New build incoming, looking for some feedback.

JohnnyF

Hi all, I posted this in a different section of the forums yesterday, and found the proper section today. Copy pasted from my old thread.

my current setup:

HAF X

i7 920

EVGA x58 sli

12gigs of Corsair DDR3 1333

MSI GTX 560 Ti 2gb

Antec 750w PSU

http://i.imgur.com/0kBpZln.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OtwYUl7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NeJ9qPF.jpg

It's lasted me about 3 years now, but i've started to notice my framerate drop off in games now. My brother plays LoL, not really graphic or cpu intensive, so I'm going to give my current setup to him.

New build:

Going with a Black / Gold themed interior.

Corsair 900D case

i7 3930

ASRock x79 Extreme 11

EVGA GTX 670

Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 2400

AX1200 (Already bought)

Kingston HyperX SSD (Already Bought)

H100i (Currently using in my pc)

Looking for any input on fans I should be using, trying to keep the black and gold theme throughout my case.

I had my eyes on the Corsair AF140, and just painting the white rings it comes with gold. I'm up for any input on good case fans, as well as push pull fans for the H100i.

Thanks for looking!

Johnny

Isn't the 900D a bit overkill for a single GPU build?

I agree, but in other ways he shouldnt need to upgrade that part the next many many years. Thats why ive got the 800d :)

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

Why would it be

Why would it be

The 900D is a huge case though at its price its competing with bigger and better Caselabs cases its designed for people with multiple GPU setups and full custom loop watercooling if your not doing these you will be using a lot of space and wasting money that could be better spent on parts

Overall the setup is fairly good though rather overkill in places.

Unless you do very heavy rendering and other multithreaded tasks you will no use the 3930K to its full potential at such a point a 3770K or a 3570K paired with an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 would be a better and cheaper option, at the price the GTX670 is the same price as a 7970 while the 7970 performs far better as such I would recommend one unless you use CUDA PSU is way overkill no single GPU system today will exceed 600 watts and TPD's are getting lower, H100i performs worse than high end air coolers and if you can spend that custom loop is most certainly an option

Personally with Haswell and the new 8000 series GPU's coming out soon you already have a respectable build so I would suggest sticking with that and going with new generation parts

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

Why would it be
The 900D is a huge case though at its price its competing with bigger and better Caselabs cases its designed for people with multiple GPU setups and full custom loop watercooling if your not doing these you will be using a lot of space and wasting money that could be better spent on parts Overall the setup is fairly good though rather overkill in places. Unless you do very heavy rendering and other multithreaded tasks you will no use the 3930K to its full potential at such a point a 3770K or a 3570K paired with an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 would be a better and cheaper option' date=' at the price the GTX670 is the same price as a 7970 while the 7970 performs far better as such I would recommend one unless you use CUDA PSU is way overkill no single GPU system today will exceed 600 watts and TPD's are getting lower, H100i performs worse than high end air coolers and if you can spend that custom loop is most certainly an option Personally with Haswell and the new 8000 series GPU's coming out soon you already have a respectable build so I would suggest sticking with that and going with new generation parts [/quote']

Should of mentioned I do plan on SLI down the road, for now going to just use one. I currently use my haf x with 1 card and I love it. I like the big cases with lots of airflow.

For the H100i, have to remember too that it all depends on which fan you use with it. My idle temps are what I think, pretty low (30*c).

I can't stand, at all, for getting low frame rates in any games. Hence why I went for a ridiculous system that will last a long time.

Great build I see no problems and even with SLI the 800D is massive and would work well for only two in SLI.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

Great build I see no problems and even with SLI the 800D is massive and would work well for only two in SLI.

Thanks!

Anyone have any input on good case fans (120 and 140mm) that go with the black / gold theme? Might have to end up going with painting the AF120 and 140 rings, but if theres a better fan out there, I'm open to looking!

Why would it be
The 900D is a huge case though at its price its competing with bigger and better Caselabs cases its designed for people with multiple GPU setups and full custom loop watercooling if your not doing these you will be using a lot of space and wasting money that could be better spent on parts Overall the setup is fairly good though rather overkill in places. Unless you do very heavy rendering and other multithreaded tasks you will no use the 3930K to its full potential at such a point a 3770K or a 3570K paired with an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 would be a better and cheaper option' date=' at the price the GTX670 is the same price as a 7970 while the 7970 performs far better as such I would recommend one unless you use CUDA PSU is way overkill no single GPU system today will exceed 600 watts and TPD's are getting lower, H100i performs worse than high end air coolers and if you can spend that custom loop is most certainly an option Personally with Haswell and the new 8000 series GPU's coming out soon you already have a respectable build so I would suggest sticking with that and going with new generation parts [/quote']

Should of mentioned I do plan on SLI down the road, for now going to just use one. I currently use my haf x with 1 card and I love it. I like the big cases with lots of airflow.

For the H100i, have to remember too that it all depends on which fan you use with it. My idle temps are what I think, pretty low (30*c).

I can't stand, at all, for getting low frame rates in any games. Hence why I went for a ridiculous system that will last a long time.

Id stick with the HAF its a great case with plenty of room.

Future proofing wont get you far technology is advancing far too fast if you mainly game then a 3570K is your best option you wont see ANY gaming performance from upgrading to a 3770K or an LGA2011 chip saving you money long term so you can always upgrade or buy some nice peripherals.

for the GPU a 7950/7970 will be a better option currently AMD GPU's perform better in most areas particularly in high resolution they also cost less and offer more performance than their Nvidia counterparts (particularly with their overclocking ability)

the H100i is a better solution than a high end air cooling if you have limited air flow the HAF X and indeed most enthusiast cases today have great airflow removing its advantage but if you have one already then you may as well salvage it.

Lots of comments, but nobody helping you with your fan choices.

It will be tough to find fans that are black and gold (I'm talking actual colors on the fan, not LEDs).

Something that is close and worth checking out are Cougar fans. Very quiet, high quaity, average price. They are all black, with small orange accents. Might go with your planned color scheme?

ill just copy and paste this from the other thread xD:

don't get an ASRock Mobo, they suck. Stick to ASUS or MSI.

I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there.

Thanks!

Anyone have any input on good case fans (120 and 140mm) that go with the black / gold theme? Might have to end up going with painting the AF120 and 140 rings, but if theres a better fan out there, I'm open to looking!

You could buy fans and then spray paint the blades gold?

Lots of comments' date=' but nobody helping you with your fan choices. It will be tough to find fans that are black and gold (I'm talking actual colors on the fan, not LEDs). Something that is close and worth checking out are Cougar fans. Very quiet, high quaity, average price. They are all black, with small orange accents. Might go with your planned color scheme?[/quote']

I actually have 5 Cougar fans in my case now haha. I have 1 140 in the back and 4 120's attached to my H100i. I went for the all orange blade and black frame. Thanks for the suggestion though!

ill just copy and paste this from the other thread xD: don't get an ASRock Mobo' date=' they suck. Stick to ASUS or MSI. I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there.[/quote']

Oh wow, really? I've been building out my friends new PC's with MSI boards, and thought I would take a change to this ASRock one. Hmmmmm, now looks like I need to do more research on this board :P

Why would it be

Don't go 2011 if you're using it just to game. Like Kruziik said, there won't be any performance gains from a 3570k let alone a 3770k. Save some money and atleast downgrade to 1156. A 3570k will handle games just fine.

ill just copy and paste this from the other thread xD: don't get an ASRock Mobo' date=' they suck. Stick to ASUS or MSI. I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there.[/quote']

Oh wow, really? I've been building out my friends new PC's with MSI boards, and thought I would take a change to this ASRock one. Hmmmmm, now looks like I need to do more research on this board :P

I think Linus got that ASRock board for his new comp, but returned it because the little fan on it drives him crazy lol.

I've had two, and they've both had problems. The one i've got in my work PC atm doesn't come in and out of sleep properly. Causes all sorts of problems. Just don't go there.

That is not correct.

ASRock manufacture some amazing high end boards for example the Z77 Extreme 4 that is by far the best overclocker in its price range and has features to rival higher end boards while yes there X79 boards to have a slightly annoying fan they are still of quality to rival the ''top tier'' mobo manufacturers (Asus, MSI and Gigabyte)

They where indeed once a manufacturer of cheap terrible OEM boards much like Foxconn (though they are still terrible) but over the years particularly over the last 2 they have made strides in quality

as for your own experience you obviously had faulty a chance of which is there with every manufacturer either that or some of the older OEM boards

Alas the board in question is a brand spanking new X79 extreme 4. I expect a board of that caliber to handle basic shit like power states, and yes the bios is the most up to date etc.

Perhaps I have had a bad experience, but of all the ASUS boards ive come across i've never had a problem with one. Hence my Maximus board.

Value = Good, generally cheap not so much

how about akasa viper fans?

they are yellow and have good performance the only problem is that they are loud (they have 4 pin so it's easy to fix)

CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 945 GPU: AMD 7850 (ASUS) RAM: CORSAIR VANGEANCE LP 8GB CPU COOLER: CM HYPER 212(old one) HDD: SAMSUNG 500GB PSU: MODECOM CARBON 530W MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P KB: CMSTORM QUICKFIRE RAPID MOUSE: CORSAIR M60 SPEAKERS: LOGITECH LS21

I agree asus re an excellent manufacturer of motherboards I myself own a Maximus V Formula however you can't judge a product based on 1 faulty example if possible try to get the board replaced

how about akasa viper fans?

they are yellow and have good performance the only problem is that they are loud (they have 4 pin so it's easy to fix)

I'll have to check them out, thanks!

true, but I only have my own user experience that I can reliably go on. and comparing the two. it'll be a while before I touch an asrock board again :/

Have you looked at noctua fans? super quiet, extremely high performance and sort of gold...ish.

Have you looked at noctua fans? super quiet, extremely high performance and sort of gold...ish.
Yeah, I think I've checked everything out there haha! I know Noctua fans are top notch, but the colors don't work for me :(

I think I may end up using the Corsair AF120 and 140's.