Is AMD about to destroy nVidia with the 300 series?

whitedragon101

Because comparing a 780ti to a 980 is not a direct comparison

If you want to compare a 780ti to something you need to wait for a 980ti

What, dare I ask, is the thought process behind this? The 980 is already faster than the 780 Ti. What does it matter if there's a 980 Ti or not? It's only going to be faster yet.

You're saying it like we always get a Ti version of the top GPU. Did they release 680Ti, 580Ti or a 480Ti? No.

Maybe we will only have 960Ti and something like 985 or 990? How can you assume that waiting will result in 980Ti being released. I just don't understand that.

You are assuming there won't be.

You are assuming there won't be.

I never said there won't be? But then again I never said there will be as well.

But you constantly keep talking like there will be one.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

As long as both nVidia and AMD implement a good Virtual Reality SLI mode I don't mind who wins ;)

Does VR not work with SLI/Crossfire now?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I never said there won't be? But then again I never said there will be as well.

But you constantly keep talking like there will be one.

I am merely pointing out that at this point condemning the 900 series as no faster than the 700 series can not hold yet.  This premise relies on the truth of one statement "there will not be a 980ti."

If you type nVidia 980ti into google you get a veritable avalanche of rumours. Hence my erring towards the side of waiting for a 980ti .  Probably best to at least withhold judgement until we know what is going to happen.

780ti ended up being similar power consumption to 290X, so I don't understand all the hate on AMD. Nvidia just had better reference cooler. 

Does VR not work with SLI/Crossfire now?

Normal SLI/Crossfire renders a single stream of frames using 2 GPU's.  This means you have tricky things to deal with like stuttering.  Do you get both GPU's to work on one frame then composite them or get the second GPU to work on the next predicted frame then output.  It all gets a bit tricky.

VR SLI could be awesome as in VR you need 2 images, one for each eye.  This is a perfect problem to parallelise.  nVidia have said they are implementing a VR SLI mode where each GPU renders 1 frame for each eye.  This could make SLI for VR super fast and lower latency than 1 GPU and sidestep the stuttering issue of getting 2 GPU's to work on one stream of frames.

I fucking hope so so they get some market share.

These fucking nvidia gameworks deals annoy me immensely and nvidia needs to be put in its place.

A lot of twimtb games run MUCH better on nvidia hardware , case in point batman origins.

I have to admit I do kind of hope Nvidia gets destroyed, simply because of their monopolistic business practices. Their marketing and brand cache is strong enough to withstand a vastly superior product from AMD if the 390 series turns out to be what the rumors suggest and AMD keeps with their practice of selling their cards at reasonable prices, but eventually most Nvidia fanboys will get restless if the AMD card is totally destroying their Nvidia card for pretty much the same price. features(gimmicks) can only go so far.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB