How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

This was recorded using ShadowPlay (ShadowPlay does the recoring using only the GPU ressources) at 1080p using a 4.5ghz pentium dual core haswell CPU paired with a GTX 780.

Enjoy the low gpu load, low framerates and insane stuttering...this should be linked at least 10 times a day on here.

Seeing how the games run on high settings like that, i would suggest a GTX 660 or R9 270 as the maximum GPU to pair with this CPU...and this is assuming you are able to push the CPU to 4.5ghz (not all of them can even do that)

It's a good budget CPU to play MMO's and RTS and other older tech games, but for modern stuff it's pretty bad.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Bad?

Its dual core so don't expect it to perform very well when you are recording, even if you are using shadowplay it still uses some of the CPU resources, just not as much as if it was with something such as Fraps.

When you aren't recording it should be doing just fine, sure not as well as something like an i5 4690K would do, but for the price of it, it is quite powerful.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yeah, I have nowhere near the same result. Games run for me fine with my 770 and 660 Ti, with only GTA IV stuttering for me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's a 70$ processor, what do u expect?

Bad?

Its dual core so don't expect it to perform very well when you are recording, even if you are using shadowplay it still uses some of the CPU resources, just not as much as if it was with something such as Fraps.

When you aren't recording it should be doing just fine, sure not as well as something like an i5 4690K would do, but for the price of it, it is quite powerful.

no it does not, trust me i've done my testing on ShadowPlay and it DOES NOT IMPACT CPU PERFORMANCE...at all...the games run just as bad before i hit the record key.

It's a 70$ processor, what do u expect?

nothing else...it just gets recommended way to much and in reality it's a bad buy.

an Athlon 760K is better at running these games for about the same price...and so is a core i3, the i3-4150 can be found at 109$ ATM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I ended up watching the whole thing for the song (Nightwish - Wishmaster) and I hope you are ready for copyright notice.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

nothing else...it just gets recommended way to much and in reality it's a bad buy.

For a final end-game solution, its a bad buy; however, I see a lot of value in it as a temporary solution while you wait until you can afford an i5/i7. (It also depends what games the person intends to play --- if they're just games that run on two cores, than the pentium is the better choice). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I ended up watching the whole thing for the song (Nightwish - Wishmaster) and I hope you are ready for copyright notice.

i don,t care if they mute the video...

no it does not, trust me i've done my testing on ShadowPlay and it DOES NOT IMPACT CPU PERFORMANCE...at all...the games run just as bad before i hit the record key.

Then perhaps its just a bottleneck for your 780?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

For a final end-game solution, its a bad buy; however, I see a lot of value in it as a temporary solution while you wait until you can afford an i5/i7. (It also depends what games the person intends to play --- if they're just games that run on two cores, than the pentium is the better choice).

yes but Z97 and this or H97 and core i3?...

Then perhaps its just a bottleneck for your 780?

indeed it can play those games on low settings with a low end GPU...that's where it belongs.

1) bf4 is a multithreaded game that makes use of more than 2 cores. Most games don't.

2) deas rising 3 and watch_dogs are terrible ports and run like crap on every system

3) crysis is deliberately a performance hog with misoptimizations intended to make it perform poorly

4) crysis 3 is the most overbuilt game of the decade with effects that have next to no effect on visual quality but tank the framerate like it's nobody's business

5) which cretin buys a pentium to pair with a 780? The 3258 is aimed at low budget gaming builds with cards like the 750ti or R9 270, not at high end rigs with gpus that are 4 times as expensive, OR as a placeholder if you need your pc to work while you are waitingto have the money for your i5 or i7.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yes but Z97 and this or H97 and core i3?...

z97 + 3258 -- > z97 + 4690k/4790k 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ok this is kinda scary,I am putting this CPU on my new Gig-Z97X-UD5H ,,,,,to save money but plan on running it with a GTX 970 will it be ok till I get my I7?

you have an i7... what is 2% performance for an i7 is 20% on a pentium. Plus, performance percentages notoriously aren't trustworthy on i7s because they consider every logical core as a physical one meanin ghtat if every physical core is running a single thread and is getting maxed out, the performance bar still shows as 50%.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1) bf4 is a multithreaded game that makes use of more than 2 cores. Most games don't.

2) deas rising 3 and watch_dogs are terrible ports and run like crap on every system

3) crysis is deliberately a performance hog with misoptimizations intended to make it perform poorly

4) crysis 3 is the most overbuilt game of the decade with effects that have next to no effect on visual quality but tank the framerate like it's nobody's business

5) which cretin buys a pentium to pair with a 780? The 3258 is aimed at low budget gaming builds with cards like the 750ti or R9 270, not at high end rigs with gpus that are 4 times as expensive, OR as a placeholder if you need your pc to work while you are waitingto have the money for your i5 or i7.

1- I'm seeing this CPU being recommended to people looking to play BF4 on it EVERY DAY on this forum.

2-well...they both run smooth as butter at above 60FPS at all time on my system...what's your point? they are demanding open world games...nothing else.

3- Again crisys 3 runs very well on my machine

4- Again crisys 3 runs very well on my machine

5- i've seen it paired with GTX 970 asked for bottleneck: answer : No it wont!!! that's the reason i made this video so you guys can link it!

Ok this is kinda scary,I am putting this CPU on my new Gig-Z97X-UD5H ,,,,,to save money but plan on running it with a GTX 970 will it be ok till I get my I7?

If you have the money for a 970 you should consider a better cpu... or get an i5 and a lower end gpu like a 960 (supposed to launch soon) or an R9 285.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

z97 + 3258 -- > z97 + 4690k/4790k

H97 + i3-4150 -- > h97 + 1231v3 or i7-4790

you have an i7... what is 2% performance for an i7 is 20% on a pentium. Plus, performance percentages notoriously aren't trustworthy on i7s because they consider every logical core as a physical one meanin ghtat if every physical core is running a single thread and is getting maxed out, the performance bar still shows as 50%.

i'm not stupid of course i,ve tested performance hit with the dual core CPU...it's negligeable at best...within the margin of error.

I had pre bought everything except the CPU and got low on cash, plus I have never overclocked before and figured I would try in on a lees expensive cpu at first,,,;[

1- I'm seeing this CPU being recommended to people looking to play BF4 on it EVERY DAY on this forum.

2-well...they both run smooth as butter at above 60FPS at all time on my system...what's your point? they are demanding open world games...nothing else.

3- Again crisys 3 runs very well on my machine

4- Again crisys 3 runs very well on my machine

5- i've seen it paired with GTX 970 asked for bottleneck: answer : No it wont!!! that's the reason i made this video so you guys can link it!

1) yes, not at ultra with a 780 though

2) I call bs on any system running watch dogs "butter smooth" on ultra unless there has been a SERIOUS performance patch I haven't heard anything about. Dead rising 3 is a bit less tanky but still has a lot of framerate dips when it shouldn't; if you pair it with a cheap cpu, what are you expecting?

3) & 4) YOU HAVE AN I7. It's 4 times as expensive as the pentium. FOUR TIMES. If a game is unnecessarily heavy on the cpu you won't notice it on the most powerful consumer cpu on the market.

5) I don't know who recommends high end gpus with super cheap cpus, but that's a matter of recommending unbalanced builds, not wether this cpu is actually good for the price or not.

By the way, do you ACTUALLY own a 3258? Or did you make this by isolating 2 cores of your i7?

I had pre bought everything except the CPU and got low on cash, plus I have never overclocked before and figured I would try in on a lees expensive cpu at first,,,;[

Well, t this point either wait for the money to get a better cpu, or get the pentium as a placeholder.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

OP:

*pairs 70$ CPU with 500$ GPU... proceeds to get annoyed at the bottleneck...

le facepalm

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Save up and get a better CPU right at the start, that way you don't end up wasting money on a cheap shittier CPU.

1) yes, not at ultra with a 780 though

2) I call bs on any system running watch dogs "butter smooth" on ultra unless there has been a SERIOUS performance patch I haven't heard anything about. Dead rising 3 is a bit less tanky but still has a lot of framerate dips when it shouldn't; if you pair it with a cheap cpu, what are you expecting?

3) & 4) YOU HAVE AN I7. It's 4 times as expensive as the pentium. FOUR TIMES. If a game is unnecessarily heavy on the cpu you won't notice it on the most powerful consumer cpu on the market.

5) I don't know who recommends high end gpus with super cheap cpus, but that's a matter of recommending unbalanced builds, not wether this cpu is actually good for the price or not.

By the way, do you ACTUALLY own a 3258? Or did you make this by isolating 2 cores of your i7?

it was done on the i7 disabling 2 cores along with hyperthreading in the uefi, so the cpu was even given full access to 8mb of cache clocked at 4.4ghz

and yes watchdogs defenetly runs butter smooth at 1080p with 4.2ghz i7 and gtx780...in fact it even does it while recording here's the proof, the i7 is the last cpu i've tested in this video:

You will be fine. The Pentium is a great temporary processor that will serve you well in the meantime. I would also like to point out that this map, I believe its Welcome to the Jungle. Is one of the few very well multithreaded maps in the game so of course a Pentium's performance will tank. The vast majority of users experience excellent results for what the processor is and for you, as a stopgap, it is a great buy. Much better to buy a high end GPU paired with a Z motherboard and pentium with the intention to upgrade to an i5 or i7 than going with an i5 + R9 280.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."