Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
69lover

nvidia has broken drivers for linux [rant]

Posted · Original PosterOP

nvidia's latest drivers 331 and the one before for linux are broken for,after installing the only thing your gonna get is a black screen and file errors fixing it even after recompiling the kernel dosent work ...... nvidia has fallen to the shit level "cough cough Amd"  for linux drivers ...... after a crazy ass search and testing the solution below may work.... 

original source :- http://askubuntu.com/questions/450046/black-screen-with-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu

solution :-

1. Boot up Ubuntu and make sure you're connected on the internet.
  2. Open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1
  3. Login and here is what you have to type in terminal:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo reboot
  4. After reboot, repeat step 2. You'll need here an internet connection, again. Run these commands:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo reboot

It is very important to run nvidia-xconfig! If you don't run it, you'll crash your system!

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy,Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" - Lord Gaben 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KrYZjX<------------------ Dream Rig 

I updated to 344.75 but I still get a lot of kernel driver crashes. Nvidia fix pl0x :c

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I surprisingly have not gotton a kernel driver crash other than that one time when i overclocked. Must be pretty lucky.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I updated to 344.75 but I still get a lot of kernel driver crashes. Nvidia fix pl0x :c

i am forced to re install my os now tnx to nvidia 

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy,Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" - Lord Gaben 

As a general rule you shouldn't bother with bleeding-edge hardware on Linux. Especially GPUs.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I surprisingly have not gotton a kernel driver crash other than that one time when i overclocked. Must be pretty lucky.

oh yeah ... infact i ran an underclock for stability.... also it has to do more with ubuntu 14.04 above and linux mint 16 above 

As a general rule you shouldn't bother with bleeding-edge hardware on Linux. Especially GPUs.

yeah i regret selling my old gpu 

nvidia's latest drivers 331 and the one before for linux are broken for,after installing the only thing your gonna get is a black screen and file errors fixing it even after recompiling the kernel dosent work ...... nvidia has fallen to the shit level "cough cough Amd" for linux drivers ...... after a crazy ass search and testing the solution below may work....

original source :- http://askubuntu.com/questions/450046/black-screen-with-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu

• Boot up Ubuntu and make sure you're connected on the internet.
  • Open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1
  • Login and here is what you have to type in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo reboot

• After reboot, repeat step 2. You'll need here an internet connection, again. Run these commands:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo reboot

It is very important to run nvidia-xconfig! If you don't run it, you'll crash your system!

Maybe you don't remember this http://youtu.be/iYWzMvlj2RQ

Maybe you don't remember this http://youtu.be/iYWzMvlj2RQ

Lollll...... Nvidia should really learn a lesson

nvidia's latest drivers 331 and the one before for linux are broken for,after installing the only thing your gonna get is a black screen and file errors fixing it even after recompiling the kernel dosent work ...... nvidia has fallen to the shit level "cough cough Amd"  for linux drivers ...... after a crazy ass search and testing the solution below may work.... 

original source :- http://askubuntu.com/questions/450046/black-screen-with-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu

1. Boot up Ubuntu and make sure you're connected on the internet.
  2. Open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1
  3. Login and here is what you have to type in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo reboot

4. After reboot, repeat step 2. You'll need here an internet connection, again. Run these commands:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo reboot

It's common knowledge that nvidia cards are bad for linux. Have never had a good experience with an nvidia card in a linux system. I ALWAYS go radeon or intel HD with linux.

I upgraded to 346.16 a few days ago. It is running fine. I think I was using 343.22 before which was also working fine. Actually I was seeing some issues when I had my display rotated but I don't have that setup now so I don't know if that is still an issue.

nvidia-xconfig writes a lot and is usually not needed for a simple single display setup. Something generic like this in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf is probably enough.

Section "Device"  Identifier     "Card0"  Driver         "nvidia"EndSection

If there is already a /etc/X11/xorg.conf it will need to be removed/renamed.

I actually switched from ATI/AMD graphics cards (8500, 9800 Pro, X850 XT, 3870x2) due to (in this order):

1) Terrible drivers on Linux
2) All three cards died in less than 3 years (very lightly overclocked)
3) X850 XT and 3870x2 were relegated to 'legacy' drivers and no longer supported on both Linux and Windows only two years after release.

660 Ti's going strong on Linux. Using proprietary drivers because I have to. :P

A tip, if I may:

Debian/Ubuntu and derivatives (Mint, etc) don't include NVIDIA's latest proprietary drivers in their repositories. That's where the 'xorg-edgers' repo comes in. Adding this PPA to your Debian/Ubuntu (or variant thereof) installation enables very easy installation of the latest from NVIDIA without downloading them from geforce.com and manually installing. If you don't need a guide, just click this.

Here's a quick and dirty guide to getting it added, set up, and installed:

1) Open a terminal window (without groaning; you'll learn to love it.)
2) One line at a time, paste these commands into your terminal window (CTRL-Shift-V):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-340

3) Reboot (a module's just been added to your kernel, kinda makes it necessary).

From now on, just run your update manager or sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and your NVIDIA driver stays the latest possible version. Not that that's really necessary. Note that at the time of writing this 'nvidia-340' represented the latest driver (340.58).

Not bad for a first post, eh? I actually made the account to ask about Cherry MX Green keyboards (they're hard to find -_-) but changed my mind. Then I found this post. If anyone else has a better way for newer Linux users to obtain the most up-to-the-minute NVIDIA drivers, I'd love to hear about it. So far, this is the easiest way I've found, and I'm massively grateful to the xorg-edgers team for putting the PPA together.

--Kade

I actually switched from ATI/AMD graphics cards (8500, 9800 Pro, X850 XT, 3870x2) due to (in this order):

1) Terrible drivers on Linux

2) All three cards died in less than 3 years (very lightly overclocked)

3) X850 XT and 3870x2 were relegated to 'legacy' drivers and no longer supported on both Linux and Windows only two years after release.

660 Ti's going strong on Linux. Using proprietary drivers because I have to. :P

A tip, if I may:

Debian/Ubuntu and derivatives (Mint, etc) don't include NVIDIA's latest proprietary drivers in their repositories. That's where the 'xorg-edgers' repo comes in. Adding this PPA to your Debian/Ubuntu (or variant thereof) installation enables very easy installation of the latest from NVIDIA without downloading them from geforce.com and manually installing. If you don't need a guide, just click this.

Here's a quick and dirty guide to getting it added, set up, and installed:

1) Open a terminal window (without groaning; you'll learn to love it.)

2) One line at a time, paste these commands into your terminal window (CTRL-Shift-V):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-340

3) Reboot (a module's just been added to your kernel, kinda makes it necessary).

From now on, just run your update manager or sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and your NVIDIA driver stays the latest possible version. Not that that's really necessary. Note that at the time of writing this 'nvidia-340' represented the latest driver (340.58).

Not bad for a first post, eh? I actually made the account to ask about Cherry MX Green keyboards (they're hard to find -_-) but changed my mind. Then I found this post. If anyone else has a better way for newer Linux users to obtain the most up-to-the-minute NVIDIA drivers, I'd love to hear about it. So far, this is the easiest way I've found, and I'm massively grateful to the xorg-edgers team for putting the PPA together.

--Kade

Did everything and now everything boots fine but unity just fucking crashes..... And thats an internal bug with ubuntu 14.04 not nvidia's fault

I'm just sitting here with my AMD card that sucks balls at Linux.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Did everything and now everything boots fine but unity just fucking crashes..... And thats an internal bug with ubuntu 14.04 not nvidia's fault

I'll be eager to see how Unity looks/feels when the switch to Mir happens, but for now, I always recommend KDE. I've been using KDE since they changed up Gnome in v3 and Ubuntu switched over to Unity. Kubuntu 15.04 will use Plasma (KDE) 5 by default (big changes), so that's getting installed whenever I feel unlazy. Which is almost never. BSCS (compsci) classes keep me much busier than I'm used to. :|

I've never had issues with Nvidia drivers on Arch, Slackware, or Fedora. I have however had some issues getting them to work with FreeBSD, but that was only once. However I've always installed them via the run file directly from Nvidia. In fact, the Linux drivers are regarded by some to be better because they support 10 bit color on the GeForce cards. This means you can run Resolve for Linux in Deep Color. A huge, huge plus. The drivers shouldn't be messing with your kernel like that. Have you tried installing them from the run file and then reconfiguring X? Reconfiguring X is a very, very important step, although a misconfigured X server shouldn't crash your system like you said. You should just get no GUI. Maybe your X server is messed up? Ubuntu never gets timely updates for things like X (A big reason I hate *buntu distros). Maybe the Nvidia driver requires a newer kernel or version of X then you have? What version of X do you have and what version of the kernel do you have? 

I'll admit I haven't used Unity since Natty launched, but I just remember it being the worst.... I'm sure its gotten a lot better, but you should try KDE or Xfce. Both are great. KDE is much more resource heavy though.

I'll be eager to see how Unity looks/feels when the switch to Mir happens, but for now, I always recommend KDE. I've been using KDE since they changed up Gnome in v3 and Ubuntu switched over to Unity. Kubuntu 15.04 will use Plasma (KDE) 5 by default (big changes), so that's getting installed whenever I feel unlazy. Which is almost never. BSCS (compsci) classes keep me much busier than I'm used to. :|

I've never had issues with Nvidia drivers on Arch, Slackware, or Fedora. I have however had some issues getting them to work with FreeBSD, but that was only once. However I've always installed them via the run file directly from Nvidia. In fact, the Linux drivers are regarded by some to be better because they support 10 bit color on the GeForce cards. This means you can run Resolve for Linux in Deep Color. A huge, huge plus. The drivers shouldn't be messing with your kernel like that. Have you tried installing them from the run file and then reconfiguring X? Reconfiguring X is a very, very important step, although a misconfigured X server shouldn't crash your system like you said. You should just get no GUI. Maybe your X server is messed up? Ubuntu never gets timely updates for things like X (A big reason I hate *buntu distros). Maybe the Nvidia driver requires a newer kernel or version of X then you have? What version of X do you have and what version of the kernel do you have?

I'll admit I haven't used Unity since Natty launched, but I just remember it being the worst.... I'm sure its gotten a lot better, but you should try KDE or Xfce. Both are great. KDE is much more resource heavy though.

I was literally in the middle of running one of my auto update scripts when I saw this thread. When it got to the y/n prompt, I hit F#$@ dat.

thanks

I finallt found someone on /r/linux4noobs who kinda found a way to run it on maxwell cards..... Hope this works would post here sooon with a fix.... Now i realise why hard core linux users have a beard and are obese

I finallt found someone on /r/linux4noobs who kinda found a way to run it on maxwell cards..... Hope this works would post here sooon with a fix.... Now i realise why hard core linux users have a beard and are obese

Meh, I take exception to that with my clean-shaven face and 170 lb / 6 ft frame. Nerds ain't wut they used to be. Some of us even have our workstations set up on treadmills... and I'll be doing that someday, I'm sure. lol

Oh, its for linux. For a moment I thought nvidia drivers had problems on windows. Relieved that nvidia drivers don't have problems.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Oh, its for linux. For a moment I thought nvidia drivers had problems on windows. Relieved that nvidia drivers don't have problems.

If you were as awesome at reading as you imagine you are at trolling, you'd see that it isn't Linux that's the problem. Then again, probably not. Carry on.

Meh, I take exception to that with my clean-shaven face and 170 lb / 6 ft frame. Nerds ain't wut they used to be. Some of us even have our workstations set up on treadmills... and I'll be doing that someday, I'm sure. lol

Same here 6.1ft,lean body and wide shoulder blades ,no way i look like a nerd...

Hey now... I'm 6 foot 1 and only 145 lbs, and I'm clean shaven!