Nvidia jumps 13% from last quarter, Intel up 11.6%, AMD slips 7%

dnfx4y.jpg

Attach%20raterev2.jpg

Quick report highlights:

• AMD's overall unit shipments decreased 7% quarter-to-quarter, Intel's total shipments increased 11.6% from last quarter, and Nvidia's jumped 12.9%.
  • The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs, for the quarter was 155% (up 2%) and 32% of PCs had discrete GPUs, (flat from last quarter), which means 68% of PCs today are using the embedded graphics in the CPU.
  • The overall PC market increased 6.9% quarter-to-quarter, and decreased 2.6% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs increased 7.8% from last quarter.

The quarter in general

• AMD's shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs increased 10.5% from the previous quarter, and decreased 16% in notebooks. AMD's discrete desktop shipments decreased 19% and notebook discrete shipments increased 10%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 7%.
  • Intel's desktop processor embedded graphics (EPGs) shipments decreased from last quarter by 0.3%, and notebooks increased by 18.6%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 11.6%.
  • Nvidia's desktop discrete shipments increased 24.3% from last quarter; and the company's notebook discrete shipments increased 3.5%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 12.9%.
  • Year-to-year this quarter AMD's overall PC shipments decreased 24%, Intel increased 19%, Nvidia decreased 4%, and the others essentially are too small to measure.
  • Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments from the last quarter increased 6.6%, and decreased 7.7% from last year. Sales of discrete GPUs fluctuate due to a variety of factors (timing, memory pricing, etc.), new product introductions, and the influence of integrated graphics. Overall, the trend for discrete GPUs has increased with a CAGR from 2014 to 2017 now of 3%.
  • Ninety nine percent of Intel's non-server processors have graphics, and over 66% of AMD's non-server processors contain integrated graphics; AMD still ships integrated graphics chipsets (IGPs).

Year-to-year for the quarter, the graphics market has decreased. However, shipments were up 7.8 million units from this quarter last year, which is the biggest increase in quite a while.

Source 1: http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/nvidia-jumps-13-from-last-quarter-intel-up-11.6-amd-slips-7-reports-jpr/

Source 2: http://www.techpowerup.com/207180/big-swing-in-market-share-from-amd-to-nvidia-jpr.html

We all know the 900 series had everything to do with this nice percentage increase for NVIDIA. Good for them, now let's see what Big Maxwell does to the numbers!

well has amd release there next gen cards yet? i expect their market share to increase once its released

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm surprised they still dropped 7% dispite everything new from Apple (desktop side) using their GPU's.

I wonder the results after AMD releases Carrizo if they play their cards right.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm surprised they still dropped 7% dispite everything new from Apple (desktop side) using their GPU's.

That's because about 80 people bought those computers since release lol. Apple does not need to sell many computers to make bucket load of money like they do. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Nvidia has been a bit of a roller coaster in recent months, but feels like it should be in for a large upswing this quarter.

And my portfolio will love it.  :rolleyes:

nvda.png

Cheers,

Linus

I'm so glad I have Nvidia stock, also the dividends they give out are no joke.

Disclaimer: I own Nvidia stock, #GamerGate

Nvidia has been a bit of a roller coaster in recent months, but feels like it should be in for a large upswing this quarter.

And my portfolio will love it.  :rolleyes:

nvda.png

My god... I track the major tech company stocks and I NEVER KNEW Nvidia paid dividends, jesus I must be retarded. 

33213b376f4d3ef0253ea557e36416b5.png

Time to buy.... '

Unfortunately the rest of my capital is sitting in 3 different stocks... and 1 ETF. Only have a couple of hundred for this transaction atm.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Unfortunately the rest of my capital is sitting in 3 different stocks... and 1 ETF. Only have a couple of hundred for this transaction atm.

That's probably for the better, it's a risky stock IMO, very volatile in short term.

Cheers,

Linus

That's probably for the better, it's a risky stock IMO, very volatile in short term.

Doesn't matter for me really, it's basically at a all time high for this year. I'm just jumping in for the dividends benefits. 

Whatever I make off of them will probably be for eating a meal or something... Everything else I own is pretty stable or has easy to read volatility.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Huh? If you mean iMacs, those fall under mobile (I know! IT MAKES NO SENSE!) If you mean the Mac Pro, so few people buy those...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So sell high buy low not a thing you're interested in trying?

Cash out some of your Nvidia assets and diversify into AMD.

My god... I track the major tech company stocks and I NEVER KNEW Nvidia paid dividends, jesus I must be retarded. 

Time to buy.... '

Um, no, this is exactly the wrong time to be buying Nvidia. You have Intel about to release the Knight's Landing CPUs and Xeon Phis which are 10-12 Teraflop monsters, knowing Nvidia almost clean out of the accelerator market for a good while, you have AMD about to release Carrizo with HBM onboard, which is going to make Tegra look very bad very fast, the 300 series with HBM, which is going to throttle Maxwell pretty hard and move some eyes in the accelerator world where bandwidth is 10x the problem it is for gaming, and Nvidia doesn't have a strong counter move until Pascal. This is exactly the wrong time to buy Nvidia. It's going to take a heavy hit in 2015.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Um, no, this is exactly the wrong time to be buying Nvidia. You have Intel about to release the Knight's Landing CPUs and Xeon Phis which are 10-12 Teraflop monsters, knowing Nvidia almost clean out of the accelerator market for a good while, you have AMD about to release Carrizo with HBM onboard, which is going to make Tegra look very bad very fast, the 300 series with HBM, which is going to throttle Maxwell pretty hard and move some eyes in the accelerator world where bandwidth is 10x the problem it is for gaming, and Nvidia doesn't have a strong counter move until Pascal. This is exactly the wrong time to buy Nvidia. It's going to take a heavy hit in 2015.

I mean time to buy for myself lol. 

I can hold $700 for years I don't mind. This is a minuscule amount of money invested. I'm mostly monitoring the solar industry atm. 

I mean time to buy for myself lol. 

I can hold $700 for years I don't mind. This is a minuscule amount of money invested. I'm mostly monitoring the solar industry atm. 

I'd wait for the AMD 300 series to land and see Nvidia's stock tumble just a bit and then jump if you're sure you're gonna jump.

I'd wait for the AMD 300 series to land and see Nvidia's stock tumble just a bit and then jump if you're sure you're gonna jump.

That would be the best course of action, but what can I say? I'm retarded! Hahahaha

No really though, I don't mind holding this small portion of NVDA for 2 - 3 years. I've got large stakes in Solar Companies right now so I'm not worried about $700 going out in Nvidia. 

I'm sorry but if you think product launches somehow have large effects on a company's stock you must be out of your mind, it's trends in their profitablity, AMD has not been profitable for years.  Nvidia has been extremely profitable these past few years, they have held a noticeable majority in the discrete GPU market for years, and they frequently get huge purchases of GPU accelerators for supercomputing.  And not only do they invest alot of money back into the gamers who use their products, they also give back to their shareholders.  Stocks are more than just products my boy.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I'm sorry but if you think product launches somehow have large effects on a company's stock you must be out of your mind, it's trends in their profitablity, AMD has not been profitable for years. Nvidia has been extremely profitable these past few years, they have held a noticeable majority in the discrete GPU market for years, and they frequently get huge purchases of GPU accelerators for supercomputing. And not only do they invest alot of money back into the gamers who use their products, they also give back to their shareholders. Stocks are more than just products my boy.

You're slow on the uptake. The soonest Nvidia will have a competitive product is mid-2016. Pascal is the first architecture on Nvidia's side which will have HBM included. For someone less tech savvy like yourself, allow me to educate you on why that matters: currently supercomputer applications are I/O bound and bandwidth-bound. HBM is more than 3x the bandwidth of standard GDDR5 while also using less power. It's a perfect storm for Nvidia to lose huge deals in the market for a couple years. That is a trend, and a very predictable one. Nvidia's stocks will take a hit when the 300s series launches because the FirePros will immediately follow and trounce Nvidia's current Tesla offerings.

If you can't read the writing on the wall for what that will do to Nvidia's growth over the next 6 quarters, you're not someone anyone should currently listen to regarding investments in the tech world.

Furthermore, AMD is quickly getting out from under its debts, and Carrizo is looking like a more than competitive option for the mobile gaming market. All signs point to stronger AMD in 2015 with a stagnated if not deflated Nvidia.

You're slow on the uptake. The soonest Nvidia will have a competitive product is mid-2016. Pascal is the first architecture on Nvidia's side which will have HBM included. For someone less tech savvy like yourself, allow me to educate you on why that matters: currently supercomputer applications are I/O bound and bandwidth-bound. HBM is more than 3x the bandwidth of standard GDDR5 while also using less power. It's a perfect storm for Nvidia to lose huge deals in the market for a couple years. That is a trend, and a very predictable one. Nvidia's stocks will take a hit when the 300s series launches because the FirePros will immediately follow and trounce Nvidia's current Tesla offerings.

If you can't read the writing on the wall for what that will do to Nvidia's growth over the next 6 quarters, you're not someone anyone should currently listen to regarding investments in the tech world.

Furthermore, AMD is quickly getting out from under its debts, and Carrizo is looking like a more than competitive option for the mobile gaming market. All signs point to stronger AMD in 2015 with a stagnated if not deflated Nvidia.

Holy shit, LukaP is right about you.

Perhaps you should drop the arrogance, mate. It kinda gives you away...

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Time to buy.... '

Pls make a mini guide on stock/shares (w.e.) that explains it simply :D

Pls make a mini guide on stock/shares (w.e.) that explains it simply :D

Investopedia is a great site for learning. 

If you want to learn more PM me. 

Investopedia is a great site for learning. 

If you want to learn more PM me. 

Is there something you know of that's more basic and simple xD? Like an article that has a step by step guide on how to actually do the investing part of it not figuring out what is good investments etc.

Is there something you know of that's more basic and simple xD? Like an article that has a step by step guide on how to actually do the investing part of it not figuring out what is good investments etc.

How are you gonna invest if you can't tell what's good to invest in? I never learned off of articles, I just did self study on various sites(books too).