Is AMD about to destroy nVidia with the 300 series?

whitedragon101

I bet Nvidia is going to release the 980 ti a week after Amd releases the 390x, let them hold the best gpu title for a little while like they did last time

I bet Nvidia is going to release the 980 ti a week after Amd releases the 390x, let them hold the best gpu title for a little while like they did last time

The problem with that is the GTX 980 is full featured GM204. So Nvidia would have to launch an entirely new architecture in order for that to happen.

that's true but NVidia probably just has a storage locker that they pull new graphics cards out as they need, they are probably working on the 1400 series right now

If the leaks are true

Yes

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Ofc AMD 300 series will beat 980 and 970. Those cards almost have identical performance results with 780-780Ti. Current 900 cards are just efficient that's all, they don't outperform 700 series yet.

It is expected from the new AMD card to outperform 980 by %30-35 margin. Then NVIDIA will crush that card with 980Ti. Prices will get lower and everyone will be happy.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

In the GPU department AMD seems to be about performance and pricing, Nvidia is about slick marketing and "features"(IE gimmicks). That's why I tend to prefer AMD for GPUs. AMD seems poised to leapfrog Nvidia with the 390x. Eventually Nvidia will catch up, probably sooner than rather than later.

You can bet that once Nvidia does catch up with a 20nm card of their own the marketing and hyped up rollout will have their fanboys in a frenzy.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Yeah I think AMD's gonna make those guys who rushed to buy the 970 regret it fairly quickly 

I doubt they will beat NVidia.

Their 300 series is probably gonna take a shitton of power and run crazily hot.

You do realize AMD's new architecture is nearly as efficient as Maxwell right (on same process node)?! 20nm also increases efficiency as does HBM giving AMD the advantage theoretically let's see how things go, oh and incase of somehow they F it up, rumors are also saying AMD's gonna have a reference model watercooled as an option so this time they even have a better cooler...  You're being really really pessimistic

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I hope so. AMD has nothing new going on for processors, so hopefully they can do some magic in the gpu world

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I cant believe people are predicting performance about future GPU's...

I have leaked images from Gabe Newells up coming GPU project, its called the STEAM GT 9000x.

968159803.jpg

Well i reaally hope that AMD will take on nVidia :D

btw i like both of them but i hope AMD will give a hard time to nVidia

We just want moaar transistors.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Ofc AMD 300 series will beat 980 and 970. Those cards almost have identical performance results with 780-780Ti. Current 900 cards are just efficient that's all, they don't outperform 700 series yet.

It is expected from the new AMD card to outperform 980 by %30-35 margin. Then NVIDIA will crush that card with 980Ti. Prices will get lower and everyone will be happy.

What are you talking about? Maxwell has less power and more performance. OFC it beats the 700 series. They even proved it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I really really really reaally really hope so. Like seriously. For the entertainment value, and also so I have an excuse to buy a new GPU.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

I cant believe people are predicting performance about future GPU's...

I have leaked images from Gabe Newells up coming GPU project, its called the STEAM GT 9000x.

968159803.jpg

Not trying to offend you, but that is actually the 9001x series.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

What are you talking about? Maxwell has less power and more performance. OFC it beats the 700 series. They even proved it.

I said efficient already. That doesn't make it magically better than 700 series.

980 is roughly equal to 780Ti and 970 is roughly equal to 780. Go check some benchmarks, you don't have to take my word for it.

Here let me help you;

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/03/14/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ghz-edition-review/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,1.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_directcu_ii_review,1.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/1.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Ti_Gaming/1.html

Do you honestly believe that they beat 700 series GPUs in every game by a noticeable margin? Especially when you look high resolution benchmarks there is not even a difference... 900 series might be scoring better at 1080P gaming in some situations but honestly they fall quickly when you increase the resolution. I would say at best there maybe only overall %10 difference, and that's a maybe.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

by the nature of getting smaller (20nm) it will use less power. The only reasons people have this perception of AMD running warm is the R9 stock cooler issue.

This. It's funny how many people don't seem to remember Fermi and the heat/noise that those cards produced. Basically every aftermarket R9 290 runs totally fine and power consumption is not as bad as people make it out to be (R9 290 = gtx 780ti in this regard, and I don't see too many people "warning" other from buying a 780ti).

980ti won't happen, the "ti" cards are fully unlocked chips, but the "small" 980 is already fully unlocked. We'll probably see a new titan after the R9 390x releases, and then the 1000-series from Nvidia featuring the big Maxwell chips. Then we'll see a "gimped" titan as a 1080 and a fully unlocked, titan-esque performance card (without double precision and maybe with less VRAM) as the 1080ti.

Do you honestly believe that they beat 700 series GPUs in every game by a noticeable margin?

I took your link and crunched the numbers comparing a 780 against the 980.  We don't have a 980ti yet to compare against the 780ti.  I also only took the 4k results as you mentioned the high resolutions.

bit-tech 980 review

Battlefield 4 @ 4k

980 = 41 fps = +24%

780 = 31 fps

Bioshock Infinite 4k

980 = 43 fps = + 24%

780 = 33 fps

crysis 3 4k

980 = 23 fps = +17%

780 = 19 fps

skyrim V 4k

980 = 72 fps = +11%

780 = 64 fps

unigine valley 1.0 1440p (They didn't have a 4K benchmark)

980 = 3047 = +18%

780 = 2487

So the 980 was 24%, 24%, 17%, 11%, 18% faster.  The average improvement is therefore 19% .

Especially when you look high resolution benchmarks there is not even a difference... 900 series might be scoring better at 1080P gaming in some situations but honestly they fall quickly when you increase the resolution. 

I ran the bit-tech numbers for 1080p and I won't put them all here but the average improvement is 18%.  Which means that as you go to the higher resolutions the gap actually very slightly widens between the 780 and 980.  (1% could also be considered a margin of error )

980 is roughly equal to 780Ti and 970 is roughly equal to 780.

Did you read this at all? Like literally?

Why do you even try to show me the difference between 980 and 780 while I already said that 780 is roughly equal to 970. Where is the logic in that...

This is a really dumb argument. Maxwell cards are enormously superior to Kepler in performance per Watt, but since Nvidia opted not to grace us with a SKU in the 200-250 Watt range, the products we actually have are cheaper ways to get 780 and 780 Ti performance levels.

I'm aware I'm pointing out that obvious, but that seems to be what this thread calls for.

Did you read this at all? Like literally?

Why do you even try to show me the difference between 980 and 780 while I already said that 780 is roughly equal to 970. Where is the logic in that...

Because comparing a 780ti to a 980 is not a direct comparison

If you want to compare a 780ti to something you need to wait for a 980ti

You continually say 700 series and 900 series.  Model for model the 900 series are faster by a noticeable margin.  We don't have the full set yet to do a 780ti to 980ti.  But the 970 and 980 are improvements.

you need to wait for a 980ti

Assuming that it will ever be released... Yeah, then we'll talk.

Assuming that it will ever be released... Yeah, then we'll talk.

We had to wait for a 780ti it stands to reason we will have to wait for the 980ti . Although with all the problems maybe they will shake up the normal release pattern.

Regardless of what camp you're from and how hard of a fan boy you are, competition is good. It's simple economics, competition leads to lower prices and better products. AMD will release something that beats the 980 and then nvidia will lower prices and release something that beast whatever AMD launches. Remember the 780? and then 290x launched and prices were severely cut and we saw the 780ti. All of this helped the consumer and cut down on nVidia's price gouging.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Regardless of what camp you're from and how hard of a fan boy you are, competition is good. It's simple economics, competition leads to lower prices and better products. AMD will release something that beats the 980 and then nvidia will lower prices and release something that beast whatever AMD launches. Remember the 780? and then 290x launched and prices were severely cut and we saw the 780ti. All of this helped the consumer and cut down on nVidia's price gouging.

As long as both nVidia and AMD implement a good Virtual Reality SLI mode I don't mind who wins ;)

We had to wait for a 780ti it stands to reason we will have to wait for the 980ti . Although with all the problems maybe they will shake up the normal release pattern.

You're saying it like we always get a Ti version of the top GPU. Did they release 680Ti, 580Ti or a 480Ti? No.

Maybe we will only have 960Ti and something like 985 or 990? How can you assume that waiting will result in 980Ti being released. I just don't understand that.