LinusTechTips @Folding Team - Important Info Inside

Any thoughts to creating a LinusTechTips folding team? I myself have a bunch of systems I could contribute to folding for the team and I am sure the members of this community should have some hardware and points to contribute.

Another way for the LinusTechTips group to show support - by @Folding. :)

If enough folks are interested, I can volunteer to create the team and post a basic setup guide and such...

Whaler

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

id like to try it but my internet is tasked to the limit as is.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Folding doesn't use really any Internet bandwidth, except to download and upload work units. All the work is done on your pc(s).

System downloads a WU - cranks away on it for hours or days. Work is completed. Connects, uploads results and the downloads a new WU.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Definitely count me in as well!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

I would be interested, all it really takes is leaving your computer on when your not using it.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

OK, I created a team...

The name is LinusTechTips_Team

The team number is 223518

So when installing the client - was that team number. I am going to memssage the powers that be about getting a dedicated forum created. :)

Some links...

Here is link to download the software....

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Link for the Passkey...

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

You need that for eventual bonus points...

For a custom Linux version that is all self contained...

http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/fah-native.php

I use this to run Hyper-V hosts....

Remember, during the install, use our Team Number for proper points crediting - 223518

Once we get a proper forum up, I will also upload some install guides and such...

I would definitively use my other machines to fold :) I am using one currently for the OC3D team, but I suspect I will change over to the Linus pretty soon :)

MEH

f someone explains me what folding is :D Sorry im german and dont rly understand that

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Folding... essentially it is a distributed computer model. So... you install a program that downloads what called a work unit (WU). The program then uses the power of your CPU and GPU to do math computations on this very little slice of a VERY large pie. Once done, you upload results, download new peice, and start over...

This is how they are working to solve various medical issues around cancer and other diseases. By using the power of all our PC's.

I have three virtual folding systems, two dedicated Windows based units and one dedicated Linux based unit. And there is friendly competition around the points we earn for Folding, hence why people join teams. :)

f someone explains me what folding is :D Sorry im german and dont rly understand that
A way to let the idle stance of your pc be used for calculation for other people, like medicine studies. You will calculate numbers and upload them to a server which will be used to help research to stuff. they made it competative to make it more interesting, so teams were made. like this one.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Sorry, DPC fan here :)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I bet if they let HAL fold for a day then it would do all the folding that all the current folding machines do in a year. Then people could actually turn off their computers and save the planet by not wasting power by leaving their computer on.

Only things that HAVE to be constantly on should fold such as servers. People that leave their computer on overnight just to fold are doing more damage than good because of the power wastage.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I'm in, I just changed the team number on my SMP Client.

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Don't have the most powerful computer, but helping nonetheless.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX

Every little bit helps!

Will join if this is officially supported by Linus and Slick :D. My computer folds 24/7 to keep my room warm :P

Folding begun under Abenlog!