Generic Mac Pro 2013 chatter.

Giac

Wow some people make me want to shoot my self in the head comparing apple to dell ( TO WAY OVERPRICED COMPANIES) think about it this way for $2000+ your getting a good spec computer. In 3 years you'll have a paper weight and heater for the winter. Since you cant upgrade it. For 2000 dollars build a computer thats faster and upgradable down the road.

Although you have a point, some people don't have the time nor the skill to do that. Alot of professional work environments would prefer a brand name computer than a home built, no matter the price difference.

You need to realise that these computers are not meant for enthusiasts, they're meant for the average joe who knows nothing, and doesn't care to learn about computers.

Also, the part about upgradable down the road only applies for a little while two before something is changed. A new socket, new RAM type, new data connector ETC. Obsolescence is a key part of our worlds nowadays.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

"Designed and Assembled in the U.S." That is one thing that Apple has kinda done right!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The bashing in this thread is just gross.  Blind hatred and narrow-mindedness.

Sure it's gonna cost two arms and two legs, upgrades will be either straight from Apple or nonexistent, and it's gonna put out a hell of a lot of heat under any kind of load.  I would never buy it.

But to say that only morons and technology novices would purchase this is absurd.

It's the only legitimate OS X workstation machine.  For those who make their living working with video editing or design programs on OS X, it's a big deal.  It's the ideal machine.

That's the target audience.  The people buying a device like this know what they're getting.  They understand the sacrifices they have to make.

Wake up people.  We all like to poke fun at Apple, and that's fine, but the unabashed mockery is disgusting.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Surely many here hate Apple but this really wowed me. Dat design, and especially when I saw that all 3 components have heat sink that transfers heat to the center which is then cooled by one giant fan on the top disguised as a cover, my mind=blown

Hopefully other companies institute this kind of method as well, unless if they patented it already xD

By the looks of it, you could probably get a dual cpu workstation pc for the same price of this (estimate from typical apple premium and how much they will up charge from the trash can design). Also, The amount of heat that system it will output and the cooling (if any) they put in it, appears very minimal. Sure it looks nice, but i would never want xeons and workstation gpus running under hot temps to the extent that they throttle.

What are you talking about? Fastest memory available? You can buy 3200MHz memory, which is quite alot faster than 1866MHz.

I think it's ecc memory which is server grade RAM.

I think it's ecc memory which is server grade RAM.

That doesn't make it faster. And ECC is just error correcting and it's not necessarily server memory, it's just what servers use.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I agree MdX MaxX. This is one legit OSX workstation which is great that apple finally refresh the product. One thing that I concern is ability to upgrade the machine. With it's older brother, you can buy an newer graphics card if you need more juice in your machine. With this design, I don't really see a way to upgrade it unless you have Apple do it for you. I believe they will have a solution for sure. I'm really curious how well the heat sink will work. Great job Apple.

Yes, you could build a system and run a Hackintosh however that is illegal.

Hackintoshes are not illegal.

EDIT: They are illegal, but Apple has not done anything about it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

*Yet

*Yet

It's been going on for years. If Apple wanted to do something, wouldn't they have done it already?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

*Yet

I would assume the only true way it becomes illegal, is if you sale Hackintoshes for your own personal gain. building one for your own personal use, is technically not illegal as you can buy all the compatible hardware and buy OSX from APPLE them selfs without owning a single product from them. I think they are more concerned at people that build them then turn around and sale them.

I guess what I am saying is, that there is a fine line between legal and illegal.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I would assume the only true way it becomes illegal, is if you sale Hackintoshes for your own personal gain. building one for your own personal use, is technically not illegal as you can buy all the compatible hardware and buy OSX from APPLE them selfs without owning a single product from them. I think they are more concerned at people that build them then turn around and sale them.

Who knows. Apparently it's against the terms of use of OSX in the EULA. 

Who knows. Apparently it's against the terms of use of OSX in the EULA. 

True that it is windspeed, that it is :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Finally, a MacPro update, after what, a bazillion years? It's about time they stepped away from the 5xxx series cards. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Reminds me of the black trashcan I just saw outside Starbucks :P

My friend just sent me this (he's pretty disappointed)

cn7XKGH.jpg?1

Just saw this, it's actually really impressive. 25cm tall! That's... Nothin'!

This is spectacular engineering, no matter what your feelings are about Apple, if you don't at least give them that then you should have your license to appreciate computing technology revoked!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The only thing we can hope with this machine is... ext TB gpu, RAID, PCIe, etc. ERMAHGERD

So, there are 3 pcbs, 2gpu and 1cpu. But why the heck is there flash memory installed on the gpu? o.O

Also, why the heck dual gpu? apple goes crazy, again.

The Pro line of products are aimed at devs (beit software/graphics) who need this sort of performance, and now they're really getting it (for a large price tag of course)

Hey I got a Mac Pro right next to me:

L11271874.jpg

I really don't understand why the Front/Back IO, On/Off switch and power cable are all on one side. Phil said that you'll have to turn it around to be able to use it, in fact the IO LEDs light up when you do so, but that's just very inconvenient and a terrible idea when you have all the power, display etc. cables already plugged in and yet you have to do it every time you want to turn the machine on or plug anything in. Probably the most convenient way to use it would be to reach around like you would if your PC had no front IO ports, which is stupid.

depends where you live, here in the EU they are totally legal.

Apple may not want you to do that but they can't make it illegal.

EULA's are not the law...every company in the world would love that very much

Hey I got a Mac Pro right next to me:

L11271874.jpg

I really don't understand why the Front/Back IO, On/Off switch and power cable are all on one side. Phil said that you'll have to turn it around to be able to use it, in fact the IO LEDs light up when you do so, but that's just very inconvenient and a terrible idea when you have all the power, display etc. cables already plugged in and yet you have to do it every time you want to turn the machine on or plug anything in. Probably the most convenient way to use it would be to reach around like you would if your PC had no front IO ports, which is stupid.

That probably outperforms it.