"What key switch should I get?" - Look here!

i don't really control myself when hitting a key, nor do i want to :P

i just slam it and i stop when the key stops, it's not so much about

the force as it is the sheer distance before the key stops.

really stiffens up my fingers when typing on these red keys.. 

i thought the red to blue force was almost negligible,

but i guess the difference might might feel bigger than

it factually is.

If you want the largest amount of force required join the CHERRYMXGREENMASTERRACE.

They feel perfect for me. I kinda smash my keys harder than I realistically should and hitting light keys makes me make typos. My pinkey finger will smash the Caps Lock sometimes cuz my fingers are so heavy and it gets annoying. Greens are a little harder to find as Cooler Master, CODE, and Ducky are the only companies that sell them it seems.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

snip

Totally irrelevent, but may I ask why you hate the FX-8320? It's a decent CPU for the right person.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Totally irrelevent, but may I ask why you hate the FX-8320? It's a decent CPU for the right person.

you know you coulda sent a pm instead......

I said quiet but it gave me blue. Blues are not that quiet

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I got clear , sound about right , but its almost impossible to get a cherry mx clear keyboard so i'll have to settle with browns

Can you outline which options you chose on each question? Lots of people have told me that they got Blues and chose all the quiet options.

Nah, sorry. I've misread one of the answers.

Retook the quiz and it gone "MX Clears"

@STRMfrmXMN

I seem to be getting blues almost no matter what i choose,

as long as i choose something tactile related, it doesn't

seem to account for all the "quiet" options i chose earlier.

i choose quiet+tactile medium force and expected to get browns, 

but i still got blues, maybe incorporating some midway option,

some noise that leads to browns? possibly including

a "switch" + "rubber o-ring?" combo to make it abit

more sophisticated.

Just now i wanted tactile but i got red switches, something

seems abit off.

@STRMfrmXMN

I seem to be getting blues almost no matter what i choose,

as long as i choose something tactile related, it doesn't

seem to account for all the "quiet" options i chose earlier.

i choose quiet+tactile medium force and expected to get browns, 

but i still got blues, maybe incorporating some midway option,

some noise that leads to browns? possibly including

a "switch" + "rubber o-ring?" combo to make it abit

more sophisticated.

Just now i wanted tactile but i got red switches, something

seems abit off.

Browns are a very light switch. I put those under Quiet + Tactile + Light amount of force. A lot of people have a different judgement of what is heavy or light so there's some blurry line between the two I have to find. But Browns are the lightest tactile switch so I put those under a "light amount of force."

Also, don't necessarily expect a result from clicking on certain things as that can make your result a bit skewed. When you click on tactile options for some and quiet options for others, the quiz isn't smart enough to deduce that you want Browns as each answer has one keyswitch tied to it. It doesn't do this sort of weird math. There are 4 tactile switches - Browns, Blues, Greens and Clears. If you choose a result that gets Blues assigned to it and one that has Reds assigned to it next, it doesn't do the math and put you into Browns, it just points out that you may like both Blues and Browns.

So the only real way I can solve this is by adding more questions. Do you have any sort of examples as having one more question could help filter out all of te "I chose silent options and it gave me Blues" replies I've been getting.

Thanks for your feedback though.

I got blue, which is my switch of choice. Good quiz!

Thankers.

Out of curiosity (because it would be useful for this quiz), what options did you choose on each question? I keep hearing "I chose quiet options and got blues!" and I'm trying to filter out all the results that would give them the wrong answer.

No problem. Good like finding Clears though. They're rare and pricey.

Yeah they're hard to find. Only one I found was the CODE 104 at amazon, and they don't ship it to my country ¬¬

My browns will do for now.

I added another question to the end. It's about my favorite keyboard of all time - the IBM Model M. Should hopefully help filter out all those results that people have gotten for Blues when they selected quiet options.

I got Blues :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

It said I should go for blues.

How quiet are blues compared to something such as a membrane keyboard?

Blues are the loudest cherry mx as far as I know of

Blues are the loudest cherry mx as far as I know of

Greens are louder as you have to hit em harder to actuate them but blues are very loud, yes.

More editing has been done. Made descriptions more clear for each answer on the IBM Model M question.

There's no medium ground with the noise in the options. For example, for questions 2-4 - I don't really mind the amount of noise I make but I don't press particularly hard and I don't mind the click noise of blues (which is its own thing and shouldn't be grouped together with "loudness" when comparing between blues and browns). E.g. for question 4 an option could be just "audible click at actuation point + tactile bump" etc.

Personally - this is my own opinion from my experience with blues and browns - blues make more noise because you're more likely to bottom out since you need more force to get through the bump and if you're typing at a high speed you may not be able to stop your finger in time before bottoming out, resulting in more noise.

There's no medium ground with the noise in the options. For example, for questions 2-4 - I don't really mind the amount of noise I make but I don't press particularly hard and I don't mind the click noise of blues (which is its own thing and shouldn't be grouped together with "loudness" when comparing between blues and browns). E.g. for question 4 an option could be just "audible click at actuation point + tactile bump" etc.

Personally - this is my own opinion from my experience with blues and browns - blues make more noise because you're more likely to bottom out since you need more force to get through the bump and if you're typing at a high speed you may not be able to stop your finger in time before bottoming out, resulting in more noise.

Blues make more noise because of the mechanism inside the switch - not because of the force required. Although this theory of yours does work in comparing Blues to Greens as Greens are heavier and will make more noise from hitting them harder.

Also, the closest middle ground for noise would probably be Cherry MX Blacks in case it matters to you.

And for question 4, does Loud + Tactile + (X) amount of force not quite work for you? I'm not sure I understand your statement.

And for question 4, does Loud + Tactile + (X) amount of force not quite work for you? I'm not sure I understand your statement.

This is what my entire point was about. By no middle ground I mean the questions (all of them, q4 was just the one I decided to use to suggest my additional example option) don't have a "I don't care about noise" option; they're almost always "I like it quiet" or "I like it loud". To put it another way - there's no "Tactile + (X) amount of force" option. 

To give another additional option but to question 2 this time - "light force, noise is something I could go either way about".

This is what my entire point was about. By no middle ground I mean the questions (all of them, q4 was just the one I decided to use to suggest my additional example option) don't have a "I don't care about noise" option; they're almost always "I like it quiet" or "I like it loud". To put it another way - there's no "Tactile + (X) amount of force" option. 

To give another additional option but to question 2 this time - "light force, noise is something I could go either way about".

The problem with this is that I would have to basically... how do I explain this?

If "I don't care about noise" was an option, I would end up with exactly twice as many options for the question. Cherry MX Greens would have two results: A. "Lots of noise + tactile + lots of force" as well as "I don't care about noise + tactile + lots of force." The person taking the test can just ignore the noise preference if they don't care. 

Hope this makes sense. 

2 hours of my time later, the subject post is all streamlined and edited with each key laid out with sound samples for each.

From my personal experience I love browns. The quiz gave me reds.

I wasn't sure about some of the wording in the questions and often found myself trying to find a distinction between different answers.

Results may very.

But overall pretty cool.

Halfbreed