Is AMD about to destroy nVidia with the 300 series?

whitedragon101

I keep seeing reports like this :

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/76869-upcoming-amd-r9-390x-fiji-geforce-gtx-960-details-leak/

They all seem to say 4 things :

1) 20nm cards

2) Newer architecture

3) Huge number of stream processors (4096)

4) Massive memory bandwidth from HBM tech

nVidia wanted 20nm and it didn't pan out.  nVidia wanted stacked memory and they bet on the wrong processes.

When you add all that up it sounds like it could be more than just the normal tit for tat AMD or nVidia being a bit faster than the other.  It sounds the 300 series AMD cards might totally annihilate the nVidia current gen.

I doubt they will beat NVidia.

Their 300 series is probably gonna take a shitton of power and run crazily hot.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Lets hope so I think it would be good for both companys; Boost for AMD and will kick Nvidia into gear.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Let's wait until release and benchmarks are out before we decide, ok?

I will be slightly better but consume more power and lack features in nvidia cards. (it has been this way for the last few generations and I don't see it changing soon)

Also, Nvidia will probably release a 980ti if they get beat in any way.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

by the nature of getting smaller (20nm) it will use less power. The only reasons people have this perception of AMD running warm is the R9 stock cooler issue.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Lets hope so I think it would be good for both companys; Boost for AMD and will kick Nvidia into gear.

Exactly.

I'm not a fanboy of any company, I want competition to force them to put out good products. 

System: Thinkpad T460

I hope so. (Not that I hate Nvidia or anything, I just love seeing competition. More competition = better performance at lower prices.)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I really hope so, but it's really hard to tell at the moment

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Probably not "destroy", but enough to get nVidia back into high gear. Which is a good thing, we don't want one company being way too ahead of another.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I'm guessing it'll have like a 400w TDP

"time to play battlefield 5 at 4k with my crossfire r9 390x's! oh wait, i havent paid the power bill"

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

I will state with a reasonable amount of speculation and truth based on the past that the next AMD high end offering will be around 5 to 10fps faster ... "IN SOME GAMES" than a GTX 980 and the 980 will be a bit faster in others. Then nvidia will pull a new top dog GPU out their ass and once again have the top dog single high end GPU. AMD will counter with a dual GPU beast that will be the fastest GPU in the world.

by the nature of getting smaller (20nm) it will use less power. The only reasons people have this perception of AMD running warm is the R9 stock cooler issue.

So true. Put that shit cooler on an nvidia 780ti and it would be just as hot as the AMD part.

They will reclaim the crown for the fastest cards on the market once again. It's a constant trade back and forth. Tho unless Nvidia has something to fill the time gap between now and Pascal, AMD might hold the title for the highest performing cards on the market for about a year.

I'm guessing it'll have like a 400w TDP

"time to play battlefield 5 at 4k with my crossfire r9 390x's! oh wait, i havent paid the power bill"

Lol... I will say it for a second time, Smaller die = less heat requirments (20nm). Stop 

that sound like 80% of their cards xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Well, I still don't want AMD to beat NVidia. Simple. It would amaze me if AMD brought back ATI. Then that would be some REAL news.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My real question is whether or not AMD is using die stacked HBM.

And I too wish that AMD would bring back the ATi name.

Lol... I will say it for a second time, Smaller die = less heat requirments (20nm). Stop 

But AMD=Brute force

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

I doubt it, but saying they will "run hotter" and "consume more power" is simply biased towards Nvidia.

I'm guessing the 390X will have a TDP of around 200-225W and the fact that they're using HBM contributes to the lower power. Also this is going to be on the 20nm node as well, IIRC Maxwell is still 28nm.

Plus with a new architecture, the stream processors could potentially be more efficient like we saw with Maxwell. If it actually turns out to have a 4096 SPs that would undoubtedly blow Nvidia out of the water.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

My real question is whether or not AMD is using die stacked HBM.

And I too wish that AMD would bring back the ATi name.

Welcome to the forums?

Also yes all indications say that it will be using HBM. with a 4096bit bus.

Don't bother trying to explain to fanboys.

They refuse to acknowledge that Nvidia had overheating problems with their earlier series but will bash AMD because fanboyism.

But AMD=Brute force

facepalm.jpeg go fanboy somewhere else.

Does nobody remember the 480gtx heat issues?

So true. Put that shit cooler on an nvidia 780ti and it would be just as hot as the AMD part.

But how could they fuck up a blower-cooler so bad?

It's transistor density is 15% higher than a 780 and aren't as efficient.

Nvidias better... Wait new AMD cards are out; they kill the nvidia GPUs... No wait Nvidia 1000 series has just been revealed; 200% better performance... OMG AMD R1000 990x4 was just announced!

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)