Generic Mac Pro 2013 chatter.

Giac

am i missing something here? that only has 1 HDMI so how can it run 3 monitors? 

Thunderbolt.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yeah, it has 6 thunderbolt 2 ports, which support up to 20GB/s transfer speeds, and can power 4k displays. 

Thunderbolt.

ah rite. Well as far as hardware and price goes, Apple have been screwing there customers for years, now there doing it with something that's black and 9 inches.

Similar threads merged; also changed title to "generic Mac pro" to allow for other threads relating to the Mac to be merged with this one.

Its got a hole in the middle to throw your money into because you obviously don't know how to spend it.

I kind of like it. It's pretty beast too, Xeons and Xfire, naice.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Thunderbolt.

Yeah, I remember how media professionals have no use for internal storage. I mean, it's not like they work with huge files and would probably appreciate the option to not have to blow several hundred unnecessary dollars on an external thunderbolt HDD enclosure, when they've already had to spend $1000 more than for a non-Apple solution with identical hardware for the mac OS already...

Pretty sure professionals would be sure to be backing up to externals anyway...

The only thing that I actually think is bad about this Mac Pro is the location of the power button. Bit awkward to reach to the back of the device, even if it's on your table.

Yeah, I remember how media professionals have no use for internal storage. I mean, it's not like they work with huge files and would probably appreciate the option to not have to blow several hundred unnecessary dollars on an external thunderbolt HDD enclosure, when they've already had to spend $1000 more than for a non-Apple solution with identical hardware for the mac OS already...

It's very very rare to store data onboard. Apart from Haswell with it's 8 ports, I don't know anything that natively supports a large amount of drives without a RAID card or 3rd party controller chips. Look at LinusMediaGroup - huge RAID array of Seagate drives for network storage of all projects, one of the recording studios I've been in - Norco rack case with 48TB RAID 6 array. A colleagues wife who is a graphic designer uses a Thunderbolt based external drive station for storage.

It's very very rare to store data onboard. Apart from Haswell with it's 8 ports, I don't know anything that natively supports a large amount of drives without a RAID card or 3rd party controller chips. Look at LinusMediaGroup - huge RAID array of Seagate drives for network storage of all projects, one of the recording studios I've been in - Norco rack case with 48TB RAID 6 array. A colleagues wife who is a graphic designer uses a Thunderbolt based external drive station for storage.

They are most likely gonna end up with that asrock motherboard which had 22sata gen 3 ports. Thats crazy for a normal person but businesses must be kissing asrocks feet.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That looks like some kind of flying death robot that The Empire would have created. Apple has joined the dark side.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

It's quite impressive how they have managed to put so much hardware inside such a small enclosure. I can't even imagine how much they will charge for this. 

Is there such a thing as a 12 core Xeon?

Hate apple all you want but I'm kind of lost for words.

You could obviously build a more powerful PC for less money but it would be impossible too achieve such a form factor.

That cooling solution looks badass too. But considering all the hardware it has to cool I can't see how they could make it quieter than a jet engine.

You can connect up to 36 Thunderbolt devices of which 3 can be monitors.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It's quite impressive how they have managed to put so much hardware inside such a small enclosure. I can't even imagine how much they will charge for this. 

Is there such a thing as a 12 core Xeon?

Hate apple all you want but I'm kind of lost for words.

You could obviously build a more powerful PC for less money but it would be impossible too achieve such a form factor.

That cooling solution looks badass too. But considering all the hardware it has to cool I can't see how they could make it quieter than a jet engine.

Yeah - there are E7 series Xeon's running 10 cores and 20 threads. Virtualization anyone? 

If I had gone further I would have understood why they did this. Check this out guys

sDh3toY.png

Apple are the only company I know of capable of this kind of stuff. What I want to know is did they make a custom pcb or did AMD?

I am thinking amd. Apple are not really capable of that much. The old Mac Pro was stupidly laid out. The cpu and ram were on a separate pcb to the motherboard. What a stupid idea. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Hating on a company just to fit into the enthusiast scene... Let's not be about that here, it doesn't do us any favours :)

It's a factory built workstation, it was always going to be that and taking that into consideration I think they have actually done pretty good.

This will be aimed at commercial companies, some design businesses will probably be buying hundreds, paying someone else to build and maintain custom machines probably isn't worth it for them and then there is compatibility issues with software and data sharing or if components become obsolete.

I'm not a massive fan of Apple, and yes they don't produce the majority of their components, but more often than not they drive the market in terms of innovation.

I don't believe smartphones would be where they are today if it wasn't for the Iphone, it created the competition that forced companies like HTC and Samsung to produce better products, think of the butterfly effect, I'm pretty sure this design will inspire something even better on the enthusiast SFF market.

as someone who works in the media industry, you really don't know what you're talking about.

mac is the most widely used platform, and if its not stored on a server it is usually stored in a external system anyway.

again. media professionals.

This being the case, why did the older mac pro support up to 4 internal 3.5" drives, and why do manufacturers like ASrock produce motherboards with 22 onboard SATA/SAS ports? Yes, they use a third party chipset, but they're still internal. Have things really changed so much? Why is external RAID preferred over internal RAID when internal is cheaper and faster? I can see a case for network storage but even so, presumably the new mac pro is aimed at the same market as the old mac pro, and Apple certainly seemed to emphasise internal storage (among other things) with that one...

This being the case, why did the older mac pro support up to 4 internal 3.5" drives, and why do manufacturers like ASrock produce motherboards with 22 onboard SATA/SAS ports? Yes, they use a third party chipset, but they're still internal. Have things really changed so much? Why is external RAID preferred over internal RAID when internal is cheaper and faster? I can see a case for network storage but even so, presumably the new mac pro is aimed at the same market as the old mac pro, and Apple certainly seemed to emphasise internal storage (among other things) with that one...

external - large storage for multiple machines.

a professional almost always will be working with others. and regular backups are mandatory.

Looks like a bin to me. I bet a ton of people will throw their half empty starbucks cup in the mac now, and apple will make mad $$$ fixing all the soldered on stuff. Anyways, the people that bought Mac Pro's before will probably like this one too, to me it just looks terrible and and it'll probably be like 5000$

how can anyone find this thing attractive, it looks more like a trash can than a computer

Its very clean and simple, that is how I like case's to be.

As for the cost a lot of R&D went into this, and man hours so I would expect it to be pretty expensive at launch.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Its very clean and simple, that is how I like case's to be.

As for the cost a lot of R&D went into this, and man hours so I would expect it to be pretty expensive at launch.

Arguably unnecessary R&D since the mac OS is demonstrably compatible with the stock LGA 2011 parts already...

well there are some amazing workstations out there now. like BOXX. truth is it's against my nature as tech enthusiast to buy apple, but it is also against my nature as a designer not to admire the beauty of their design. they make nice stuff. overpriced. yes. terrible company politics. yes. patent trolls. yes. but ugly? hell no.  

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

well there are some amazing workstations out there now. like BOXX. truth is it's against my nature as tech enthusiast to buy apple, but it is also against my nature as a designer not to admire the beauty of their design. they make nice stuff. overpriced. yes. terrible company politics. yes. patent trolls. yes. but ugly? hell no.  

Yeah, I don't think it actually looks that bad. I'd be interested to see what kind of heat levels are being blown out the top though. That CPU is gonna have a TDP of 130W or so, plus whatever the GPUs are putting out...

its brilliant in my opinion, honestly i can say the did inovate and i wont be suprised that other companise will do this same thing to make powerful pcs smaller and who cares if upgradeable.... the target demographic for these wont even upgrade or even know how too 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled