Linus's New Vids

CartertheCOCguy
-

To be fair, he did edit the original post a bit.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Were you not entertained?

such a gladiator speech rip off xD 

i agree, people do attack on a personal level, even i was thinking some 14year old child is going to tell his "opinion" that changes year after year.... 

to the OP:

i get you get bored with watching stuff you can't afford, but you are 14. Basicly anything you get , somebody else has to pay.. You are in no position to achieve something, simply because you don't have any ways to do it.

So you are frustrated, or maybe you just are bored. I don't care one way or the other ;) fact is if you are going to open something like this you might wanna be a bit more down to earth. You may have edited your original post, but saying "i've been following for 3 years, i'm 14 now" and then starting off all the hate.... Well you are gonna get attacked buddy :)

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

I ran out of popcorn for this thread, it was worth it. I wasn't going to comment on the age, but it shows. Kids don't know anything. My brother is a tech illiterate 16 year old and he knows more about why Linus operates the way he does than OP does. 

Come back when you're 24 and have to start running your own channel and company. Let me know how much you hate "making videos for money". What did you expect? Linus does this because his heart is 3 sizes too big and he likes all of us? 

I'm sure he likes us, but he likes making money too. Cause he's a businessman. HE has a business to run. He has to balance entertaining content with cash earning content, if the two match up great and if they don't he needs to find the blend of videos that works. He has 1.1 million subs now, he can't appease everyone. He's going mass market for better or worse, and he needs to start handling the channel and the content in a way that ANYONE could at least watch and understand. 

Cause, you know, he isn't 14 and doesn't think in linear ways. 

I don't get bored of watching stuff I can't afford. By that logic, I'd get bored of attending cars and coffee meetings where people show up with cars worth more than my home. But I don't. Cause its fun to see the absolute madness that exists out there. Its fun to aspire to something insane. Its just fun to see what people can do for the sake of doing it. 

Sorry, I'll go tell all my supercar owning friends to stop showing up with supercars because I can't afford one and therefore they shouldn't show them off. I bet they'll admit me to the insane asylum for my own good. 

While I agree with the his statements basically said he was very pissed for you not catering to his specific needs and that you should've picked a different career if you only stick to what attracts views.

Very sorry but there is a difference in voicing an opinion and simply being selfish and whining. In the eyes of about everybody here that was the latter and you too have to admit that his tone and his stance was far from being a simple voicing of an opinion.

through some of the broken english the message was basically "I love watching your videos, but I cannot afford or have no use for many of the products."

If people are driven from feeling comfortable to voice their opinion like the OP, how will you know whether it's just 1 random person that has this opinion, or 100,000 that won't bother because they might be ganged up on?  the very definition of a forum is an open place where views can be exchanged. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

through some of the broken english the message was basically "I love watching your videos, but I cannot afford or have no use for many of the products."

If people are driven from feeling comfortable to voice their opinion like the OP, how will you know whether it's just 1 random person that has this opinion, or 100,000 that won't bother because they might be ganged up on?  the very definition of a forum is an open place where views can be exchanged. 

Never said the opposite but the tone that was set was very much "I'm mad because my needs are not met" with an overall hostile tone. Nothing wrong with voicing it but this was pretty hostile which is not how you should voice an opinion

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Never said the opposite but the tone that was set was very much "I'm mad because my needs are not met" with an overall hostile tone. Nothing wrong with voicing it but this was pretty hostile which is not how you should voice an opinion

unless the OP was edited, I don't see anything hostile in there. I see disappointment and a tone of questioning.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

unless the OP was edited, I don't see anything hostile in there. I see disappointment and a tone of questioning.

Then it got edited because it was pretty hostile

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Some good discussion in here, but I really don't like the way the OP was personally attacked. Everyone in this community is welcome to voice his or her opinion about the content we produce at Linus Media Group because that's how we improve.

With that said, the mix of low end to high end productsf is unlikely to change anytime soon, and the reason is that people are only interested in watching something new, and there's simply no innovation in the space.

How far back do we have to go to find a $100 graphics card that wasn't rebadged?

How far back do we have to go to find a $40-50 CPU cooler that performs any differently than every other $40-50 CPU cooler? 

Why am I not making videos about this stuff? Because it's BORING AS ALL HELL. The cost reductions that these companies are achieving through better manufacturing are being offset by the ever increasing cost of raw materials, so that's why we end up with effectively the same price and same performance year after year after year in these commodity categories.

I actually just had a meeting internally and we're killing off all-in-one liquid coolers as a review category unless someone comes up with something truly special or that we haven't reviewed before (like a triple 140mm or something). Why? Because I'm bored of them, and apparently so are you: 

That video has lower engagement, and lower views than most of what we've released in the last month even though it's a solid cooler.

The way I see it, my job is to make entertaining videos about interesting tech. You might not personally have any use for a smart baby monitor or a triple 34" Eyefinity setup, but did you watch the video? Was the tech interesting? Were you not entertained?

anything you guys at Linus Media I watch, because it is all interesting, and no matter what it is I tend to learn a few new things, or am reminded of things I may have forgotten. I also watch because I find them all entertaining, even if there is only one joke, and even if it is super lame.

Nothing to see here, move along

Why am I not making videos about this stuff? Because it's BORING AS ALL HELL. The cost reductions that these companies are achieving through better manufacturing are being offset by the ever increasing cost of raw materials, so that's why we end up with effectively the same price and same performance year after year after year in these commodity categories.

Honestly, the same could be said about every single headphone video that's been produced. There's NO innovation in that space, and hasn't been any in years. All the headphone reviews are basically the same. 

Some good discussion in here, but I really don't like the way the OP was personally attacked. Everyone in this community is welcome to voice his or her opinion about the content we produce at Linus Media Group because that's how we improve.

With that said, the mix of low end to high end productsf is unlikely to change anytime soon, and the reason is that people are only interested in watching something new, and there's simply no innovation in the space.

How far back do we have to go to find a $100 graphics card that wasn't rebadged?

How far back do we have to go to find a $40-50 CPU cooler that performs any differently than every other $40-50 CPU cooler? 

I actually just had a meeting internally and we're killing off all-in-one liquid coolers as a review category unless someone comes up with something truly special or that we haven't reviewed before (like a triple 140mm or something). Why? Because I'm bored of them, and apparently so are you: 

That video has lower engagement, and lower views than most of what we've released in the last month even though it's a solid cooler.

The way I see it, my job is to make entertaining videos about interesting tech. You might not personally have any use for a smart baby monitor or a triple 34" Eyefinity setup, but did you watch the video? Was the tech interesting? Were you not entertained?

Well put Linus. We all know how important numbers are to you even though some feel they are insignificant. Your quote on Twitter put it so well

Numbers are important. Without numbers I'll need to lay off my staff. #RealityBites

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

-snip-

I've also been watching the channel for a long long time, I loved the old NCIX intro. 

As for the products, as a channel you've grown a lot, which is good. The one thing I miss a bit is reviews of new mice and peripherals, ie the latest Tyon Roccat one for instance, the channel seems to be focused more and more on oddities and weird stuff, for instance the mineral oil cooled rig and that baby monitor. Don't get me wrong I love that content and I am certainly entertained, I won't buy it, but I also won't buy 95% of the other products you review. But I do would like to see more "normal" tech (I understand that it is hard to find mice or keyboards that do something new, but there are some, I for one would like to see that new Nyth Roccat mouse), doesn't have to be low end or boring cpu coolers, stuff like that Energy+ backpack was cool and still not too much an oddity.

I know that I am just one voice, and I still like the current content, this is just my 2 cents.

Anyway keep up the good work!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Honestly, I'd LOVE some vLogs, unedited, just talking about his day, what projects they're working on, etc. I think his first video I saw was the "24Gb of RAM on socket 1366" video he did. Just chatting about the RAM and stuff. Love this style. 

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I personally really enjoy the high end review as a techie I would have probably bought into the mimo smart baby monitor or seeing these insane Eyefinity set ups that I wouldn't be able to afford for over a year but its bad ass that you guys are doing stuff like this. 

I personally have always supported Linus and the videos he has made. And I have really enjoyed how far he has come in terms of production quality and the amount of awesome reviews he does now.

I have been subscribed to Linus for 3 years now and though I did really enjoy his unboxing videos I much rather watch the review about the product.

I now find myself always watching a review from him before I buy a product to make sure it is good.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

As i have stated in comments and other posts, i originally didn't like the new format.

I haven't been with you for 3 years, or even two. I have been here for about a year.

Even in that time span, i have seen so many changes made. Some for the better, some maybe for the worse, but as far as the content goes, i enjoy it all the same.

Changes are a necessity to keep a channel from rolling into nothingness, and we all get it.

Most of us are fine with it, and most of us are not afraid of changes.

But there will always be the people that say "oh linus i miss the old you where you did everything in one shot and made mistakes and the videos had no real time limit, or guideline". Always. 

And when you change drastically the next time, those same people will be saying they miss you as you are now.

So go forth, and change.

We all welcome it.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Honestly, the same could be said about every single headphone video that's been produced. There's NO innovation in that space, and hasn't been any in years. All the headphone reviews are basically the same. 

Well you need to know if the headphones sound good and are comfortable when you're thinking about buying some. 

Glad you guys caught that. 

Speaking of you killing off the AiO's, is there a chance there can still be a written review slaved over by Slick just for performance numbers (or a chart on here we can reference to? :D) or are they just gone for good completely because we can Google it?

Oh boy that idea again.

People like that want LTT to be about gaming and nothing else. 

Thats the "roots" they want to go back to. O15 is just as bad as OP with that mentality. 

Glad you guys caught that. 

I look forward every night to watch your videos as well as the WAN show. ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I just feel that linus is not as funny any more

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I think people are more likely to watch the videos just because its Linus, rather than what the product or topic itself is. Honestly I couldn't care what the product is, I find all the videos entertaining

What would set LMG apart from the rest of the Hardware Reviewers on YouTube if LMG made videos based on the same boring stuff? Having the overkill PC build guides, testing 128GB of RAM with content creation products or building a 48TB NAS box is what makes LMG different from everyone else.