Nvidia says Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are great news for gaming PCs

Yeah it's definitely a good thing for graphics and optimization. The problem is that last gen consoles had similar power to gaming PCs at the time, this time they don't and their life cycle is expected to be longer so in ~10 years time, when the next consoles are about to be released, the difference will be >20x from the highest end GPU and people would be able to play games at console graphics on maindtream laptop gpus, and that's before considering cloud gaming.

10 years lifetime. Oh, man. That's a long time before we see another improvement in gaming graphics for the PC. Considering that the PS3/XBox did have a 7yr. lifetime.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

10 years lifetime. Oh, man. That's a long time before we see another improvement in gaming graphics for the PC. Considering that the PS3/XBox did have a 7yr. lifetime.

I honestly believe this is the last "gaming console" if its life cycle is more than 4 years old. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

I honestly believe this is the last "gaming console" if its life cycle is more than 4 years old. 

Let me "second" this post.  Let's not forget that it's likely that tablets and phones will be as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One at some point before the end of the next console life cycle.

The new "console" in the next 5 years:  come home, toss your phone on the table, pick up a wireless gamepad, and play wirelessly from the phone to the TV.

Let me "second" this post.  Let's not forget that it's likely that tablets and phones will be as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One at some point before the end of the next console life cycle.

The new "console" in the next 5 years:  come home, toss your phone on the table, pick up a wireless gamepad, and play wirelessly from the phone to the TV.

Not to say any of the big names are doomed or anything like that, however I do see a 1-2 box living room future which I suppose is what Microsoft was trying to do, but Microsoft got in the way of themselves. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

If nVidia has their way it will be mobile phones/tablets which make consoles obsolete...

You're forgetting how much money can be made by hardware manufacturers dragging their feet.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I third this... You know how Linus preaches and warns us about cloud gaming? In about 15 years... This will happen, it's going to suck majorly but.. eh before this turns into another topic I'll stop there.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

One of the things Nvidia is trying to get across is that the Floor (not the ceiling) level of power needed has just risen dramatically. (I would venture to say that the One and 4 have more horsepower than a fair amount of the computers people play games on.)  On top of that for the time being as a developer on x86 why would you not want to try and push to consoles if development time isn't greatly effected. 

Shown here by this nifty little graph

2013-06-11_06-02-25-1020_large_verge_med

Look how even they were in 2005, so the PC was LOWER than the console at the time of its release and the gap grew. It's already 2.5x higher at release now, that is HUGE. It will likely be 20x higher in 8 years.

Where do you guys suppose the new consoles sit vs. a discrete graphics card? Around the power of an HD 7770?

660TI 7870/7850

I third this... You know how Linus preaches and warns us about cloud gaming? In about 15 years... This will happen, it's going to suck majorly but.. eh before this turns into another topic I'll stop there.

If the whole world revolves around cloud, privacy gets destroyed for one. Not only that, but what about that itty bitty chance of our Internet connection going out? We're done for until it goes back up. Even in 15 years.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I hope they up the player count for Battlefield 4 for pc and bring consoles up to 64. But I still want PC to have more players than console. 

That wont happen too many people think pc's are too complicated or a waste of money while they have an xbox and a playstion with 5$ subscriptions to both. I will never understand the human race

That wont happen too many people think pc's are too complicated or a waste of money while they have an xbox and a playstion with 5$ subscriptions to both. I will never understand the human race

Though with Geforce Experience, the "complication" is starting to change. Also with GPU Boost 2.0, the average joe doesn't have to worry about overclocking, as the card will OC itself until it hits a certain temperature/noise threshold.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Though with Geforce Experience, the "complication" is starting to change. Also with GPU Boost 2.0, the average joe doesn't have to worry about overclocking, as the card will OC itself until it hits a certain temperature/noise threshold.

Yes but i think people will still throw away money at a monthly subscription and complain that computers are too expensive. I see it everyday

If Planetside 2 is coming to the PS4 there is either going to be a dramatically lower player count or there is going to be some crazy optimization going on. I hope it;s the optimization though so PC gets better performance as well. I would really like to be able to play the game at 60FPS in a huge battle with other 300 people attacking an outpost or a Bio Lab. Because at the moment the game will run that sort of situation at 25-35FPS on any system as it is CPU bound. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If Planetside 2 is coming to the PS4 there is either going to be a dramatically lower player count or there is going to be some crazy optimization going on. I hope it;s the optimization though so PC gets better performance as well. I would really like to be able to play the game at 60FPS in a huge battle with other 300 people attacking an outpost or a Bio Lab. Because at the moment the game will run that sort of situation at 25-35FPS on any system as it is CPU bound. 

MOAR COREZ!!!

MOAR COREZ!!!

More overall power. Not necessarily cores.

better optimization = win

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

More overall power. Not necessarily cores.

All caps plus bad spelling = sarcasm, 

their optimization is shit and has been since day one. 

I'm confused. You're making it sound like in two years, consoles will do better than PC.

He meant that in 2 years pc will be so much better than consoles and will will end up with crap games like we have now...

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

He meant that in 2 years pc will be so much better than consoles and will will end up with crap games like we have now...

I dunno we are about to hit another generation gap where if game makers want to make absolutely the best looking games possible they will want it on 4k, and consoles are damn sure not going to be pushing that. Previous generation consoles fell into a reasonably safe new 1080p market.

I always thought that new consoles are good because they push graphics performance forward. i want to see a game the Only a titan can handle and that uses it to its full potential, imagine what that would look like.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I always thought that new consoles are good because they push graphics performance forward. i want to see a game the Only a titan can handle and that uses it to its full potential, imagine what that would look like.

That' s years out. 

Is everyone forgetting both consoles have cloud computing so when we do need power for things like 4k they just throw more processing power threw the cloud and problem solved.

Is everyone forgetting both consoles have cloud computing so when we do need power for things like 4k they just throw more processing power threw the cloud and problem solved.

Wrong, 

1) even if somehow that was possible the lag would be so bad you wouldn't want to play it . 

2) Their 4k potential is hardware limited on even the most basic levels. For instance, as far as we know it will include HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4k at 30hz)