Nokia N1: 8-inch Android Lollipop Tablet with iPad-Like Design and 64-bit Intel Processor

JantsoP

I does look similar to Ipad but Nokia Lumia 925 has some very similar design elements as well.

boring

I'm quite intrigued by that Z Launcher. I'm soooo tired of the icons wall so this one looks kind of cool. That's more of an highlight than the table itself... 

Don't know if it works well to always have your apps changing depanding on what your doing/time of the day. Looks good though. 

boring

I think it's quite interesting to see nokia make a device with android since their phones are completeley sold to microsoft.

who cares...

I'm looking forward to the reviews and seeing how it compares to other tablets.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD

I'm quite intrigued by that Z Launcher. I'm soooo tired of the icons wall so this one looks kind of cool. That's more of an highlight than the table itself...

Don't know if it works well to always have your apps changing depanding on what your doing/time of the day. Looks good though.

You should try the Yahoo Aviate Launcher. It's pretty unique.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

You should try the Yahoo Aviate Launcher. It's pretty unique.

Like I have an Android phone or tablet. I'm all iOS and Windows Phone my friend :) ... for now. My next one should be an Android to try it out. 

SNIP

I think they use 4:3 because it its all other aspects ratio inside of it

so 4:3 can display 3:2 perfectly, and 16:9 perfectly with only top and bottom black bars,

a 16:9 display, would have thick vertical black bars which are more intrusive than horizontal ones

aspect-ratio-2.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Good to see Nokia trying out Android, wonder how well this tablet will sell though.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I think 4:3 is better for Web browsing, which is the only reason why I would use a tablet.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Agreed. 16:10 is glorious compared to this gimmick 4:3.

Personally I love 16:10 for tablets for I can see why some might think it's too wide.

have you been consuming mushrooms or something :) ?

my friend has the lg g pad 8.3''. ITS TERRIBLE. plain and simple TERRIBLE. when i browse the web in landscape mode i can`t see sh*t. there is a bar up and down and very small room for content

7.9 like the ipad mini is excelent

I've never really been a fan of the iPad design (I'm sorry, but metal for a tablet just doesn't feel good in the hand). Good on Nokia for trying though.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

This is very interesting indeed. If it holds true to the cost, and Amazon manages to knock some dollars off of it a couple months after launch I think this might be my first tablet.

While there are a few things that I dislike about it, it's one of the better options I've found so far. Just wish they'd figured out some front facing speakers. Bottom facing is such a horrible solution.

Nokia Nokia, or Microsoft? 

I thought they weren't allowed to make stuff as part of the takeover of the phone division, or is that just phones and not tablets?  

It's only their smart phone division. They can make feature phones, and anything else really.

yes not allowed to make nokia named phones until end of 2015. so very short time. after that we will have nokia phones with android finally :)

this looks good couse ipad mini tablet is the perfect size for a tablet imo, its nokia and runs android . nice 

They've already stated they won't be returning to the smart phone space, and that they will be focusing on other things.
I guess those other things will be tablets, and perhaps wearables. 

Just hope that works out well for them.

The Verge posted an article if somebody is interested in reading it i will post the link. They say that it has a USB Type C !!! Oh yeeaah :D

Sure, it does look like iPad but that isn't bad at all is it? Didn't expect this from nokia at all. I mean I read just yesterday that they will not gonna make any more hardware products, or maybe they ment no more phones and I got that wrong. Anyway love that they are comming back and on android.

Welcome back Nokia! :)

The verge link: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7239709/nokia-n1-tablet-price-release-date

It does!

Pretty exciting. Even if it doesn't run at full tilt, not having to fumble around for the right side will be nice.

Though...it does mean I will have to make sure I don't misplace that cable...

Nexus 9 killer? Maybe not but still a good alternative.

That's what I initially thought as well, until I saw that it's only 7.9". Not quite, Nokia. You could have won me completely over.

whut? No I love my iPhone

Just not sure of the point of this.. , lookswise it rips off the ipad mini, and I would rather get a Nexus 9, Nvidia Shield tablet or iPad mini over the nokia and its atom

the only thing this carbon copy of an ipad has is that its the first thing i see with type c on it, though it will only feature 2.0 speeds and features not 3.1

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7239695/nokia-n1-first-tablet-with-reversible-usb 

While I agree that the Nexus 9 is better...it's also basically twice the price. Same with the Shield tablet, which possess a lot of features I'd simply never use.

This is an excellent option for those that want a tablet, with a nice design, running Android. Like myself.

I do like Apples design, however I'd never buy their devices because I don't like the OS (or company for that matter) for numerous reasons.

Although the spec are not bad, but not stand out either. With the tablet market so saturated now. Nokia needs some special features to sell, which isn't the case. Feels like an also-run. Unless if it can beat its opponents in price. I will take Nokia any day instead of shitty Chinese knock off. 

$250 for this is pretty cheap, at least when it comes to other aluminium tablets in the same size. They haven't made any serious hardware in a while. They're trying to get back into it.

It'll sell extremely well in China.

This isn't so much of being a competitor I don't think, I think its to show Nokia still can make stuff w/o M$

Nokia made excellent devices long before Microsofts money was involved.

Maybe this is just me, but I don't see the tablet market being saturated at all. At least not the >7" market.

I can't find a single ~10" tablet that I like. Samsung is pretty much the only one making ~10" tablets.

As soon as I saw that 4:3 screen I completely lost all interest in this. I just can't stand 4:3 tablet because they are awful. The USB type-C type connector is cool but it doesn't even run at the full specs so I don't really care for that either.

WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE THIS POS ASPECT RATIO!? IT'S BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!

Definitely agree. There are few companies that produce tablets that I'm actually interested in. This, though, is getting closer.

If they'd managed front facing speakers I'd be a lot happier with it. Not having to look when I plug in the cable would be nice as well.

I wish some Chinese companies would start pumping out 10"+ tablets with stock Android...that has an App drawer...

Personally I love 16:10 for tablets for I can see why some might think it's too wide. 3:2 is the perfect compromise. I can think of a few areas where 4:3 is better than 16:10, but I can't think of a single one where 4:3 is better than 3:2. I can think of plenty of instances were 3:2 is better than 4:3 though.

I'm not sure if I am missing something, or if manufacturers are just so obsessed with trying to follow Apple that they also copy the terrible aspects of the iPad.

It feels good that I am not alone in thinking this though. There might be some hope that Google realize their mistake and fixes it in the future.

They follow Apple because they have a track record of amazing sales. They can put out pretty much anything and as long as it has their logo on it, sales will follow.

While it doesn't make sense to the tech educated, those who aren't will see it and think "Hey, look at that. Looks like Apple but cheaper. I'll buy it."

It happens time and time again.

I understand why they're doing it to a degree. Get their feet back in the water so to speak.

Can't wait for Nokia in 2016.

If they were going to but that weird ass launcher on it they may as well have released it with windows.

They're trying to differentiate themselves somehow. You haven't even used it, how can you say you don't like it?
You'll go through life a lot happier with an open mind ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

$250 for this is pretty cheap, at least when it comes to other aluminium tablets in the same size. They haven't made any serious hardware in a while. They're trying to get back into it.

It'll sell extremely well in China.

I promise you I'm not trying to be "that guy" but £250 ≠ $250

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I promise you I'm not trying to be "that guy" but £250 ≠ $250

It pretty much is. UK pricing is notoriously on par with the USD value. If not higher.

Currency conversions when talking about products are not 1:1.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It pretty much is. UK pricing is notoriously on par with the USD value. If not higher.

Either way I agree with your sentiments about this being a nice tablet. Affordable, nice hardware and lollipop. With XDA support this could be a huge hit for tech people like us.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Totally, pretty much most US things end up being a similar figure but in £

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

While I agree that the Nexus 9 is better...it's also basically twice the price. Same with the Shield tablet, which possess a lot of features I'd simply never use.

This is an excellent option for those that want a tablet, with a nice design, running Android. Like myself.

I do like Apples design, however I'd never buy their devices because I don't like the OS (or company for that matter) for numerous reasons.

i never said myself the n9 was better but tbh i prefer it over this, plainly because i appreciate when someone isn't copying others, also 300 vs 250 is not that big of a difference between this and the shield tablet, lastly i wouldn't call a carbon copy a good design because it wasn't designed by them

FYI this thing is made and "designed" by foxconn, nokia is licensing its brand, i guess part of it, its making blog post of their own about it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i never said myself the n9 was better but tbh i prefer it over this, plainly because i appreciate when someone isn't copying others, also 300 vs 250 is not that big of a difference between this and the shield tablet, lastly i wouldn't call a carbon copy a good design because it wasn't designed by them

FYI this thing is made and "designed" by foxconn, nokia is licensing its brand, i guess part of it, its making blog post of their own about it

The second half of that was more directed towards you. Where can you get a Nexus 9 for $300? They're $449 for the 32gb model. As is the Shield Tablet.

Might as well compare apples to apples, if you're going to bother at all.

So you don't like the design of the Apple tablet then? Just because it's a copy doesn't mean the design isn't good.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I think they use 4:3 because it its all other aspects ratio inside of it

so 4:3 can display 3:2 perfectly, and 16:9 perfectly with only top and bottom black bars,

a 16:9 display, would have thick vertical black bars which are more intrusive than horizontal ones

<image>

That doesn't really make any sense. You can fit any aspect ratio into any aspect ratio if you add black bars. You can fit 4:3 into 16:10 if you want. It's not "perfect" if you have black bars.

I was not joking when I said 4:3 was not better than 3:2 in any way by the way. 3:2 is better for every single task I can think of. Reading (things like books), web browsing, gaming, movie watching etc.

To me, 4:3 tablets makes as much sense as 3 wheeled cars. I just don't see how anyone can be pleased with it when we have 4 wheeled (3:2) cars.

I think 4:3 is better for Web browsing, which is the only reason why I would use a tablet.

Most websites are thin and tall. You need to scroll less with for example a 3:2 tablet (assuming the same resolution on the narrower side).

have you been consuming mushrooms or something :) ?

my friend has the lg g pad 8.3''. ITS TERRIBLE. plain and simple TERRIBLE. when i browse the web in landscape mode i can`t see sh*t. there is a bar up and down and very small room for content

7.9 like the ipad mini is excelent

Holding it in landscape when web browsing is like holding it in portrait while watching a movie.

Hold the G pad in portrait while web browsing and the problem will be solved.

The second half of that was more directed towards you. Where can you get a Nexus 9 for $300? They're $449 for the 32gb model. As is the Shield Tablet.

Might as well compare apples to apples, if you're going to bother at all.

So you don't like the design of the Apple tablet then? Just because it's a copy doesn't mean the design isn't good.

the 300$ part was directed at the shield tablet not N9 and it is 300$ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM6KF7O/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0DXEHT4A9D2DFCNDSNC2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 for 16gb with microsd slot something the N1 doesn't have, the 32gb shield tablet does cost 400$ but also has LTE

and yes i do consider copying a good design to be a bad design regardless of who designed it first, because its a effortless decision, like i said this thing on hardware is badass for the price, but i won't support someone that tries to be something else, even less when the company that its putting its name on this product is the same that 10 years ago destroyed everybody with innovative designs 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

-snip-

Really? Let me show you how viewing a web page is on a 16:9 screen, my Note 3 is 16:9 afterall. All I did between these 2 screenshots is I changed the orientation of the phone.

2agn9jq.jpg

2diq1vn.jpg

16:9 is not good for web pages. 4:3 is better.