"What key switch should I get?" - Look here!

Reworded the original post to cover more than just Cherry switches. Title now covers every key switch.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I added the Romer-G switches that were featured in today's video from LinusTechTips. Tried this keyboard out in Best buy today. Hated them switches with a passion. They feel like a crazy stiff rubber dome/Cherry Red hybrid that didn't work out. 

Also, the keycaps were hell - have to agree with Linus. 

But the keyboard, if anybody wants my opinion on this, is a no from me.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Why isn't this stickied?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Why isn't this stickied?

I've thought about asking a mod but felt like a bit.. I dunno - weird for asking a mod to have my own thread pinned.

@Whiskers? Just thought I would ask. If there's anything I need to add I'll happily do that too.

I got blue's on the quiz.  I own all switch's(even grey's) except for White's.  Gotta say a nice quiz.  Personally my favorites are Topre now that I use them as a daily driver, but Green's are my second favorite, and then followed by clear's with blue's and browns behind them.  Blacks and red's feel.. just weird to me.  I don't like them at all, they feel like toys xP  White's I have tried and they're.. different.  Light tactile bump, soft click, but same weight as the grey and green, but the grey's are just.. unrelenting in how hard they are.  Green's bounce in a way, but grey's are just horribly heavy browns, xD

I got blue's on the quiz.  I own all switch's(even grey's) except for White's.  Gotta say a nice quiz.  Personally my favorites are Topre now that I use them as a daily driver, but Green's are my second favorite, and then followed by clear's with blue's and browns behind them.  Blacks and red's feel.. just weird to me.  I don't like them at all, they feel like toys xP  White's I have tried and they're.. different.  Light tactile bump, soft click, but same weight as the grey and green, but the grey's are just.. unrelenting in how hard they are.  Green's bounce in a way, but grey's are just horribly heavy browns, xD

Or MX SUPER BLACKS MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Glad that somebody here shares my weird key switch obsession, although I only own greens and rubber domes xD Tried all in the list I made except for Topre.

Or MX SUPER BLACKS MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Glad that somebody here shares my weird key switch obsession, although I only own greens and rubber domes xD Tried all in the list I made except for Topre.

My obsession lead to a collection of keyboards behind me that are likely more than most tri-sli configs x.x I got a problem, or I HAD ONE.  I love Topre's and find they're my end-game switch unless someone devises a new switch that just.. consumes the market.  I tried Super blacks, ohgoodlord, but I -hate- blacks and reds, they feel heavier than they are to me and that's weird, because green's are heavy, but I find them light / medium.  Topre's feel great and I love them.  Actually going to make a note:  A special tie for first place will forever be Buckling springs.  I do need to get my hands on some alps board though.  >_>  I want me some alps.  But yeah, switch obsession galore!  I had a sensor obsession for my mice too.  Ended up with a Kone XTD, then a Naos 7000, and now a Zowie Ec1 Evo, next to get a ROG Gladius and likely a G502 to figure out which I am most in love with and feels the most.. "smooth".  Still having a hair pulling spree with monitors though >.>  Industry needs some damn 4k IPS 27" monitors at or below $400(preferably AH-IPS and 7ms or lower :P)

My obsession lead to a collection of keyboards behind me that are likely more than most tri-sli configs x.x I got a problem, or I HAD ONE.  I love Topre's and find they're my end-game switch unless someone devises a new switch that just.. consumes the market.  I tried Super blacks, ohgoodlord, but I -hate- blacks and reds, they feel heavier than they are to me and that's weird, because green's are heavy, but I find them light / medium.  Topre's feel great and I love them.  Actually going to make a note:  A special tie for first place will forever be Buckling springs.  I do need to get my hands on some alps board though.  >_>  I want me some alps.  But yeah, switch obsession galore!  I had a sensor obsession for my mice too.  Ended up with a Kone XTD, then a Naos 7000, and now a Zowie Ec1 Evo, next to get a ROG Gladius and likely a G502 to figure out which I am most in love with and feels the most.. "smooth".  Still having a hair pulling spree with monitors though >.>  Industry needs some damn 4k IPS 27" monitors at or below $400(preferably AH-IPS and 7ms or lower :P)

BUCKLING SPRINGS ARE BAE. I MISS MY MOM'S OLD MODEL M OH GOD.

And the industry needs more wireless mech keyboards thanks very much.

BUCKLING SPRINGS ARE BAE. I MISS MY MOM'S OLD MODEL M OH GOD.

And the industry needs more wireless mech keyboards thanks very much.

The industry needs more key-switch designs, that way we have more to obsess over :P

The industry needs more key-switch designs, that way we have more to obsess over :P

We need all of the various rare switches to be printed more. There's an MX switch for nearly everybody, it's just that some, like Yellows or Super Blacks, are hard AF to come by.

We need all of the various rare switches to be printed more. There's an MX switch for nearly everybody, it's just that some, like Yellows or Super Blacks, are hard AF to come by.

There's like a hundred something MX switch's, even some based on rubber dome, so yeah--there's a LOT that need to be in the market en masse. 

There's like a hundred something MX switch's, even some based on rubber dome, so yeah--there's a LOT that need to be in the market en masse. 

Sad thing's that fairly common switches like Clears, Blacks, and Greens are harder to find than they should be.

does anyone here have personal experience with buckling spring switches?

I got a switch tester from ebay, i think i have decided green is the best

among the 8 switches. But i do appreciate a good membrane keyboard.

I'm thinking buckling might be good as a middle ground.

Seems like a bunch of info nabbed from other people's content but that might just be me.

Seems like a bunch of info nabbed from other people's content but that might just be me.

Most of it was typed by hand by me. Some was used from Deskauthority.

does anyone here have personal experience with buckling spring switches?

I got a switch tester from ebay, i think i have decided green is the best

among the 8 switches. But i do appreciate a good membrane keyboard.

I'm thinking buckling might be good as a middle ground.

Yes! Buckling springs in the Model M my mom used to have. I say that if you like greens, well, you're going to find buckling springs a tad light. They spring up in quite a weird way that almost forces you to type lighter. I love it (I prefer greens myself) but can say that if you like greens, it's second only to them. Greens are a tad difficult to find though so watch for that. You can find old Model Ms for $50 on Ebay without too much trouble.

Yes! Buckling springs in the Model M my mom used to have. I say that if you like greens, well, you're going to find buckling springs a tad light. They spring up in quite a weird way that almost forces you to type lighter. I love it (I prefer greens myself) but can say that if you like greens, it's second only to them. Greens are a tad difficult to find though so watch for that. You can find old Model Ms for $50 on Ebay without too much trouble.

Hmm, i think i might prefer a straight solution like a buckling spring over

most mechanical switches. But i do like the resistance/smoothness of

the cherry mx green. I guess i would have to take a leap of faith with 

the buckling spring, i imagine it being a love/hate relationship and not 

much in between :P

Hmm, i think i might prefer a straight solution like a buckling spring over

most mechanical switches. But i do like the resistance/smoothness of

the cherry mx green. I guess i would have to take a leap of faith with 

the buckling spring, i imagine it being a love/hate relationship and not 

much in between :P

*Would like to clarify* Buckling springs are mechanical switches,

And having a Cherry MX Green keyboard in my hands right now (Christmas gift :D) I can say that the buckling springs are definitely lighter. If you like the bounce-back effect of the tactile bump on the way back then buckling springs will be perfect, although I still feel like Blues match the feel of Buckling springs more than greens.

*Would like to clarify* Buckling springs are mechanical switches,

And having a Cherry MX Green keyboard in my hands right now (Christmas gift :D) I can say that the buckling springs are definitely lighter. If you like the bounce-back effect of the tactile bump on the way back then buckling springs will be perfect, although I still feel like Blues match the feel of Buckling springs more than greens.

They feel lighter than greens, but do you think they are

heavier than blues? if they are as light as blue that might

not work out so well.. 

also congrats on the present, a fine christmas present indeed. 

They feel lighter than greens, but do you think they are

heavier than blues? if they are as light as blue that might

not work out so well.. 

also congrats on the present, a fine christmas present indeed. 

They're heavier than blues but force you to type lighter because of the bounce-back effect of the springs. Honestly, from what it sounds, greens are your best bet. Good luck finding any though...