How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

You will be fine. The Pentium is a great temporary processor that will serve you well in the meantime. I would also like to point out that this map, I believe its Welcome to the Jungle. Is one of the few very well multithreaded maps in the game so of course a Pentium's performance will tank. The vast majority of users ezperience excellent results for what the processor is and for you, as a stopgap, it is a great buy. Much better to buy a high end GPU paired with a Z motherboard and pentium with the intention to upgrade to an i5 or i7 than going with an i5 + R9 280.

it is an intense map but the entire crysis 3 is a very intensive game and all the maps are ''multithreaded'' this depend on the game engine and how the game process the data..not on the ''map''...and also i truly believe that even as a plceholder a cheaper h97 motherboard with a core i3-4150 for example is a better choice and you can still upgrade the cpu to an i5, an i7 or an hyperthreaded xeon.

heck even a fx4300 runs those games bester i've tested it for myself.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it was done on the i7 disabling 2 cores along with hyperthreading in the uefi, so the cpu was even given full access to 8mb of cache clocked at 4.4ghz

and yes watchdogs defenetly runs butter smooth at 1080p with 4.2ghz i7 and gtx780...in fact it even does it while recording here's the proof, the i7 is the last cpu i've tested in this video:

Lol medium textures and FXAA aren't exactly what I'd call ultra...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lol medium textures and FXAA aren't exactly what I'd call ultra...

still the gpu was not being limited by the cpu, ultra textures wont impact the framerate only the vram usage amount...what's your point?

i used fxaa only to be able to show the cpu performance difference.

ALL the other settings where at max.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I sometimes wonder if people think that because a cpu has intel written on it and it can overclock, that its meant for current high end gaming...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I sometimes wonder if people think that because a cpu has intel written on it and it can overclock, that its meant for current high end gaming...

thats exactly what they think, and what is not helping is that when the g3258 came out, all the reviewers tested it in gpu bound situations with mid or low end gpu in games that where not cpu intensive at all (including linus btw who claimed it was performing almost as well as an i7 in games in a video review)

still the gpu was not being limited by the cpu, ultra textures wont impact the framerate only the vram usage amount...what's your point?

i used fxaa only to be able to show the cpu performance difference.

ALL the other settings where at max.

If the game taxes your system when it shouldn't I wouldn't consider it "proof" that the 3258 isn't a valid cpu... and no, the textures in the video where set to "high" to make sure you didn't fill more than 3gb of vram at 1080p, which is ubviously ridiculous considering how the game looks...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If the game taxes your system when it shouldn't I wouldn't consider it "proof" that the 3258 isn't a valid cpu... and no, the textures in the video where set to "high" to make sure you didn't fill more than 3gb of vram at 1080p, which is ubviously ridiculous considering how the game looks...

this is a youtube 30fps low detail video bro, the game looks amazing when rendered at 1080p 60fps on my machine i swear even with ''only'' the high texture setting.

i think you should try it out it's a very beautiful game and fun as well...people with i5 complained it run bad and unoptimised and shit like that...its not, its just a demanding open world modern game.

this is a youtube 30fps low detail video bro, the game looks amazing when rendered at 1080p 60fps on my machine i swear even with ''only'' the high texture setting.

i think you should try it out it's a very beautiful game and fun as well...people with i5 complained it run bad and unoptimised and shit like that...its not, its just a demanding open world modern game.

Totalbiscuit says it runs poorly and at the time he had sli titans and an i7... either way this is going off topic, let's just close off this conversation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have recommended the Pentium before as a stop gap, but i also mentioned the CPU could provide enough performance in today's games, i don't know many people who actually play Crysis 3.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Totalbiscuit says it runs poorly and at the time he had sli titans and an i7... either way this is going off topic, let's just close off this conversation.

the game was not even supporting sli when he did his video review and the cpu he used was a sandy bridge e chip at stock speed...this is the reason why.

anyways...as my video proves it the g3258 struggle in most modern games incluging very well optimised games like battlefield4, far cry 3, crysis 3 and metro LL...how do you explain that?

i also had a video of assassins creed unity the gpu load was low and the game was stuttering but the recording was bad i guess the game is too new for shadowplay.

anyways...as my video proves it the g3258 struggle in most modern games incluging very well optimised games like bf4, far cry 3, crysis 3 and metro LL...how do you explain that?

Again, it's not a cpu to pair with a 780. With a lower end card, and more moderate settings, it's not a bottleneck at all (or almost) and it's 70 bucks, which for budget gamers is a dream come true.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Again, it's not a cpu to pair with a 780. With a lower end card, and more moderate settings, it's not a bottleneck at all (or almost) and it's 70 bucks, which for budget gamers is a dream come true.

what a dream it was indeed...

anyways...these are better kits for modern gaming that wont cost much more:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $177.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 13:53 EST-0500

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($86.47 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $151.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 13:56 EST-0500

you can argue all you want but at least those won't stutter like crazy and offer a much better and smooter gaming experience for budget builds.

A G3258 at 4.5 GHz can actually play Crysis 3 on High (but not Very High) system spec pretty smoothly if you introduce a 30 FPS frame cap and use adaptive V-Sync with an Nvidia card.

But yeah, doing that you might as well use a $100 GTX 750 Ti (what was used in the video) instead of spending $350 on a GTX 970, like you said.

I had better results with 4.9GHz though.

anyways...as my video proves it the g3258 struggle in most modern games incluging very well optimised games like battlefield4, far cry 3, crysis 3 and metro LL...how do you explain that?

Just like @Sauron said a 780 doesn't fit a G3258 at all, something like a GTX 750 Ti is perfect which is hardly able to provide 30-40 fps in all of the games you tested which would also force you to lower the settings dramatically. A 750 Ti will be much easier to crack the maximum load than a 780. It wouldn't make a lot of sense testing i3's with some GM200 Titans in SLI and claim afterwards its a bottleneck or not adequate at all when the cards costed 20 times more than the CPU.

it is an intense map but the entire crysis 3 is a very intensive game and all the maps are ''multithreaded'' this depend on the game engine and how the game process the data..not on the ''map''...and also i truly believe that even as a plceholder a cheaper h97 motherboard with a core i3-4150 for example is a better choice and you can still upgrade the cpu to an i5, an i7 or an hyperthreaded xeon.
heck even a fx4300 runs those games bester i've tested it for myself.

Pretty sure the first map is nowhere near close to the 2nd map 'in the jungles' in terms of CPU usage. Managing getting CPU bottlenecks there at 10-20% load with 720p/low settings where as in the 2nd map I'm rocking 75% on my 3930K.

Try downclocking the GPU to the levels of a 750 Ti, measure it with Unigine heaven, then go ahead lower the settings to try to maintain 60 fps. Also you gotta make sure you don't have lots of crap running in the background, I disabled like 30 apps before I recorded it, those G3258's are sensitive to it.

I had better results with 4.9GHz though.

Just like @Sauron said a 780 doesn't fit a G3258 at all, something like a GTX 750 Ti is perfect which is hardly able to provide 30-40 fps in all of the games you tested which would also force you to lower the settings dramatically. A 750 Ti will be much easier to crack the maximum load than a 780. It wouldn't make a lot of sense testing i3's with some GM200 Titans in SLI and claim afterwards its a bottleneck or not adequate at all when the cards costed 20 times more than the CPU.

Pretty sure the first map is nowhere near close to the 2nd map 'in the jungles' in terms of CPU usage. Managing getting CPU bottlenecks there at 10-20% load with 720p/low settings where as in the 2nd map I'm rocking 75% on my 3930K.

Try downclocking the GPU to the levels of a 750 Ti, measure it with Unigine heaven, then go ahead lower the settings to try to maintain 60 fps. Also you gotta make sure you don't have lots of crap running in the background, I disabled like 30 apps before I recorded it, those G3258's are sensitive to it.

i'm fully aware that this cpu should only be paired with low end gpus...the problem is that its not,..many newbies on this forum recommend it all over the place and match it to high end gpus...as ive mentionned already i have seen it matched with gtx970...where a core i5-4460 and an r9 280x for example would make a much more capable gaming machine...

also yes this has to be one of the most demanding part of the game hence the reson i picked it...i dont know about the first map but i know for a fact that further into the game other very intensive maps are dressed as well..

what a dream it was indeed...

anyways...these are better kits for modern gaming that wont cost much more:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $177.97

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 13:53 EST-0500

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($86.47 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $151.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 13:56 EST-0500

you can argue all you want but at least those won't stutter like crazy and offer a much better and smooter gaming experience for budget builds.

It would be better to spend some more for a Core i3 4150.

It has 4 threads even though it is locked. 

As a permenant solution, I whole-heartedly agree; but the G3258 is really in a place where it should be upgraded ASAP -- i.e. it's just a stop-gap chip to hold someone over until they can afford something better. 

Wouldn't a 760k be better than a 4300? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

As a permenant solution, I whole-heartedly agree; but the G3258 is really in a place where it should be upgraded ASAP -- i.e. it's just a stop-gap chip to hold someone over until they can afford something better. 

Wouldn't a 760k be better than a 4300? 

no the 4300 has more cache and is a little better at running games.

i'm fully aware that this cpu should only be paired with low end gpus...the problem is that its not,..many newbies on this forum recommend it all over the place and match it to high end gpus...as ive mentionned already i have seen it matched with gtx970...where a core i5-4460 and an r9 280x for example would make a much more capable gaming machine...

also yes this has to be one of the most demanding part of the game hence the reson i picked it...i dont know about the first map but i know for a fact that further into the game other very intensive maps are dressed as well..

I havent tried enough games out to pull enough conclusions out but a 4430 & 280x will perform better than a G3258 & 970 in Watch Dogs eg. Something thats very light on the CPU and lets say the G3258 doesn't bottleneck, a G3258/970 combo will be better there. Lately those new AAA titles are just CPU hogs failing to be light on the CPU & GPU limited and the G3258 is suffering really bad from this. 

If you'd be looking at MMO's or just any form of a massive multiplayer game that only uses 1-2 cores a G3258 with a 970 will perform better than a 4430/280x - heck even with a G3258 & 750 Ti it will do better.

So lets say a 280x & 4430 are the same price as a 970/G3258, well you'll end up upgrading that 280x in a year time or that G3258 after a year orsomething considering the 970 will last much longer than a 280x -> you're landing in the end with a i5 & 970. If you already own a G3258 and you apparently have enough money for a new GPU, there's no reason to cheap out on the GPU. If you own a 970 already and you only play those WD/C3/BF4 titles and people recommend a G3258 over a 6300/i3/i5 filling it up with lies that it won't bottleneck are just annoying dumbheads.

Anyways, it's just a great budget CPU for the majority of the games out there except a few games where the i3 will do vastly better just for 40$ more. This CPU received a lot of love. Why exactly? Because of its unlocked multiplier? No because of media. I haven't had the chance to recommend this CPU yet to anyone, not a lot of people are on such budgets and even if they are they don't mind spending 40$ more. You're not going to convince those newbies, how many times didn't we read hilarious BS from them while we putted so much effort trying to prove them wrong while they dismissed it? 

If you really want to give people a better idea how this CPU actually performs like, lets be fair Linus his video was nothing more or less tailored, test it with a simple GPU in lots of different games extensively and then pull your conclusions in a review out. What do people mainly play? Singleplayer/multiplayer games, test the most popular games out and give an opinion/testing result for each of them. The thread title you decided to use will come offensively over, imagine if I make a new thread "how great is a 8350 at 5GHz" with 4 Titans in SLI and show CPU bound multiplayer games only with a lot of criticism towards that CPU, then the thread will get locked.

snip

i respect you and i do get your point, i got fed up this morning about this cpu i've been reading so much bs on it lately it's like if it was the god of all cpu's sometimes on this forum and IM SURE some users has bought into this not knowing what they where getting into...let's face it, not everybody will be able to clock these things at upward of 4.2ghz consistently and many of these pentiums are poor bins anyway that has no chance of even reaching high frequencies, and even when they do, as proven by my video, they remain week in many situations...personaly i'd much rather have an 760K or FX-4300 than this...of course it allow a nice upgrade path to an i5 or an i7, but going with a core i3 and an H97 board also offers that for not much more...and that is also a much easier way for first time builder who don,t have to worry about overclocking the thing...i agree the title for this thread is not what i should have picked but i got carried away.

people consider this as a place holder for an i5 and a disposable CPU, heck it's still 80$ after taxes and shipping it's even more than that and many people pair this p.o.s with a good Z97 motherboard...often even buying an air cooler for it...all that money could go toward a core i5-4440 and an H81 motherboard instead.

nothing else...it just gets recommended way to much and in reality it's a bad buy.

an Athlon 760K is better at running these games for about the same price...and so is a core i3, the i3-4150 can be found at 109$ ATM.

That is an old debate and it was probed that the pentium its even and sometimes better than the athlon in almost every game.

metro-fr.png

arma-fr.png

That is an old debate and it was probed that the pentium its even and sometimes better than the athlon in almost every game.

arhh maybe it is maybe not, it's a game by game analysis i agree, but my point was mostly that a locked core i3 or core i5 with a cheap motherboard often won't cost much more and everybody agree that it performs worlds better in 95%+ of the games out there than even an heavily overclocked pentium.

I built a budget pc for my brother with this cpu clocked at 4.5ghz and my old 660ti i had and he gets about 60 fps in every game he plays at 1080p, you just have to understand with a cpu like this one you have to turn some settings down to medium, even low in some games, and i wouldn't pair it up with anything as powerful as a 970, that gpu would be wasted on this cpu.

what are you talking about the Pentium is way better than the athlon

In some games, sure. In all games, no.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.