoles, meaning we don't have shitty ports like AC3 and Farcry 3's DX11 and MSAA glitching

Ubisoft that they will do this process from now on

Exactly this.

Basically, Tetsuya Nomura (Head developer for Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3) said that those games use DirectX 11 and can be put on any system that utilizes that. That's just a fancy way to say "PC's and any console that uses it". 

Those games on PC would be weird imo (though PC's need more JPRG's. Badly), but that's just to show proof that the games for the new consoles are indeed based on PC (as if the architecture wasn't enough).

It's not really that they are making the games for PC then porting to Consoles. It's more like they are making the games, and they happen to be made for both PC and console at the same time because the differences are almost non-existent now beyond special hardware (which they optimize for of course, which can't be done for a PC).

This makes me wonder though, does that mean every single game that was made this way will be AMD optimized by default?

† Christian Member †

This makes me wonder though, does that mean every single game that was made this way will be AMD optimized by default?

Extremely likely, yes. Considering both consoles are running AMD APUs and even some PC games (like Battlefield 4) will be optimized for AMD. It'll probably still manage reasonably well on Intel/Nvidia though.

Extremely likely, yes. Considering both consoles are running AMD APUs and even some PC games (like Battlefield 4) will be optimized for AMD. It'll probably still manage reasonably well on Intel/Nvidia though.

Yes, but not everyone who bothers to read reviews will know that unless it's mentioned.

This means games coming out in the near future (for the next few years) that are ports will do above average (or whatever average would've been if they weren't optimized) on AMD GPU's making them look better than they actually may be (for games in general vs games optimized for AMD). That's assuming reviewers use those games, which they might (but likely won't).

Just a thought.

† Christian Member †

True, but that's more than enough to handle streaming 1080p with commands. (only 1 though and with no other network traffic)

This basically^

Meanwhile in the 240p land of my house 2771536471.png