Quantum Computing does work...

ionbasa

trfgyhcj.jpg

^Graphical representation of the experiment.

(Phys.org) —A team of researchers working in South Africa has reported that they've successfully run Simon's algorithm on a quantum computer for the first time. In their paper published in Physical Review Letters, the team describes how they ran the algorithm, the results they found and what doing so means for the future of quantum computing.

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-simon-algorithm-quantum-timefaster-standard.html
and:

Regular readers of quantum-computing stories will know that D Wave has made controversial claims that it can solve some algorithms faster than classical computers using quantum annealing, but that those claims have become the subject of academic to-and-fro about their validity.

The new claim isn't anywhere near as startling: what the researchers from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Durban say is that they've demonstrated that a six-qubit quantum computer solves what's called Simon's algorithm in fewer iterations than a classical computer would require.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/17/simons_says_quantum_computing_iwilli_work/

Simon's theory is essentially an algorithm, that is theorized to be solved faster on a quantum computer, than a normal binary computer. In this case, the quantum computer finished the algorithm in two iterations, one less than a normal computer. The theory was only tested on 6 qbits by an south african team, but it is hypothesized that adding more qubits can reduce the compute time and required iterations. Of note is that due to the fact that quantum computers operate at a much slower 'frequency' than normal binary chips, that a normal CPU could probably reduce the required iterations or time to completion by throwing a higher clock speed at the problem, but once more qubits can be used to calculate Simon's theory, this may show that quantum computers are faster in some cases.

Currently, Simon's problem can be used to determine if quantum computers are indeed faster than classical computers, but expect a lot of controversy in the academic world. In my opinion this will most likely add fuel to the fire in the arguments and speculation regarding D-Wave's quantum computers.

The article can be read here for free: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1410.3859v1.pdf
It also explains the setup portrayed in the graphical representation above.

For those of you too  lazy to open the PDF, here is a description:

FIG. 1: Experimental setup. (a): Two photonic crystal fibres produce photon pairs which are fused using a polarizing beamsplitter (PBS) to generate the five-qubit entangled cluster state plus additional qubit 6 shown in (B). The cluster state consists of three polarization qubits, 1, 3 and 5 (s1, i2 and s2). The paths of photons s1 and s2 represent qubits 2 and 4 respectively. The algorithm is executed by measuring the path qubits in the Z or Y bases depending on the oracle’s black box using a Sagnac configuration (dashed regions). The output of the algorithm resides on qubits 1 and 5, and is obtained via polarization measurements. The setup is based on one recently used to generate a quantum error correction graph code [22], the main differences here being the use of an additional photon (qubit 6) and the waveplate configuration used to generate the different entangled resource.

I wish I could explain this in simpler terms, but some of this even escapes me. I'm not a theoretical physicist, but rather a mechanical engineer undergrad student. If anyone would like to chime in on this, please do, and I'll add you explaination to this OP.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

not gonna pretend that i understand this becuase i dont.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

U wot m8?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Oh yeah makes perfect sense.....

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Oh yeah makes perfect sense.....

Its just a math problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon's_problem

It finishes faster on quantum computers than normal computer. I'm not saying its easy, but knowing the idea behind how Turing machines and boolean math works, definitely helps.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I am both incredibly excited, and incredibly terrified of this technology.

I'm incredibly excited for the whole world of potential that quantum computing will bring to the world.. yet i'm incredibly terrified of it, because I know that the day that this becomes consumer (or enterprise standard), is the day that i'm out of a job. I simply don't understand math well enough to remain relevant in the job field this will bring about.

There was a time that I thought I wouldn't see it in my lifetime, but it's progressing much quicker than I thought it ever would.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I understood everything but the diagram :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Why the fuck are you posting this complicated shit? You trying to make me feel dumb?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I understood everything but the diagram :/

Same, diagram needs explaining.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Same, diagram needs explaining.

Found an explanation: http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.200501 The explanation is there if you open the images

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Clear as mud. :P

Very cool/interesting, none the less. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I thought D-Wave computers were already proven not to be true Qbit quantum computers?  This is great news though! as it proves it can be done in half the time so proving they are quicker (I never really had a doubt tbh)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Found an explanation: http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.200501 The explanation is there if you open the images

Got it, added the explanation to the OP.

I thought D-Wave computers were already proven not to be true Qbit quantum computers?  This is great news though! as it proves it can be done in half the time so proving they are quicker (I never really had a doubt tbh)

I don't believe they were using a D-wave computer, the study doesn't explicitly call out D-Wave, but the same Simon's Problem can be ran on the D-Wave to see if it does exhibit quantum speedup.

the diagram looks like a schematic for some kind of laser light test or something. Thats about as far as my understanding of this goes lol.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

the diagram looks like a schematic for some kind of laser light test or something. Thats about as far as my understanding of this goes lol.

And it is. They are using optical quantum computing with photons.

Someone should seriously do a quantum computer documentary(they probably already have). Explaining the principles behind it. All I know is that it is 1 0 or a 01 so it has 3 states. Also does anyone know if it's only possible with light, is it possible with other em waves and such?  

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Someone should seriously do a quantum computer documentary(they probably already have). Explaining the principles behind it. All I know is that it is 1 0 or a 01 so it has 3 states. Also does anyone know if it's only possible with light, is it possible with other em waves and such?  

It's possible with electrons AFAIK

Veritasium has a playlist about quantum computing here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkahZjV5wKe_dajngssVLffaCh2gbq55_

I don't believe they were using a D-wave computer, the study doesn't explicitly call out D-Wave, but the same Simon's Problem can be ran on the D-Wave to see if it does exhibit quantum speedup.

This is what I am wondering. D-Wave isn't a full quantum computer but instead uses quantum elements to improve performance (remember this from documentary). Making a traditional computer with quantum components instead of building a fully quantum computer.

So I don't think we have reached to holy grail of computing just yet although this is still advancing current technology.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

ylozva.jpg

Yeah...I don't do well with equations. Looks like Romulan to me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The thing that had been on my mind is that it took us a long time to continually refine classical computer architecture to get to where we are with it.

Quantum computing right now is in its infancy, and, as far as I know, has potential to be a lot faster than classical architecture in certain regards. When it eventually does become mainstream, I'm worried what it will mean for software developers and computer languages.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Also. Can't stop laughing at the annotations: "BS" and "PBS" (bullshit and pseudo bullshit, respectively).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.